My 6 Year Journey

Options
Hello! My name is Sara, and I'm turning 21 in around a month. I've been overweight and painfully aware of it since I can remember.

7fHC4tJl.jpg?1

I was over 200 pounds at 11 years old, and continued to steadily gain weight throughout the years. This was a combination of a lack of healthy cooking in my house, and a very sedentary lifestyle. I participated in Weight Watcher's with my dad when I was 12, and continued doing it until I was 14, and reached 300 pounds.

INbEKrYl.jpg?1

It was at this point that my parents and I first discussed weight loss surgery. They had both had the surgery- my mother was very successful keeping the weight off, my father slightly less so.

We met with Cincinnati Children's Hospital in later 2007, when I was 14, and 12/28/2008, at 326.9 pounds, I had a lapriscopic sleeve gastrectomy, which is different from traditional bariatric surgery in ways that don't interest anybody but me.

In May of 2010, I got down to 215- this was around the time of my junior prom.

NfIGGn1l.jpg?1

But after that, because I hadn't made a serious lifestyle change, I gained a significant amount of it back. I started college in September of 2011, and was back up to 256 pounds.

cOHc3IVl.jpg?1

sOKwBpjl.jpg?1

I was still proud of my progress, but I wanted to commit to changing my life in some sort of concrete, maintainable way. I started going to the gym 3-5 days a week, and eating healthy (or as healthy as was possible in a college dormroom). The pounds started dropping off fairly immediately, and continued slowly dropping off - at the end of 2012, I was down to 202, at the end of 2013 I was 192 and, having started up on MyFitnessPal about a month ago, I'm now down to 180.5.

zpH92as.jpg

This is a panel of the last 40 or 50 pounds - I wish I had one from the beginning, but alas!

Q9QlM1nl.jpg?2

8z0Gv8Nl.jpg

The weight loss surgery changed my life, and made me thin enough that I could take control of my diet and exercise without any physical limitations, and for that I am eternally grateful. It gave me a more normal high school experience, pretty much eliminated the horrific teasing I constantly experience, and gave me the confidence to make friends and pursue romantic relationships.

However, the weight loss change I am most proud of is the last 84.5 pounds- what I have done independently of the surgery. While I agree I did not have to put forth much effort to lose the weight directly post-surgery, I feel entirely responsible for the weight loss after college.

I am down 145.5 pounds as of today, and I have 20 pounds to go until I reach my goal weight!

Also, I would like to mention my older sister Lisa, (SubjectTwo on here) whose healthy and fast weight loss got me to join MFP and become more conscious of what I'm eating, and whose lifestyle changes have been an inspiration to me. She's my best friend and a great person.

Replies

• Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you girl! YOU ROCK! Don't let anything stop you. You got this from now on.
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    wow congratulations what an awesome and inspiring story:)
  • subjecttwo
    subjecttwo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You look great! I'm really proud of you! :heart:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful person you are.
    Awesome.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    You are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your story, amazing work.
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    Wow, I am in tears. Amazing work girl.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh my YOU are AMAZING !! So Happy for You !! :flowerforyou: Great Job :)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Awesome. You look great!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Well done :flowerforyou:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiration! Congratulations!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    congrats on the loss
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This is so remarkable. Congratulations!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting and congratulations on your achievement. You have encouraged me today and I really needed it. You look awesome, and I can tell, by your words, that you also feel great too. Walk on!
  • Sddysart
    Sddysart Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My goodness YOU ARE inspiration, I am so HAPPY for you♥
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    great job !!
  • zeppelinkd
    zeppelinkd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that you were the cutest little kid! And of course, you've done an awesome job getting lean and healthy!
  • KristinKory
    KristinKory Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look great and you look very happy. Thank you for sharing your inspirational story!
  • RoadRunnerRosie
    Options
    Awesome progress!! You look great! Would you mind sharing your weekly workout regimen? I am heaviest in my stomach and it's worse now after c-section.
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Congrats!!
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!