Options
13»

Replies

• Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hiya!
    Well, it really depends, I think...
    The one thing to say though is that you will have to pay to read e-mails that guys send you. Otherwise all you can do is browse. And that doesn't get you anywhere.
    You can meet nice guys and douches. But that's the same everywhere.
    My trick to filtering them is to only reply to e-mails that actually pick something up from my profile and comment on that rather than to 'How are you doing, Gorgeous?'. The guys might be perfectly nice, I just don't think it gives me anything to work with.
    And stay clear of the guys who have left their relationship status blank.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on POF but I had to date a lot of weirdos and guys just after sex to find him! There are some right players on online dating, but there are in the 'real' world too, just don't jump straight into anything and just know you will come across guys like this.
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    Options
    I've tried Match, POF, and OKCupid. Best and worst experiences on OkCupid. Met some really good guys on there that turned out to be good friends. Some were just jerkfaces. It's all about filtering the weirdo/threesome/cheater messages and being upfront in your profile about what you want. It will be clear when guys don't read your profile. And when they do. Just be cautious, don't share too much too quick. And don't drink too much on the first date! Hahaha! (But for real, don't!).

Unfortunately you will get people who don't tell you the whole truth in their profile. Sometimes it is because they are jerkfaces and/or just want to get laid. Sometimes they just don't want to be judged before you get to know them. It's hard to tell sometimes. I've dealt with both.

I'll be happy to talk to you about my experience and provide any tips I can.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    They didn't have computer dating when I was single. Of course, they didn't have cell phones either, so I didn't have my head down all the time and I was able to meet real people.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online back in the 90's...before dating sites existed. We were both in college, and chat rooms and the internet had really just started to become popular back then.

We talked for a year and a half before actually meeting in-person (despite the fact, that we lived about an hour apart...and coincidentally, had a "friend-of-a-friend" in real-life in common).

Back then, it was unheard of to date people from the internet...only guests on Jerry Springer did it; and usually, the internet people turned out to be creeps. EVERYONE is online now though. I have known PLENTY of people to use dating sites to meet people. Even some of my married friend (now in their 30's) met spouses on dating sites.

I would suggest talking to a few guys for awhile. I think you can pretty quickly decide which ones are just in for sex. And of course, there are all the basics that I think other people covered, like meeting in a public place, not giving out personal info.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I know I already responded but I just wanted to share that I had the the best date ever off okCupid, I went out to breakfast on a saturday morning with this guy and we talked for so long the waitress was getting annoyed but we still wanted to talk so he asked if I wanted to go to a museum and we did and spent hours in the egypt and painting sections. It was a 7 hour long date and amazing but it didn't go anywhere, this didn't discourage me it showed me that there are gentlemen out there that don't want to sleep with you on the first date and even if we didn't have good romantic chemistry we still had an amazing day.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Stay on MFP - you are bound to meet someone - this site is the best (free, chat fun, games, etc). LOL