MFP old-timer gaining and in need of fresh inspiration

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
"1142 day streak"

Wow, time flies when you're enjoying yourself!

When I joined MFP I was hovering around the 14 stone mark (196lbs) at 5' 8", just tipping into obesity. By following MFP's goals to the letter and finding exercise I loved, much of it running, I lost over 2 stone (32lbs if I remember rightly), nice and steadily.

But this last year it's all gone wrong; my weight is steadily climbing and I'm on the slippery slope towards obesity again. Half my wardrobe doesn't fit or is so uncomfortable I have to change into my sweatpants when I get home.

I track most days (I was away this weekend) but I'm completely unmotivated to stay under, and exercise is sporadic. And sometimes the odd glass of wine or chocolate biscuit slips in untracked because I'm ashamed.

It's not like I don't have goals; I've got plenty of upcoming social events I'd like to slim down for and races to train for, and I want to be light on my feet as I transition to barefoot running. But at the minute I'm on a slippery slope towards obesity again.

Any ideas to get back on track, especially from other MFP old-timers who've been there and succeeded second time around?

The tools I have at my disposal are a gym membership (with pool), FitBit One, a home exercise bike and stepper, and a whole shelf of workout DVDs. (Edit: and at least half a dozen different pairs of awesome running shoes!). The events I'm training for are 5K, 5 mile and 10km runs, and a 15km night hike. The event I'd most like to look awesome is a 35 year(!) from joining school reunion in July. I love exercise when I motivate myself to do it, but I hate restrictive eating.

Replies

• BerryH
    Options
    Case in point, today's diary. I was bang-on until I added the 700 calories (!) of snacks I scarfed. Now I've moved the office chocolate biscuits (cookies) to another desk rather than my in-tray!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I track most days (I was away this weekend) but I'm completely unmotivated to stay under, and exercise is sporadic. And sometimes the odd glass of wine or chocolate biscuit slips in untracked because I'm ashamed.

Why are you unmotivated to stay under? If it's too hard to stay under your calorie goal, why not give yourself an ultimatum? "I can have this biscuit and exercise it off, or else I don't eat it."

Perhaps try pre-logging all snacks. Take a smaller lunch knowing you want 3 biscuits or plan to take a swim after work.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Motivation is tough! But just try to remember that you CAN do this. Proof is there - you've done this in the past, therefore why doubt your future success? What helped to motivate you before?

There are a couple things you could try to Re: snacking....

1) PRE- log your day so that you fit the snacks into your calorie allotment and sacrifice some other stuff

OR

2) stop buying snacks for a month or so - sometimes we just need to shake it out of our system for a bit. Spring and summer might help - fresh fruit and veggies - perfect outdoor running. These things may help.

Just find something about this lifestyle that you can hang on to and use it to fuel your determination!

Good luck! You can do it!!! :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just take it one day at a time. I have been here about 3 years and slowly lost about 39 pounds. I have some days (like this weekend) that I do go over but I keep it to one or two days. You can do it. Just remember how good the exercise makes you feel and how much eating too much makes exercise more difficult. I also try to plan my indulgent days. This weekend my hubby and I took a special weekend out to see a band we like so I knew I was going to eat a bit more and drink alcohol. It helps me stay on track the rest of the time.
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i could have written your post myself... i am on 773 day streak and lost over a stone 2 years ago, but over the last 6 months i just can't seem to motivate myself. Like you i know what to do and know what works and I am 50 this year so that should be enough motivation to lose the weight, but doesn't seem to. i like exercise its the eating thats a problem.

Add me as a friend if you think i can help....... i know all the right things to do but don't always tell myself.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oh, and here's another motivator. I'm determined to have less "bellulite" by the end of the month!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1239462-berry-s-bare-belly-challenge-april-2014
  • BerryH
    Options
    Why are you unmotivated to stay under? If it's too hard to stay under your calorie goal, why not give yourself an ultimatum? "I can have this biscuit and exercise it off, or else I don't eat it."

Perhaps try pre-logging all snacks. Take a smaller lunch knowing you want 3 biscuits or plan to take a swim after work.
    I don't know, I used to be so proud of closing off an on-track diary. The unplanned snacks are what colleagues bring in... and put on my in-tray as the communal snack tray! I just moved them out of sight and out of mind today.

