Family disproves of my fitness goals

Options
124»

Replies

• monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I understand why this situation makes the OP angry. It seems to be a power struggle between her and her parents, if a well-intentioned one. (They KNOW she doesn't want them to buy the food and they do it anyway.) Parents have these struggles with their kids over food from the time their kids are small. It's hard work establishing an adult relationship with your parents, especially when you are living with them.

The best advice I have seen so far is to hide the food where you can't easily get to it. Also, buy your own snacks. Let them see you eating the snacks you buy and not their food.

As for portions, serve yourself. If your parents insist on serving your plate, carve away the portion you intend to eat and leave the rest. This will require a lot of willpower on your part initially, but I bet they will get tired of throwing food away.

I also understand the OP's desire to simply eliminate certain foods from temptation. I don't keep bags of candy around the house because I can't control myself. My husband is not a fan of candy, either, so it's fine. But life is more complicated when you share a home with people who don't share your approach. If you intend to live with your parents, you're going to have to find a way to cope with their pushiness.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I am having a rough day my mother buys me Andy Capp hot fries. And I have will power to turn these down normally but when they are bought by her its such a thoughtful gesture that I want to eat them because she bought them for me. I would compare it to the way a mother must feel if their kid shared their Halloween candy with them. Its special because it was the gesture. So what I do is portion them out into baggies and budget them into my daily calories. I also do tell her that I cant eat them that day or tell her I have to save them for a day I can allow for them since they are so bad. She eventually got the hint. parents just like to take care of us and treat us to stuff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So it's ok for her parents to buy food she specifically asks them not to buy when she's the only one that eats it, but it's not ok for her to throw it out?
    Interesting....

Whose money is getting spent? The parents. So their stuff. Even if they are buying it for her, she can choose not to eat it.

incorrect.

if they bought them FOR her- then she can do with them what she wants- she can pretend to eat them (take them to work in little baggies) and throw them out there- or just throw them at home.

If you buy something for someone- you don't get to say what they do with it. It's now their property to do with as they chose.

BF bought me THREE cakes for my birthday (he just simply couldn't decide!) one was TERRIBLE- the other was AMAZING. the third- was a single serving type cake- super tiny. We both had a slice of the awful one- and the next week had the other one and ate it- the bad cake got thrown away after he left. Sorry to waste food but I'm not eating crap I don't want- or don't like.

So if the rest of the family would eat it, it is still okay because SHE doesn't want it? No. Still not okay. Difference between you AND your BF agreeing that something tasted like crap and getting rid of it compared to just 1 person in a household "making a lifestyle change" throwing away food that they didn't buy.

I didn't tell him I just threw it away. We both agreed it was a mediocre cake and I just tossed it after he left. problem solved.

two- she already specifically said- no one else in the house eats that stuff. problem solved.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    So it's ok for her parents to buy food she specifically asks them not to buy when she's the only one that eats it, but it's not ok for her to throw it out?
    Interesting....

Whose money is getting spent? The parents. So their stuff. Even if they are buying it for her, she can choose not to eat it.

^^This. I'm not exactly sure why it's necessary to ask Mom not to buy foods... I have candy bars and ice cream in my house because my fiance loves that kind of stuff. I love it too... I just don't eat it if it doesn't fit in my calorie goals for the day. I think you might be over reacting OP.

willpower is very personal and is something that needs to be worked on. not everyone is at the stage where they can have all their loves in the house and be able to control themselves.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I missed this, but what is your height? If you are on the very low side of normal or underweight, or if you were in the past, then your parents might have valid reasons to be worried and are not just trying to sabotage you. Also if you are not eating enough and restricitng calories too much, they might be trying to help you. If this is the case, then perhaps meeting with your dr and inviting your mother to the appointment would be a good way to start and reassure her you are not setting unhealthy goals.
    If your weight is within normal range and you are not starving yourself, and they know these things, ignore the treats. If they see the same container on the same spot for two weeks, they will get the hint.