how do you maintain good hair

Options

Replies

• sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take a capsule biotin supplement...it's relatively cheap (about $7 a bottle)...my hair use to fall in clumps! But after taking it for a month+ my hair hardly falls at all...
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Quit using a blow dryer and try not to use any product in your hair. Also, try and wash your hair less or get a wash/wear style. I use a blow dryer maybe once a year and my hair is so thick, the salon has to thin it every time I'm in. I've had long hair and short hair (which I find much more practical).
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    Options
    Rub coconut oil all over your hair. Let it sit overnight in a towel.

This works wonders for me, too. Helps with really dry and itchy scalp. And makes hair so soft. But it has to be about 8-12 hours for it to really soak in thoroughly. That is my experience, as well as others.
  • VelcroButt
    VelcroButt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've had to stop using heat styling most of the time because I have to wash my hair so frequently. It's the one big downside to daily exercise for me. I've learned some interesting new braids and usually braid my hair now but I do miss my old heat-styled hair.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Why must you people remind me that I have no hair D:
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found is to take a biotin supplement (b vitamin). It really keeps my hair soft, shiny and healthy esp with so much abuse from exercise, cutting calories, all the washing.
  • allredal
    allredal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't wash my hair every day either or I will also have issues with it drying out. Dry shampoo is awesome! I actually love the Suave brand in the gold can, very inexpensive as well. Victoria Secret has one that smells amazing!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My hair has become nasty dry from all the shampooing after workout...and having to restyle my hair (with heat) so frequently.
    Is there any techniques you do that keeps your hair looking good after workout?
    I know this is going to sound weird, but I am dead serious (you can look it up if you don't believe me), but buy some cheap beer and at least once a week, between shampoo and conditioner, rinse it through your hair.

I also do a deep conditioning mask once a week and that helps.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why must you people remind me that I have no hair D:

The bullying on here really is ridiculous.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Shampoo roots only, condition the ends only. Use dry shampoo when you can. I like Klorane. More expensive but worth it.

Don't heat style it which can make it more dry and damaged.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you don't wash your hair every day what do you do on the no wash days? Do you wet your hair and just not use shampoo/conditioner? Or do you just try to not get it wet?
    I've washed my hair every day in the shower for as long as I can remember. It would feel weird for me to shower without washing my hair but I've been thinking about going to every other day. Just not sure what to do in between.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair daily using whatever shampoo last caught my attention, this usually also means it's cheap.
    Sometimes, unintentionally, I wash it with body wash.
    I do not use a blow drier or other device aside from a brush.
    I do not use styling products.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you don't wash your hair every day what do you do on the no wash days? Do you wet your hair and just not use shampoo/conditioner? Or do you just try to not get it wet?
    I've washed my hair every day in the shower for as long as I can remember. It would feel weird for me to shower without washing my hair but I've been thinking about going to every other day. Just not sure what to do in between.

Before I started working out and not getting a sweat on I just wouldn't wash it. I could easy go a week and not wash it. Your scalp produces some wonderful oils in it that your hair loves, using harsh chemicals that most shampoos have just strips all that away. Unless my hair is dirty I don't see a need to wash it.

These days I workout every day so I at least want to rinse my scalp clean.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I can't wash my hair every day. I have long baby fine hair that naturally tends to dryness. If I sleep just right and I'm not looking to impress anyone I can even make it a third day without a wash. I just throw my hair into a pony/bun on the top of my head in the shower; it's no biggie if my roots get a teeny bit damp. I also almost never heat style - a normal day gets just a minute or two with the blow dryer, enough so that it has a bit of lift and isn't making my clothes wet, and curling/flat iron only for special occasions.

Personally, I work my workout schedule around my hair, sort of (it works out for other reasons but I do "schedule" my shampoo around my workouts). In a typical week (ok, hush, my gym-going has been slacking lately, but this is how it SHOULD be! :laugh: ) Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays are the days of the week where I really get going enough to get pretty sweaty, so I wash my hair Mondays and Thursdays...and weekends I wash whichever day I want/need to look decent, if there is one, and my husband and kids just have to deal with a slight stink the other day :wink: .
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Before I started working out and not getting a sweat on I just wouldn't wash it. I could easy go a week and not wash it. Your scalp produces some wonderful oils in it that your hair loves, using harsh chemicals that most shampoos have just strips all that away. Unless my hair is dirty I don't see a need to wash it.

This may be a stupid question but did you wear a shower cap or something to keep it from getting wet in the shower?
  • Kayzia_M
    Kayzia_M Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this has already been said.
    Instead of shampoo u could just use your conditioner. (Co-washing) the conditioner has enough ingredients in it to cleanse your hair, but unlike shampoos which have a boatload of sulphites in them (which is what fries out your hair), conditioners help to moisturise your hair. For added moisture and healthier hair,you could always try a protein treatment on weekends. Hope this helps!
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options

This may be a stupid question but did you wear a shower cap or something to keep it from getting wet in the shower?

Nope I just make sure the shower head is angled to not hit my head, I put it up in a bun on top of my head so it's out the way as it's very long.
  • LadyLeo813
    LadyLeo813 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo sometimes. It helps drastically. I have long, dry, kinky afro hair though, so my hair can use all the moisture it can get
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I wet my hair down.

I used to shampoo every day, but as I got older, my hair got very dry and daily shampooing is not good.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My hair use to be the same, I have natural frizzy and curly hair.. But I usually use 2 pumps of conditioner to 1 pump shampoo, then I sometimes use deep conditioner , I only wash my hair every other day and i use dry shampoo . And when I go to the salon I ask them to use a clarifying shampoo, but I'm sure you can get good ones for cheap somewhere..
    This works for me :)

Plus washing your hair everyday isn't good for it, it will takeaway your natural oil and leave your hair feeling crusty

You can also try keratin shampoo set..