Need opinion.... Not getting along with Gym go-ers

Options
I current have a membership to a very small gym. There's maybe 50 machines crammed into 800 square foot room and two single bathrooms. Monday-Friday 5am-6am for the past six months, I work on one of the ellipticals. I've been the only woman there and 1 of 4 people all together.

Recently, it has gotten busier. Two weeks ago, another woman started coming in around 6am. Our first hiccup was last week when she turned my fan off. I turned it back on and let her know I was still using it. I didn't think I was being rude, but she seemed really really ticked off. She has a lovely "b*tch face" and I could distinctly hear a few cuss words in between songs. I figured it was because the air was hitting her while she used another elliptical, but there wasn't a way around it in this tiny gym.

Now, I had a trainer call me (there isn't any at the gym while I'm working out, its too early) and explain to me that I've had multiple complaints about the length of time I spend in the bathroom. I let him know that I do spend 30 min a day taking a shower and getting ready for work. I didn't realize it had been a problem since I was the only woman until recently and no one had knocked or asked to use the restroom.
He said that I could continue to use the restroom for the length of time, and he will let the girl know she just needed to knock if she need to use it. Since there is only one other woman there, I right away knew it was this girl who had gotten upset last week.

This morning, was the final straw in my book. I guess the trainer must have talked to her about the bathroom because today she walked right in went straight to the bathroom. And she stayed in there until after I left. (over 45 minutes) I ended up changing and putting my makeup on at work. I haven't said anything to her, because i feel like she is one of those people who has to "win" every argument no matter how stupid and immature they look in the end. I really don't have time to argue with a child, nor do i want to stoop to her level. I'm paying for my membership, though. Should I tell the manager I need a refund and find a new gym? Or request that there be a trainer/supervision there at all times? Please help!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Probably won't get a refund as most gym's do month by month.. but if it continues I would just cancel and go to a bigger gym... seems its going to be a headache and if you have other gyms in the area that are bigger and cost the same.. no point in all the headaches just tell the manager she is a pain and cost them a member.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I might stick it out a little longer to see if she quits or changes her schedule, otherwise I would look for another gym.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I might stick it out a little longer to see if she quits or changes her schedule, otherwise I would look for another gym.

I agree. Unless she has absolutely nothing else going on in her life, she won't be spending 45 minutes in the bathroom every day.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    She's a useless piece of garbage & should be flogged ..... hopefully she leaves soon :wink:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a gym in years, but i would probably find another gym.
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I mean that stuff, because you don't need those distractions. I would give it a little bit more time if not just change it up.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would join a gym that was so limited in facilities.Check out a couple of new places before you join a new place.
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Wtf are you doing for 30 minutes in there?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Is this a one room bathroom that you are in for 30 min or a locker room? This gym sounds like a headache.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Find another gym, yours sounds crappy anyways (sorry, no other way to put it) even without hostile gymgoers. Put your money somewhere more deserving. Good luck.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would join a gym that was so limited in facilities.Check out a couple of new places before you join a new place.

It right next my work. At the time of joining, I thought I'd jump in on lunch breaks for quick sessions. 20+ of my co workers had the same idea. I defiantly realize now what i poor decision I made.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

She said she takes a shower and gets ready for work. 30 minutes is not unreasonable.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    Options

Getting ready for work. Shower, hair, makeup.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    Options
    Is this a one room bathroom that you are in for 30 min or a locker room? This gym sounds like a headache.

One bathroom. There are two bathrooms with showers here. No lockerroom at all
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Of course you could always try and talk to her? Work it out? Started on the wrong foot kind-of thing........
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would just go to a different gym... Honestly complaining about 30 mins in the bathroom is ridiculous. Sounds like you need a larger gym
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    She paid for her membership as well.... and chances are even if she leaves, another woman will start coming that early. So you will either have to find a larger gym or get ready elsewhere, unfortunately.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You can knock on the bathroom door - maybe she wanted to see if you would do it since it was suggested to her.

You could also try to cut down on your bathroom time to compromise - do your make up in the car or at work and keep your shower routine to a minimum - save the grooming for at home.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would definitely find another gym. The staff sounds unprofessional and the facilities obviously are sub par. Even super cheap gyms like x-sport have locker rooms. I totally get why you joined, convenience is huge, but this gym sounds like a headache.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

One bathroom. There are two bathrooms with showers here. No lockerroom at all

I would say if you need to do that, it would probably be best to seek out a bigger gym that has the requisite facilities. I go to a very small power gym that only has two bathrooms and they have it posted five minute maximum; I'm sure if one were having issues they would understand, but I assume they have this rule for this very reason...not equipped to provide full service locker room type of activity. We're never that full, but when you have to go, you have to go and someone taking up the restroom for 30 minutes is gonna cause issues.