How do you guys motivate yourselves to cook?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I make a load of food on Sundays so I don't have to cook much during the week. I also keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the fridge, meat slices, pickles, pepperoni sticks, cheese, etc so I can "grab and go", the slow cooker is also my friend :) Pinterest has a ton of healthy recipe ideas.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just approached it like I approached working out at the beginning. Started small, and worked my way up. Google "Easy fast healthy recipes" or something like that. If you're starting off, a meal that takes 3 hours to cook is a turn-off. Then work your way up from there. I cook all the time now, and only go out to eat a couple times a month. I don't miss fast food. When I eat what I've cooked, it tastes so much better than pretty much anything I could get from a fast food joint or even a nice restaurant.

To tell you the truth, it's rare that any meal I cook takes more than an hour though.

Good tip from above: Prep the food the day before or in the morning, measure it out, cut it up, and throw into plastic containers so it is all ready to put into the pot or skillet at the right time. If you do that, you might find that you have 10--30 minutes to play a few games in between recipe steps. Just make sure you set a kitchen timer, so you don't forget and burn something (I'm guilty of that).

Other tip from me: Crock pot. Generally cooking in a crock pot is easy. Step 1) Throw in all the ingredients. Step 2) Turn it on to low setting. Step 3) Eat it when you come home from work. Plus generally those recipes give you a few days of leftovers depending on how many people in your household.

Bottom line is the more you do it, the more motivated you get. It becomes a habit, and it's a healthy delicious habit to get into.
  • Grammanut
    Grammanut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @kburnach

I thought so!!! :-) I'm gonna start trying some and quiz my son on them LOL
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I meal plan and grocery shop for two weeks at a time based on our schedule for that time period so I don't have to think about it. I'm not a fan of leftovers, so I'm not big on making a weeks' worth of food at one time, but there are parts that I will make ahead. I'll make a couple pounds of shredded chicken or pork in the crockpot on a Sunday and then have it to throw in salads, casseroles, tacos, whatever for the nights I don't feel like doing much cooking or we've got a lot going on. And I always have sliced veggies on hand to throw together a quick stir fry or veggie fajitas.

I also make a lot of tortilla "pizzas"...just lightly oil or butter both sides of a tortilla, throw whatever toppings you like with some cheese and bake at 400 until the edges are brown. We also eat lots of eggs for dinner. And grilled sandwiches. I love my panini press! Our other quick-fix is pasta. I get the noodles going and then throw some veggies in a skillet, maybe with some shredded chicken or frozen meatballs or italian sausage and it's ready in less than 15 minutes. By the way, others may disagree, but I don't think there's any shame in getting an assist from some frozen stuff...it doesn't ALL have to be homemade.

Take it a day at a time. Maybe you'll grow to like cooking as you find out what flavors you like and find the fun in it. Or maybe it'll always be a chore and you'll only want to cook stuff that gets you in and out in a flash. Whatever floats your boat.
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My husband and I struggle with this a LOT! Our deal is - because I HATE cooking, except for desserts - that he cook and I do the dishes - which he hates.

I can't remember how I fed myself before him, but I think it involved a lot of freezer meals, fast food and when I didn't have money for those making myself cook.

I've read suggestions about cooking a bunch of stuff on Sunday and freezing it, but I've never been successful with that. On Sunday, I just want to rest!

If you find the answer to how to find motivation for cooking - I'm definitely interested in that fountain of knowledge! :)
  • Grammanut
    Grammanut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Gamer cook off or potluck??

You have other friends on the same journey as you?

Challenge them all to make/ bring a dish, share the recipes, play games, freeze leftovers
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Make it simple and plan ahead. For example Sunday I roasted an entire chicken. I have been eating that for lunch. For dinner I've been making black bean and chicken quesdillas. The quesadillas take all of about 15 minutes to assesmble and cool I'll probably make a chicken pasta with what I have leftover tonight again another 15 minute meal. One chicken= 3 meals. Just find a system that works for you.
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    Honestly, do most of my prep for the week on Sundays................set up my tuna for lunches, grill chicken for weekday dinners, and use mostly frozen veggies...............salads are easy to prep during the week and my wife and i take turns making it. Once otr twice a week we make a meal from scratch but it's usually very basic and oven baked or grilled outside, "sides Who doesn't like to grill outside?
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

By the way, others may disagree, but I don't think there's any shame in getting an assist from some frozen stuff...it doesn't ALL have to be homemade.

I agree... If I find a good price on onions that are already cut, you better believe I'm using that. Same goes for frozen fajita chicken-- I love to be able to make a casadilla on a whim with chicken salsa and cheese.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If I don't cook I don't eat.

I just cook while playing video games. Waiting for the raid to fill? Chop some veg. Boss explanation is going down? Saute that stuff/throw my chicken in the oven. Walking back from a wipe? Make my plate; I'm a healer so someone will rez me anyway.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    the hunger motivates me.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a family now, but I remember that I did more fast food or chips/beer evenings when I was living on my own during college times.

It is always better to have friends for cooking. You can either cook together or just have one sitting at the kitchen table while the other prepares the food. You can catch up on a lot of things while doing that. So maybe start off with inviting a friend over once or twice a week. When you're done eating, clean up the kitchen and hit the computers together. even gaming is sometimes more fun done together.