Is 'eating at deficit' enough?

Options
cgarand
cgarand Posts: 541 Member
If you look through the forums there is always talk about 'eating at deficit'. But, really it's more than just eating fewer calories than you burn. It's also about what you eat. Your body needs fuel. You can eat garbage and be at a calorie deficit, but you aren't going to feel good and it will probably hinder your weight loss/fitness goals.

Pay attention to those macro's and work on adding veggies and lean protein. Drink lots of water and move your body. If you 'eat at deficit' and the scale still isn't moving then it may not be how much you are eating but what you are eating that is holding you back.

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    If you look through the forums there is always talk about 'eating at deficit'. But, really it's more than just eating fewer calories than you burn. It's also about what you eat. Your body needs fuel. You can eat garbage and be at a calorie deficit, but you aren't going to feel good and it will probably hinder your weight loss/fitness goals.

Pay attention to those macro's and work on adding veggies and lean protein. Drink lots of water and move your body. If you 'eat at deficit' and the scale still isn't moving then it may not be how much you are eating but what you are eating that is holding you back.

It matters what your goals are. If weight loss is your only goal then Yes eating at a deficit is enough. If you are looking for overall health then some of what you say has merit. Macros are vital but all food is fuel and I do not believe there is any "garbage" foods as you say.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you 'eat at deficit' and the scale still isn't moving then it may not be how much you are eating but what you are eating that is holding you back.
    No if your not losing weight and eating at a deficit your not really eating at a deficit. Stop trying to muddy the water. Yes nutrition is important and depending on personal goals we should all keep an eye on what those calories are and what they contain. This smoke and mirrors approach that people take to weight loss is just a way to avoid the fact that they are eating too much. I just don't get why people insist on making what is a simple biological process (losing weight) so damm complicated.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Nope, for weight loss, calorie deficit only. Like someone above said, these kind of threads just muddy the water. This is your opinion.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you 'eat at deficit' and the scale still isn't moving then it may not be how much you are eating but what you are eating that is holding you back.
    No if your not losing weight and eating at a deficit your not really eating at a deficit. Stop trying to muddy the water. Yes nutrition is important and depending on personal goals we should all keep an eye on what those calories are and what they contain. This smoke and mirrors approach that people take to weight loss is just a way to avoid the fact that they are eating too much. I just don't get why people insist on making what is a simple biological process (losing weight) so damm complicated.
    I agree. I have never counted a macro, although KUDOS to those who choose to, seems like a lot of work. The only thing I do is try to make sure I have protein at every meal.

My sister has lost 50 labs and she is just eating at a deficit. Hasn't done any exercise either, although she is starting to, she realizes she is not toned or very strong.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Ok here's an anecdotal and awkward take on the whole situation. Weekend before this past one I was visiting some family and gorged myself on everything in sight. My [estimated] logging showed like 3500 calories over one day and maybe 2000 over the next. But when I came home and weighed my weight had gone up 11lbs from my last "lowest" weight. It's taken the whole week to come back to to pre-inhaling everything in sight levels. Well the point is kind of moot because if I did this every week I wouldn't actually lose weight over time. Just wondering if one were too eat too many carbs or or too much food or something on a smaller scale, perhaps the body consistently retains water to the point of making the individual look like they're not losing any weight, despite being in a deficit? Yeah I'm stupid. I just woke up I'm gonna get breakfast going and get ready for work
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Who eats garbage?
    Who proposes eating garbage?

NO ONE

If the scale isn't moving over the long term you aren't eating at a deficit over the long term.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Nope, eating at a deficit really is enough. If you are "stuck" it's because you are eating the same as, or more than, your body is burning.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to those macro's and work on adding veggies and lean protein.

Macros make up ALL foods... So you contradict yourself by saying on the one hand that it might be "what you're eating", then to turn around and say watch your macros. At the end of the day, weight (fat) loss is dependent on cals in vs out.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    102.5lbs off eating what I wanted but in moderation including 'garbage' (your words not mine as I think classifying food like that is part of the unhealthy relationship I had with food) so have to disagree. Eating at a calorie deficit is all its taken. I exercise for health & fitness which has the bonus of allowing me to eat more and maintain a deficit but I eat what I fancy which is a mixture of lean meat, lots of veg and a fair bit of beer & chocolate!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

No it really is just about eating less than you burn.

As for garbage yah I don't dumpster dive and feel for those who have to in order to eat...that's awful.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Black and white thinking regarding food. You don't want to set yourself up for food obsessions and binges by restricting.

It's a case of balance. Lots of athletes and healthy slim people eat all foods. It's a good idea to eat adequate protein colourful fruits and veg and fats. Bulk and cut at appropriate excess and deficit.

Juicy steak, sweet potatoes, spinach in butter, red wine and chocolate. In the best shape, health and athletic performance of my life.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Eating crappy food might hinder your fitness goals, but it won't hinder your weight loss goals. Nope.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    After seeing how everyone was jumping on the OP, I was going to step in and try to give some validation to some of the points she made.

But I decided to check out her diary first, and NAHHHHH, she is on her own with this one.

In my opinion, Shakeology would fall under the garbage category. And I think even Jonny -'McDonalds'-than eats more veggies than OP does,
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    In for the lively debate that's sure to follow.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    Many people can lose just by eating at a deficit. As you get closer to your goals it becomes less easy. If you're very big and you can eat 2,000 cals of bread a day and still create a deficit that's going to be enough food to keep you going. However, as you lose and you have to drop your calories, the same food often becomes less satiating. If you're not getting enough protein you're going to lose more muscle than if you're eating enough for your body, if you have hormonal issues you're going to need to create a larger deficit if you insist on getting most of your calories from carbs and are sedentary, if you have thyroid problems you're going to lose at a slower rate than completely healthy people, if you have blood sugar issues you're going to have problems with high sugar foods, if you're stressing your body out your cortisol is going to be raised and signal your body to store fat and you'll have a harder time losing....there's a lot more to it than just calories for a lot of people. It's great for those who can eat whatever they want as long as they're eating at a deficit and reach their goal weight and feel good at the same time, but that is absolutely not the case for everyone.
  • lozerette
    Options
    For overall health and feeling good, sure it matters what you eat.

For weight loss alone? Nope. Just a calorie deficit.

There was a professor that ate pure junk food (mostly twinkies) at a calorie deficit and lost 27 pounds in two months:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    After seeing how everyone was jumping on the OP, I was going to step in and try to give some validation to some of the points she made.

But I decided to check out her diary first, and NAHHHHH, she is on her own with this one.

In my opinion, Shakeology would fall under the garbage category. And I think even Jonny -'McDonalds'-than eats more veggies than OP does,

I don't see many jumping but because of this post I did look at her diary...

I want to find that bacon that is 69 calories for 1.5 slices...:laugh:
  • charli0329
    charli0329 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Personally carbs are my downfall. I can eat clean and lose all kinds of weight even over my caloric intake. The best ides is to do a body fat % and see what works for you. Losing weight isn't a cookie cutter situation. Some people need different way to attack it.

End of
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

OK I had to go and look. 626 calories for the day!!! There is one shake and there seem to be quite a few veggies but I would starve to death on only 626 calories a day.

A deficit is all you need to lose weight yes indeedy but if you want to be fit, healthy and have enough energy to excersise and live life you need to eat to fuel your body and get the micronutrients.