does anyone have the mofongo recipe with nutritional facts
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am drooling now
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I know that this will make some ears bleed and I do not claim this as authentic by any means, but I do a simple 'weeknight' approximation of arroz con pollo that's pretty quick and simple. You can cook the rice at the same time you cook the chicken and then bring it all together at the end. It takes about 35 minutes from start to finish.

This will serve about 4 people as a main course or 6 as a side, depending on how hungry they are.

Make 2 cups of rice (2 cups measured when dry) - cook according to directions with one packet of Goya Sazon added to the water.

Take 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite sized pieces and season with S&P or Goya Adobo. Stir fry the chicken in batches and remove to a bowl for later use.

Sweat 1/2 large onion (diced) and 2 cloves of garlic with two tablespoons of oil and a pinch of salt over medium low heat in a non-stick skillet/pot until onions are translucent and soft. Add cooked rice and mix briefly over medium heat until incorporated.

When rice and onion are mixed together and rice is back to temperature, add about 2 cups of frozen peas. Continue to cook rice over medium heat until peas are well thawed (about 5 minutes). Season to taste with S&P.

Remove rice from heat, add chicken and all juices to rice mixture with two small jars of chopped pimentos. Mix to combine. Season to taste with S&P. Serve.

If you prefer to use real peppers instead of the jarred pimentos, you can sweat down one diced bell or red pepper at the same time you sweat down the onions and garlic.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this up :) I got hungry reading recipes!
  • RainaL1987
    RainaL1987 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And now I'm hungry :smiley:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    does anyone have the mofongo recipe with nutritional facts

It'll depend on how you make your mofongo and the serving size. It should be easy enough to figure out though given that there aren't any difficult ingredients.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Tuplatano wrote: »
    Anyone have some good healthy spanish food recipes? Arroz con pollo, mofongo, Asopao, Moro de guandules, mangu, empanadas etc.

And by spanish food i dont mean taco or nachos me not mexican :) lol. I'm looking for authentic Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican food.

But not looking for anything from Spain? My wife is spanish and has excellent recipes for gazpacho? paella? gambas ajillo? The real deal authentic just like abuela made
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    She also says octopus is good for you but I had it while in galicia and it was not so good ...
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have a decent arroz con pollo recipe I got online at allrecipes.com. Not the greatest, but easy and tasty. Not exactly what I'm used to, but then the Cuban arroz con pollo, you need to add beer, and I'm not doing that! I'm going to try the one posted on here at some point. I usually make arroz con pollo every week or every other week to take for lunches.

I don't call this "Spanish" food though. To me it is "comida criolla". Spanish food is paella, tortilla de patatas, pan con tomate, migas, etc. from Spain.

Somebody post a good arroz con habichuelas recipe!!