Exercising off definitely worked for me before, especially getting a "lunchtime stomp" in every weekday, to keep my FitBit happy!
  • BerryH
    Options
    2) stop buying snacks for a month or so - sometimes we just need to shake it out of our system for a bit. Spring and summer might help - fresh fruit and veggies - perfect outdoor running. These things may help.
    Thanks! I'm going to get a big bowl from the pound shop tomorrow and fill it with fruit within my eyeline!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Just remember how good the exercise makes you feel and how much eating too much makes exercise more difficult.
    This is so true! Lugging 13 and a half stone round a hilly 5K is no fun at all!
  • BerryH
    Options
    i could have written your post myself... i am on 773 day streak and lost over a stone 2 years ago, but over the last 6 months i just can't seem to motivate myself. Like you i know what to do and know what works and I am 50 this year so that should be enough motivation to lose the weight, but doesn't seem to. i like exercise its the eating thats a problem.

Add me as a friend if you think i can help....... i know all the right things to do but don't always tell myself.
    Always great to make new friends in a similar situation :flowerforyou:
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight in 2010 if I remember correctly and have been maintaining ever since. Barely log anymore, but I have set myself a "maximum weight" (9st10lb, my ideal weight is 9st6lb), so I give myself about 4lb leeway). As soon as I go past that weight (which is now, boooo!), I have to tighten the reigns again big time.

So back to the fruit bowls and workout videos and gagging the beak... Oh and reading here to find my inspiration again!

No matter how often you fall off the wagon, trust yourself to always jump back on.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I lost the weight in 2010 if I remember correctly and have been maintaining ever since. Barely log anymore, but I have set myself a "maximum weight" (9st10lb, my ideal weight is 9st6lb), so I give myself about 4lb leeway). As soon as I go past that weight (which is now, boooo!), I have to tighten the reigns again big time.

So back to the fruit bowls and workout videos and gagging the beak... Oh and reading here to find my inspiration again!

No matter how often you fall off the wagon, trust yourself to always jump back on.
    Sounds about right! Closing off my diary would be a good start so my friends can keep an eye on me.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hi Bez! You know me, up and down like a bride's nightie, BUT I agree that there should be a maximum marker much like the previous poster. If you hit that then be firm with yourself until you're comfortably under it again.

When you get to the office tomorrow make a sign for your in tray stating that any foods left there will be treated as suspicious packages and destroyed immediately (or put on someone else's desk if you've not got the balls for it).

Instead of looking at pictures of how you are now and beating yourself up about it, why not change your picture to your khaki-t-shirt-kick-*kitten*-Berry photo and aim for that again? Look to the future my dear, look at what you know you are able to achieve.

Finally, don't let anyone else dictate what or when you eat, or what exercise you can do. Sod them. I got fat eating and working out like a certain someone else, and I ain't going back there. If that means doing it alone, so be it. ((((hugs))))
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    After maintaining for a year I let life get in the way and I put 14lbs back on of my 31 lbs lost. Basically, I got lazy with making healthy choices and logging. I was still exercising but with the bad food choices and not logging all of the exercise was not doing me any good. I had also strayed away from the scales. I knew my clothes were getting tight, but I just didn't want to see the number on the scale. Somehow I have finally gotten my head back together and I have dropped 7lbs of the 14 that I had put back on and I feel so much better! I log everyday, try to make healthier choices (most days) and I weigh in on a regular basis.
    Long story short, let how good you felt before be your drive and motivation. Look back at your diary in the beginning and let the discipline that you had then be the motivation that you need now. Get your groove back Berry and just KNOW that YOU CAN do this!!
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would say a big start would be to not have tempting treats right on your desk :-). Why torture yourself? Have healthy, low-cal, enjoyable snacks at the ready. Maybe cut out a few things you've let slip back into the rest of your diet.

I think it's very easy to let the pounds slip back on, because we tend to forget how awful it felt to be at our highest weight. It is so easy just to eat to much and eat the wrong things. If we don't have a fresh memory of feeling huge and uncomfortable, the dis-incentive can be less. Maybe think about a time when you really hated how you felt, and know that you don't want to go back there. I know that sounds like negative thinking, but the truth is that as people we are more motivated by fear of losing something we want (our slimmer bodies) than by anticipation of getting something we want.

If you enjoyed the exercise, perhaps spending the time doing that will make you feel energized enough that you'll think twice before cancelling out the calories you burned by eating cookies. I know when I'm exercising, I feel more stingy about eating junk because I think about how long I'd have to exercise to burn it off!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I've been here since August 2010 and hit my goal weight in April of 2011. Did a decent job maintaining within a range until some major life stressors hit in 2013 and healthy eating and logging was not on my agenda anymore. I gained back 15 of the 23 lbs I had lost, my clothes got tight and I actually had to go buy some new pants in a larger size. I've slowly taken off 5 lbs of that but still have 10 to get back to my ultimate number. I actually had reverted to some old bad habits (fad diets, eliminating certain foods) in the hopes I'd jump start everything and get motivated. Of course none of those worked. So I put it out there to my MFP friends list that for the next month I was going to log every single thing I ate and close my diary even if it was bad. I gave up the scale for lent so can't tell you a number but I can feel it in my clothes that it's working. I'm just like stefpayne - I love to exercise but I love to eat more. Now I'm taking it one day at a time and focusing on logging everything. Then I will add in something else. You know how to do it, you just have to recommit to yourself. Good luck!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi Berry,
    I was having trouble too. I have gained weight after losing some on MFP. I had to have a "COME TO JESUS" meeting with myself and ask myself what I wanted from life.
    1. I love to run and being heavy interferes with my running
    2. I love clothes and I find clothes I like better when I'm not so heavy
    3. I love sex (Geez, did I say that outloud??!!!) and I feel less inhibited with the hubby when my "wobbly bits" don't wobble so much!

For Lent I gave up sweets and booze (which was really, really hard!!) but I think the whole Lenten season has helped me focus on what is important and what I want from life. But I'm also not banging on myself because I realize I was slipping back into weight gain when I wasn't making myself a priority.

So exercise and eat right but don't deprive yourself of everything. But I found that staying off of my "trigger foods" at least for a while has helped me get back on track.

As one of my MFP friends you have been a personal inspiration to me so getting a chance to cheerlead for you has been an honor!
    Big Hugs!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Berry,

You know you can do this!! It's very hard to concentrate on losing weight and accomplish your goals when there is so much other stuff on your plate to contend with in life.

1. Plan your food for the day and log first thing in the morning
    2. Don't forego all the treats....you'll just end up craving them more. Either factor them in or use your exercise calories as treat allowances......no exercise, no treats!
    3. Berry's in-tray = Berry's treats....fill it with healthy stuff just for you (unsalted nuts, fruit, veg etc), and you alone. And tell everyone else to keep their cotton-pickin', filthy mitts off!
    4. Are you friendly with any of the trainers at the gym? I have at least 2 trainers from our gym who are also friends with me on MFP. They never actually comment on my diary, but the fact that they might sneak a peek every so often is enough to make me more conscious of what I'm eating.
    5. Hang that outfit from your profile pic somewhere where you can see it for motivation........and stick a 'fat Berry' pic (if you have one) on the fridge.
    6. Drink.....but not too much of the falling-down stuff! Water & herbal tea are good for you. The more you drink, the more you need to wee......a win, win situation, especially if you have to run upstairs to get to the loo!

I was set a challenge at the beginning of January by my (then) personal trainer to stick to 3 meals a day, eating whatever I want for those meals, but to cut out snacks. At first I thought it would be impossible.....snacks, as we all know, are better than proper meals :wink: Believe me, it got easier, even though there are the occasional times when I lapse. I cook different meals for myself (I don't do meat, but live with carnivores), so I can have whatever I like. They've got the message now.....for example, they regularly have dessert late in the evening - but they don't even ask me now if I want any. Since 4th January, I've gone from 144.1 down to 129.7 - in the space of 13 weeks......an average of just over a pound a week. Nobody says it has to be quick :smile:

Remember.......all your friends at MFP are here cheering you on!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Instead of looking at pictures of how you are now and beating yourself up about it, why not change your picture to your khaki-t-shirt-kick-*kitten*-Berry photo and aim for that again? Look to the future my dear, look at what you know you are able to achieve.
    <--- Your wish is my command!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Somehow I have finally gotten my head back together and I have dropped 7lbs of the 14 that I had put back on and I feel so much better! I log everyday, try to make healthier choices (most days) and I weigh in on a regular basis.
    Long story short, let how good you felt before be your drive and motivation. Look back at your diary in the beginning and let the discipline that you had then be the motivation that you need now. Get your groove back Berry and just KNOW that YOU CAN do this!!
    Well done on getting back there! I think weighing every day works better for me than leaving it for a week or more - I can star doing something about it that day rather than doing a suck-it-and-see!