Yale threatened to expel student for having a low BMI...

Options

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are there any scientific studies to prove that notion? I am not disagreeing with the idea that colleges should look after the students. I disagree with the way Yale handled it.

The sooner young people learn about health management, the better in my book. Many companies have instituted or are instituting Wellness Programs that rewards employees for investing in their health. Colleges should also do the same. If I understand the situation correctly, the student took the first initiative. What about the students that are still unidentified? What happens to them? Should they be forgotten because they didn't do as that young lady?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Are there any scientific studies to prove that notion? I am not disagreeing with the idea that colleges should look after the students. I disagree with the way Yale handled it.

The sooner young people learn about health management, the better in my book. Many companies have instituted or are instituting Wellness Programs that rewards employees for investing in their health. Colleges should also do the same. If I understand the situation correctly, the student took the first initiative. What about the students that are still unidentified? What happens to them? Should they be forgotten because they didn't do as that young lady?

She went to health services. She became their patient. They are medical professionals. It's not part of their job to scour the college and find health problems. It is their job to do something when they identify a problem with one of their patients. I think they were right to want to further evaluate, but wrong in the direction they went.

If you are asking me if there is scientific evidence that people that are in fact severely underweight can have a heart attack or other health problems the answer to that is yes, but they can look into that with a proper evaluation.
  • Branstin
    Options
    It also wasn't their job to scour that young lady before they knew all of the facts. They were absolutely wrong in the way they handled it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It also wasn't their job to scour that young lady before they knew all of the facts. They were absolutely wrong in the way they handled it.

I agree that they handled it wrong. I only understand the reason for wanting to evaluate further. But, they did not do a correct evaluation.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    They should stick to academics.
  • Branstin
    Options

If you are asking me if there is scientific evidence that people that are in fact severely underweight can have a heart attack or other health problems the answer to that is yes, but they can look into that with a proper evaluation.

I am asking if there are any studies to support that underweight students are more prone to immediate health issues than overweight children.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I am asking if there are any studies to support that underweight students are more prone to immediate health issues than overweight children.

I don't know how to answer this question because I don't understand how my answers have not been satisfactory to you. A person that has a BMI below 17.5 is medically flagged as a potential sign of medically qualifying for anorexia (at that point their doctor will look into it and have them evaluated). When the BMI gets to 16 or below the person is at risk of dying from medical complications due to the low weight (and they begin to suffer physically and mentally). Yes, there have been studies. But, they need to evaluate the person's health, history, family history, eating habits, exercise, mental health, frame size.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. I would sue them big time if I were her
    This is one of the reasons why education in the US is so expensive. Americans are well too "sue happy".
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I think that if postsecondary institutions want to promote "wellness" in their student population, they would reach a greater at-risk population if they targeted excessive alcohol consumption with the same zeal as this young lady was treated.
  • Branstin
    Options

I don't know how to answer this question because I don't understand how my answers have not been satisfactory to you. A person that has a BMI below 17.5 is medically flagged as a potential sign of medically qualifying for anorexia (at that point their doctor will look into it and have them evaluated). When they BMI gets to 16 or below the person is at risk of dying from medical complications due to the low weight. Yes, there have been studies.

Forget the studies part because that was meant for a different poster. I typed too fast.

I know about BMI's and flags. However, the problem isn't my dissatisfaction with your answers. My issue is with a campus the size of Yale, I find it very hard to believe that young lady was the only one with a questionable BMI. No, it's not the college job to scour the students but I feel that no way was she the only one whose BMI raised a flag.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I think that if postsecondary institutions want to promote "wellness" in their student population, they would reach a greater at-risk population if they targeted excessive alcohol consumption with the same zeal as this young lady was treated.

I agree. And some colleges do try to.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I don't know how to answer this question because I don't understand how my answers have not been satisfactory to you. A person that has a BMI below 17.5 is medically flagged as a potential sign of medically qualifying for anorexia (at that point their doctor will look into it and have them evaluated). When they BMI gets to 16 or below the person is at risk of dying from medical complications due to the low weight. Yes, there have been studies.

