Am I the only one who does this?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wear what's comfortable and my hair goes into a bun. I don't look cute when I workout.

But who cares how they look at you? Do your thing. The gym isn't the place to be cute. It's the place to go to make sure you look cute everywhere else!
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I still don't wear make-up or heels to the gym, and I have no intention of changing that. I see people there in make up and "cute outfits" and honestly I don't see them sweat much. For some people, it's about "finding someone" or whatever.... but as long as they stay out of my way and let me get my work done in a time-efficient manner, I can ignore them.
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options
    The gym isn't the place to be cute. It's the place to go to make sure you look cute everywhere else!
    Ohhh I love this!
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I honestly go out of my way to take my makeup off before working out because I don't like the way it feels to sweat under my SPF moisturizer. That being said, there's nothing wrong with wearing makeup and cute outfits at the gym as long as you're there to work and not to get in the way. I, personally, can think of no better place than the gym to look like "rubbish" as it's what I've been doing for years (including when I was in college). I do like to shower and maybe put a bit of mascara on in the locker room before I leave, but that's really only because I have to go brave the streets of NYC immediately after a workout (most people in my neighborhood are always dressed pretty well).
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out, my hair goes into a messy pony tail with a headband that doesn't even sort of match my outfit (zebra print, anyone?). If I've got makeup on, it's the makeup I put on hours earlier before work, and I certainly didn't do it for the gym. I wear my tennis shoes that have seen better days, workout pants, and a baggy t-shirt.

I wouldn't necessarily think that a girl that's all dolled up isn't dedicated or isn't there to exercise, but I do think they look really silly. None of my business, though. I just don't understand it. I have no one to impress at the gym, and I seriously doubt anyone is looking at me. They should be there to work out, not look at what the other gym patrons are wearing. If they are looking, that's their problem if they have an issue with my clothes.

I'd never consider going to a gym anywhere near a college campus. I don't particularly like people under the age of 30 (I'm 24 and a recent college graduate). I actually hate gyms in general and now have my own equipment for lifting at home. Yay! At home, I wear shorts (whether I've shaved my legs lately or not), a sports bra with a big hole in it, and whatever t-shirt I slept in. My teeth usually aren't brushed and my hair is a hot mess. I'm also usually barefoot. This morning I didn't even bother putting my contacts in before heading to my workout room.

In other words...I don't give a shiiiiiiit. Now, I do my hair and makeup and dress nice for work or to go out any other time. But the gym? No. There's no point in it.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I dress for comfort and to get my *kitten* done.

I don't care how others dress but texting/ a long conversation/ playing games/ while sitting on a machine I want to use is just poor manners at any gym.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym all dolled up like you're going to a photo shoot is stupid... That's like going to McDonald's, ordering a super-sized big mac meal and getting diet coke to drink. It just doesn't make sense.

Dress for comfort and get to work. Simple as that.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am a sweats and a tee shirt kind of girl, I always have been. My clothes do match when I go to the gym and my hair is in a ponytail. I rarely wear makeup so I don't wear it to the gym.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    How do you know they are glaring at you because you're not wearing make up or a cute outfit? Maybe your boobs bounce a lot or your breathing is loud and labored? Maybe your sweat flies everywhere like this young guy who always wants to run next to me.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You know, out of reading this whole thread, all I can say is that I am really impressed by that girl on a bike in heels. Have you ever tried that? Now THAT'S prepping for the club. What a trooper.

It really can't be that hard. First of all it's stationary. Secondly only your forefoot is on the pedal. Now if she were on an elliptical or running on the treadmill at an 8 minute mile pace I'd be more impressed.

Like this? girl_bda69d_2309862.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, so for me, it's all about Get. Stuff. Done. Because at home I have more to do besides lift. *shrugs*
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm usually too busy, you know, working out to give two ****s what someone else is doing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    heels would not be allowed at my gym...they have a dress code. as far as girls being all cute and matching, etc...my wife usually goes to the gym right after work so she has her makeup on and hair done and what not...she also likes to coordinate and look cute and has cute little workout clothes but is still quite capable of a quality clean and jerk and has a pretty nice snatch as well...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't dress up for the gym. Sweat pants and t-shirts all the way. LOL!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    heels would not be allowed at my gym...they have a dress code. as far as girls being all cute and matching, etc...my wife usually goes to the gym right after work so she has her makeup on and hair done and what not...she also likes to coordinate and look cute and has cute little workout clothes but is still quite capable of a quality clean and jerk and has a pretty nice snatch as well...

Great sex pun disguised as workout lingo. That couldn't have been on accident, could it?
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I work out during lunch- so if I've done make up that day, its on my face. As for my work out clothes, depends on the day. I work at a college so I work out with mostly college students. As others have stated- as long as someone is not in my way while I am trying to use a machine/weights, I really couldn't care what they are wearing. And frankly, neither should anyone else.

People have this incessant need to judge others that are different than them. Leave them alone. As long as they are not directly effecting you or your workout than you don't have a leg to stand on. To each his own. You want tolerance, than practice what you preach.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Your gym allows people to wear heels?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Great sex pun disguised as workout lingo. That couldn't have been on accident, could it?

Pun intended, but she is becoming a pretty good Oly lifter.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym all dolled up like you're going to a photo shoot is stupid... That's like going to McDonald's, ordering a super-sized big mac meal and getting diet coke to drink. It just doesn't make sense.

but it kinda does if i need protein, fat, and carbs, but want to save on calories and sugar.

OP, there are other people in your gym?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Hope your day is going well!

So here is my thing,I do a lot of home work outs, so when I actually go to the gym, I go there to Get.Stuff. Done. I don't go there to flirt or hang out, I go there to sweat. And a lot. The thing is, I go to the gym at my university and it's filled with girls with their hair done all nice and cute, make up on, and some cute matching outfit (Once I saw a girl on the bike in heels. No lie) and they glare at me for having the audacity to show up in a baggy shirt and shorts with my hair pulled back out of my way and either in a messy ponytail or braid.

So my question is, am I the only one who does this? Should I start dressing up? Are the days of showing up at the gym to work out over? I could really use some feedback that Im not alone in this lol Do you guys get this too?

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

my hair is done
    my make up is on
    and I'm always in a cute matching out fit

I can dead lift almost 300 lbs.

guess I don't work out?

show up how you want- and do what you want- who cares why they are there as long as they aren't in your way talking while you want to use equipment.

stop snarking on chicks who don't want to do what you want to do. I work REALLY effing hard. I also NEVER step out of my house looking like rubbish. I also hate baggy clothes- I also have short hair- which means it must be done- or I like like a 6 year old little boy.
    I also work in close proximity to my job- which means I run into people at work.

You focus on YOU. If you like your baggy clothes- then wear them. I hate them- don't own them. won't work out in them. That's fine. My clothing choices- have absolutely ZERO impact on you.

Hard work has nothing to do with your appearance.

So again- focus on you and unless yappy cell phone girls are in your way- just forget about it and realize you have a bad *kitten* bod you earned and are proud of in the summer time.

^This. It is possible to look cute and work your butt off. Gym wardrobe gives me extra motivation. I don't do the makeup thing, but to each his (her) own. I just think that heels are a safety hazard. :smile: