Jack Daniels with Honey
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    substitute for beer, sex and candy!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I drink a beer just about everyday. But I also shoot for at least an hour of cardio everyday to account for it. If the calories from beer is a problem just exercise more to make up for it.

This. Beer is a non-negotiable. Will gladly change other variables first. And to echo others, don't bother with the low cal wannabe brews.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    substitute for beer, sex and candy!

How YOU doin?
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I've got the perfect answer (however, someone else may have already suggested it.....I stopped reading after the first page :wink: ) Anyway, this drink is fizzy, has nutritional benefits, is low cal, and tastes good! Not only that you can make it yourself! What is this fabulous drink you may be wondering? Any guesses? No? Okay, it's..................................KOMBUCHA!!!

I highly recommend GT's Gingerade Kombucha to start, but there are many flavors to choose from. And, if you like it, you can make it yourself after you find a scoby (or "mother", like you find in raw vinegar)! Problem solved! You're welcome!!
  • SydneyMartinelli
    SydneyMartinelli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can try non-alcoholic beer or wine (there are some good brands out there worth trying) or DAVIDs TEA. They have so many amazing flavors... One is bound to hit that craving!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Kombucha before, but I googled it and it does sound quite interesting, and like it might be a good substitute (as are all the other suggestions people have made of course). I wonder if I'd be able to find it around here, I'll have to look into this further I think.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cauliflower beer….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels

+ 1
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I recommend substituting empty beer bottles for full beer bottles
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shandy? Traditionally the beverage of choice for ladies of a certain age after bingo lol. Half beer and half lemonade usually but you could sub the lemonade for soda water. I don't mind low carb beer with lime like Millers Chill and also white wine or sweet red with soda as well.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Argh, I'm late to the party. I enjoy beer as well but don't enjoy 100+ calories a can in most circumstances as well. What I've learned to do when I feel up for having a few drinks is drink highballs/spirits with carb free mixers. In terms of alcohol content they're your best bet for calories (~65 a 1 oz shot) and 0 carb. These are some of my favorite drinks:

- Vodka+Crystal Light (any flavour)
    - Vodka+Mio or any sugar free water flavoring (Dasani/Nestea/Powerade etc)
    - Vodka+Diet Crush (Orange/Grape/Cream Soda)
    - Vodka+Sugar free Redbull (great drink)
    - Vodka+Water (no issues w/ this drink, it mixes well w/ water)
    - Rum+Diet Coke/Pepsi
    - Rum+Diet Dr. Pepper
    - Rum+Diet Root Beer
    - Gin+Club Soda w/ a slice of cucumber

There's lots of options available because again, spirits are all 0 carb if they're just the pure spirit. Watch out for flavored spirits, like Cherry Vodka, its just sugar+artificial flavor added.

For strictly body composition purposes, do NOT be afraid of artificial sweeteners. There have been TONS of studies done showing that artificial sweeteners do not inhibit fat loss in any way nor spike insulin levels. You can read more up on Examine.com which is an independent data collection site for supplements and nutrition. The link is here -> http://examine.com/faq/does-diet-soda-inhibit-fat-loss.html

Good luck! :drinker:
  • scooter_23
    scooter_23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No good subs- My husband drinks beer like water. I say- if you're going to have beer- have it be a beer that tastes delicious to you (for me a dark amber yummy beer). but yeah no subs :)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I tried replacing beer with wine and found out I don't like wine.
    I tried replacing beer with cider and found out I love it but it has as many calories.
    I tried replacing beer with hard liquor and found out I like brandy but not as much and I hate everything else.

The only thing that hit the same spot was a malta drink... which had twice as many calories as most beers.
    In terms of alcohol content they're your best bet for calories (~65 a 1 oz shot) and 0 carb.
    Just an FYI, in the US a shot is 1.5 oz. In most of Europe it's 50 ml and in England it's 25 (I think).