It's ok to indulge once in a while, right?

Options
13»

Replies

• 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No the outcome would not be the same. My point is 300 calories from mc Donald's are def different From 300 calories of salad because of the content in those calories. The fat, sodium and sugar levels will be all different and there for results will vary.

If food A has more fat and more sugar than food B, food A has more calories.

One food might have a better nutritional profile, but 300 calories is 300 calories.

Yes this. This is where a lot of people get confused and you summed it up nicely.
  • Int3rceptor
    Int3rceptor Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie whether it's from salad or a burger. It's purely a measurement of energy or heat.
    The nutrients may be very different but that's a not the discussion. We are talking about energy from food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've only removed from my diet what I think isn't worth the calories for the level of satiety it provides - fried foods, croissants, juice, soda, alcohol, that's pretty much it.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I have eliminated from my diet for the sake of fitness or weight loss, there are simply more factors than just taste and convenience going into my eating decisions.

However, some of you are very misguided... a caloric deficit is the ONLY thing necessary for weight loss. You can eat all your calories in candy if you want to and you will lose weight. The reasons for making healthier choices are based in your HEALTH not your WEIGHT. If you eat a 500-calorie salad (assuming it has protein and a fat in it) you will be more satisfied, have more energy, and have less diet-related /health/ issues than you would if you ate a 500-calorie brownie sundae or a greasy fast food cheeseburger. Making healthier eating choices makes it easier to eat at a deficit, because you're getting the right nutrients.

Guys, remember that weight loss is only your relationship with gravity - making a truly healthy lifestyle change and losing pounds are not the same thing!

ETA: Dietary fat does not make you fat. Sodium does not make you fat. A caloric surplus is what makes you gain fat.
  • KaHam6
    KaHam6 Posts: 36
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie whether it's from salad or a burger. It's purely a measurement of energy or heat.
    The nutrients may be very different but that's a not the discussion. We are talking about energy from food.

Okay. This makes sense to me.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If your goal was 2000 calories a day to lose weight, you could eat it all in twinkies and lose weight
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I have eliminated from my diet for the sake of fitness or weight loss, there are simply more factors than just taste and convenience going into my eating decisions.

However, some of you are very misguided... a caloric deficit is the ONLY thing necessary for weight loss. You can eat all your calories in candy if you want to and you will lose weight. The reasons for making healthier choices are based in your HEALTH not your WEIGHT. If you eat a 500-calorie salad (assuming it has protein and a fat in it) you will be more satisfied, have more energy, and have less diet-related /health/ issues than you would if you ate a 500-calorie brownie sundae or a greasy fast food cheeseburger. Making healthier eating choices makes it easier to eat at a deficit, because you're getting the right nutrients.

Guys, remember that weight loss is only your relationship with gravity - making a truly healthy lifestyle change and losing pounds are not the same thing!

ETA: Dietary fat does not make you fat. Sodium does not make you fat. A caloric surplus is what makes you gain fat.

Yeah... I think that was everyone's point. You can have the salad and have a treat and STILL be on point for weightloss AND health. It's not ALL OR NOTHING.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Do you indulge? Have you eliminated anything from your diet to achieve your goals, and why? Do you think it's worked?
    At first, yes. Looking forward to the occasional rich treat can was enough to keep me going. I used to eat whatever i wanted, for 2 meals per month. When i got a craving for something i shouldn't have as an everyday food, i just remembered it, and then once every couple of weeks, i'd make an occasion out of eating it.

Now, i don't see the need to injure my body as a reward to myself; it just seems counterproductive.
    Your eating disorder is causing you more injury, especially mentally.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in your calorie goal, go right ahead! I regularly have chocolate, pizza, fried chicken, etc. but I diligently track everything I eat and make sure it fits within my calorie "budget". And... as a matter of fact, my weight loss has sped up ever since I upped by calories by 200/day (from 1200 to 1400). My body doesn't think it's being starved anymore, so it's letting go of weight more readily. It's awesome to get to eat more AND lose weight twice as quickly!
  • TheBizarb
    TheBizarb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I budget in pizza or anything I want, within reason.

I'm still afraid to bake cookies or, heaven forbid, "sloppy brownies" (choc chip cookie dough on the bottom, double stuff oreos layered in the middle, brownie mix poured on top and baked until *almost* done, then take it from the oven when still gooey), because I'm afraid I won't be able to control myself (or figure out how many calories are in what I make).

Just indulge within reason, and put the calories in the diary.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You could test it out for yourself. if eating a certain treat makes you gain weight, then dont eat it or dont eat it as much. I think a person can have a treat if they look at the overall affect over a month or a few weeks. usually it wont hurt. If you scrutinize the scale every day, (weigh yourself every day), then probably you will see disaster as it might make a higher weight on the scale show up the next day. and even if that happens, usually any weight gain will go away if you resume your normal weighty loss foods, it may take a couple days for it to go down. I'm just speaking at how stuff like this affects me.. usually it takes about 2-3 days for my excess eating to go down. That is why people weigh themselves once a week because during the week even if you eat 100% perfectly, you still have fluctuations in weight due to water weight retention, hormones, etc. etc.

I think if you can eat that one thing, and not let it become a habit where you are falling off the wagon, and are eating it constantly, then its ok. but if it feeds an addiction, where you gotta have more and cant stop, then dont eat it. Eating the food that made you fat and seeing what kind of control you have over it, can tell you how much you can indulge in it or not.

i do tests all the time to see how food affects my weight. that way i can adjust it week to week.