How much protein per day

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I spoke with a nutritionist who said .6-.8 per kilogram of LEAN bodyweight is ideal (as others have been saying in this thread). I want to stress the distinction between actual weight and lean body weight though, You should calculate what percentage of your body isn't fat and use that as your multiplier...there are calculators online that can help you do this!

0.6 to 0.8 per kg of lean body mass is too little for someone who exercises regularly. You sure you didn't hear per lb and mistake it for kg?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I spoke with a nutritionist who said .6-.8 per kilogram of LEAN bodyweight is ideal (as others have been saying in this thread). I want to stress the distinction between actual weight and lean body weight though, You should calculate what percentage of your body isn't fat and use that as your multiplier...there are calculators online that can help you do this!

I don't think that's accurate. My understanding is when using kilograms, use total body weight. When using pounds, use lean body weight.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend 0.8 grams per 1lbs of body mass. You can, if you want, have up to 1.2

^gotta agree with this
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'll be dead in 50 years because of all the red meat, butter, and sugar I eat. But go ahead and laugh at a dead person if it makes you feel better.
    I applaud you for at least admitting that stuff compromises your health. There are too many on this site who think that stuff is health promoting...

Oh, you thought I was serious?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.

Congrats on your nomination for the Darwin Award :drinker:

PS. This advice is going to end up harming someone.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.

This advice helps a lot of people. The leading causes of death in this country are diseases of dietary excess. If people want a Darwin Award, all they have to do is follow advice from people like you.

Ya see, there's what you say, and there is reality. The reality is that premature death comes from doing what you do, not from eating a lot of fruits and vegetables.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The leading causes of death in this country are diseases of dietary excess.

And you are connecting this with protein intake... brilliant.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This advice helps a lot of people. The leading causes of death in this country are diseases of dietary excess. If people want a Darwin Award, all they have to do is follow advice from people like you.

Ya see, there's what you say, and there is reality. The reality is that premature death comes from doing what you do, not from eating a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Congratulations on your abject failure to understand causation.

And congratulations on your truly impressive loss of lean mass. That's going to serve you well into old age.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Your link states the leading causes of death, not what causes them.

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/vegetarians_found_to_have_more_cancer_allergies_and_mental_health_disorders-133332

The study cited in the above article demonstrates lowest cancer risk to those of an omnivorous diet. It also shows a lower incidence of Cardiac infarction to those consuming an omnivorous diet.

Veganism is not compared, which is a shame.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'll be dead in 50 years because of all the red meat, butter, and sugar I eat. But go ahead and laugh at a dead person if it makes you feel better.
    I applaud you for at least admitting that stuff compromises your health. There are too many on this site who think that stuff is health promoting...

I believe she meant she expects to still attain the average life span for a female at this point in time, all the while eating red meat and sugar, just as I expect the same.

Please, please stop demonizing food.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends who you ask. For you, taking into account what you have posted, it is doubtful that you need to worry about hitting any prescribed amount of protein. Just be mindful of eating as much as you can given your circumstances and particular motivations and I'm sure you will be fine.

With regard to the broader debate: I believe judging intake by - albeit this is usually an informed guess - LBM is far more useful when giving recommendations to most people, especially to obese people and the reason for that is obvious. This said, most people choose to err on the side of eating more than they probably "need" as they make the judgment that the opportunity cost of not getting dem gainz is too high. That is a perfectly reasonable choice to make.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat at my TDEE minus 15-10% which puts me at 1800-2100 calories roughly and a lot of it comes from protein. I try to aim around 6-8% grams per lb. I usually even out around 100 grams though and I eat plenty of meat, but usually get my protein numbers up by using a scoop of unflavored whey (isopure) with my chocolate milk for my post workout snack. I also add my whey protein to other various things I eat (smoothies work great). If you're trying to lose weight you can still eat lots of protein and will promote lean muscle mass development. Where I'm at right now, I work out 5-6 days a week cardio or heavy lifting, eating around 100 grams of protein, and I'm losing about a quarter to half a pound a week. Granted, I'm 4 lbs from my goal weight and weight comes off very slowly. I plan on staying at what I'm eating consistently even after I hit goal. 1800-2100 calories is easy to eat at and keeps me from making poor food choices for meals.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You're so brainwashed....
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

^Don't listen to this guy. He has no idea what he's talking about EVER. Every post he makes is blatantly incorrect or it's an opinion that he states as a fact.
  • Lofteren
    Options

Darwin awards huh? Darwin's theory is evolution by survival of the fittest. Let's say you and I got in a fight, who would survive?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You messed up. It seems you directed this comment at me. This should actually be directed at you. I'm, afterall, not the one advocating a lethal diet.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You messed up. It seems you directed this comment at me. This should actually be directed at you. I'm, afterall, not the one advocating a lethal diet.

Well from the looks of your profile pic you are advocating a lethal diet...you my friend do not look healthy! I will stick with my steak
  • Lofteren
    Options

Well from the looks of your profile pic you are advocating a lethal diet...you my friend do not look healthy! I will stick with my steak

Why? You don't want a pair of pythons like ole' Rocbola is showing off in his avatar? I hope you bought tickets... ;)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

DYEL?