Forget the studies part because that was meant for a different poster. I typed too fast.

I know about BMI's and flags. However, the problem isn't my dissatisfaction with your answers. My issue is with a campus the size of Yale, I find it very hard to believe that young lady was the only one with a questionable BMI. No, it's not the college job to scour the students but I feel that no way was she the only one whose BMI raised a flag.

Yeah, I understand their initial concern. But, I also agree that she did not have medical, mental, lifestyle, or a history that suggests that she had anorexia. That should have been enough for them to back off.
  • Branstin
    Options

+1
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think it all just stems back to the age old argument of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. No system is ever going to be fool proof or 100%.

I think the whole topic raises the fact that maybe better systems than using the BMI standard should be brought into being. However if schools/HE institutions took a complete hands off approach to their students then that would probably cause its own set of complications.

I totally agree that its not right that this young lady went through the negative experience of the system that she did. But I would be interested to know the percentages of students who are identified as undergoing issues (in genuine cases) are helped.

Interestingly enough Yale failed to comment on anything included within the initial article due to student privacy - so we only actually have the one sided version of events.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    To be honest I think it all just stems back to the age old argument of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. No system is ever going to be fool proof or 100%.

I think the whole topic raises the fact that maybe better systems than using the BMI standard should be brought into being. However if schools/HE institutions took a complete hands off approach to their students then that would probably cause its own set of complications.

I totally agree that its not right that this young lady went through the negative experience of the system that she did. But I would be interested to know the percentages of students who are identified as undergoing issues (in genuine cases) are helped.

Interestingly enough Yale failed to comment on anything included within the initial article due to student privacy - so we only actually have the one sided version of events.

Yeah, I agree.

And I also feel she was no where near in need of medical leave or forced weight gain. But, I do understand wanting to look into evaluating her.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Mmm... I've taken a few gender and culture classes while at college. If you look at Asian society, and the Lotus effect, you tend to find that Asain females are much more susceptible to a less 'frail' disposition in terms of body health. Yea, a body can get by without eating much, and for quite a long time, too... but is that really a message we want to convey further to all female societies?

As an Asian-American, I'm curious about what you're saying here. What "Lotus effect" are you talking about? Can you expand on what you said in the above quoted post of yours?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Since she went in for medical treatment, the doctors were obligated to ask her about her weight.

Everything after that was overstepping their bounds. Forcing someone to go on medical leave for an issue not preventing them from doing their work is way over the top.

The part about it that makes me shake my head is that if she did have an eating disorder, there's an excellent chance all that pushing and controlling behavior would have worsened the disorder, and all the focus on her weight would likely have been reinforcing.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In middle school and high school everyone who didn't know me well thought I had an eating disorder. I was 5' 4" and 85 pounds. I have a small frame, ate whatever I wanted and however much I wanted, and never gained weight. I also had no muscles. Pretty much just skin and bones. I had one teacher who would stalk me in the lunch room to make sure I ate. I never had to try to lose weight....until after having three kids and hitting 30 years old. Now I have to really watch because it comes on fast! But even when I weighed 85 pounds I was healthy, because it was just the way I naturally was. I may not have LOOKED healthy, but I was.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Since she went in for medical treatment, the doctors were obligated to ask her about her weight.

Everything after that was overstepping their bounds. Forcing someone to go on medical leave for an issue not preventing them from doing their work is way over the top.

The part about it that makes me shake my head is that if she did have an eating disorder, there's an excellent chance all that pushing and controlling behavior would have worsened the disorder, and all the focus on her weight would likely have been reinforcing.

Yeah I agree. I understand them asking her some questions and testing her blood pressure and iron. And checking in. But, they definitely went too far.

I don't know why I am commenting on this thread so much. I guess I'm worried about causing a misunderstanding.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think this young lady needs to sue. It seems Yale is targeting females and thier weight , I thought school was about grades and learning to be able reach a higher level job. Its sexist and weight discrimination rolled into one.