Getting below 20% BF - do you HAVE to eat "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I find that ice cream thread slightly obnoxious.

Also I'd like to get to a point I could do that; however I don't think I would flaunt it.

What the heck is so obnoxious about eating ice cream???

^ I would like to know this as well. I would probably use the word delicious but ya know. Different strokes? :/

Exactly! I think I will have some delicious ice cream tonight. I hope that isn't too obnoxious.

meh, I'm gonna have obnoxious amounts of delicious ice cream and post about it so someone will get butt hurt and complain about sabotage and obnoxious, shirtless jerks who don't understand. Now accepting hate mail . . .

ERmahgawd, U so means. WhEn U eats icecreams it tempts me, even doe you are hundreds of miles away. U are a sabotaure. Ur lucky ur a man and have such a good metobolism, I'm a short female and I can't just eat icecreams and its not fair.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Also I'd like to get to a point I could do that; however I don't think I would flaunt it.

^ I would like to know this as well. I would probably use the word delicious but ya know. Different strokes? :/

Exactly! I think I will have some delicious ice cream tonight. I hope that isn't too obnoxious.

I already ate mine. :sad:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

meh, I'm gonna have obnoxious amounts of delicious ice cream and post about it so someone will get butt hurt and complain about sabotage and obnoxious, shirtless jerks who don't understand. Now accepting hate mail . . .

ERmahgawd, U so means. WhEn U eats icecreams it tempts me, even doe you are hundreds of miles away. U are a sabotaure. Ur lucky ur a man and have such a good metobolism, I'm a short female and I can't just eat icecreams and its not fair.

mirin
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My fiancée is around 18% bodyfat and she loves her brownies, chocolate cookies and ice creams. She just pays attention to her intake and gets regular exercise.

So I'm going to guess that no it isn't necessary but I bet the more you avoid those sorts of foods the easier it will be to lose that last bit of fat.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Alright I am off to read the macro link. I do understand what they are but my confusion comes from the % method, like 40/30/30. Isn't macros about getting the minimums of what you need to meet your goals, vs staying at a % of a number? If I eat 1500k one day and follow 40/30/30 I eat 150c/112.5p/50f but if I have another day that I eat 2000k, do I aim for 40/30/30 again by eating 200c/150p/66.6f ? There is no magic in the synergy between the ratios, correct? I just eat my required 150c/112.5p/50f and if I go over that I eat what ever I want....right?

Yeahhh....I go with numbers. I like to be over 110g P and 50-60g F (Fat makes me happy) and then the rest is just whatever. I set up my diary with percentages close to those numbers, but I don't alter my course when I eat more/workout calories shift my goal.

Protein grams are and should be determined by your weight. There's no magical number. And 50-60 grams of fat seems VEFY high to me but again, I don't know your body weight and goals) I shoot for my protein and fiber goals first, as that helps to keep you full longer while at a calorie deficit, carbs come in last (for me) and I am a runner who needs carbs to fuel my runs, but I simply don't over do it.

What makes you think my protein goals aren't determined by my weight? Do you think I pulled a number out of the air? And I wouldn't call 50-60 grams of fat high. That's slightly less than 30% of my usual intake. Hardly what I would call a 'high fat' diet by any means.

I eat between 80-100 grams of fat a day, and I'm currently at 16% BF. But I'm 45 and need more or my hormones get all wonky. Doesn't hurt that I maintain at 2600, either, so it's easy to fit it in. :)
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No you don't. I do get up on my ECA stack though.

I think some people like to show off how much they can eat and still look good. On the opposite I think some people get off on showing off how little they eat. People are just ****ed up.

But I read the ice cream thread, and they're eating 1-1.5 servings a night which is only a few hundred calories. Show me a cleanse where they down a pint nightly.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    Currently hovering just below 17% with daily chocolate, so I'd say no!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Alright I am off to read the macro link. I do understand what they are but my confusion comes from the % method, like 40/30/30. Isn't macros about getting the minimums of what you need to meet your goals, vs staying at a % of a number? If I eat 1500k one day and follow 40/30/30 I eat 150c/112.5p/50f but if I have another day that I eat 2000k, do I aim for 40/30/30 again by eating 200c/150p/66.6f ? There is no magic in the synergy between the ratios, correct? I just eat my required 150c/112.5p/50f and if I go over that I eat what ever I want....right?

Yeahhh....I go with numbers. I like to be over 110g P and 50-60g F (Fat makes me happy) and then the rest is just whatever. I set up my diary with percentages close to those numbers, but I don't alter my course when I eat more/workout calories shift my goal.

Protein grams are and should be determined by your weight. There's no magical number. And 50-60 grams of fat seems VEFY high to me but again, I don't know your body weight and goals) I shoot for my protein and fiber goals first, as that helps to keep you full longer while at a calorie deficit, carbs come in last (for me) and I am a runner who needs carbs to fuel my runs, but I simply don't over do it.

What makes you think my protein goals aren't determined by my weight? Do you think I pulled a number out of the air? And I wouldn't call 50-60 grams of fat high. That's slightly less than 30% of my usual intake. Hardly what I would call a 'high fat' diet by any means.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For anyone interested curious - you can go to iifym.com and use their calculator to figure out macros...though for me they are off when compared to doing the calculations.

To figure out how to do the calculations, Sara of the ETP group wrote this out. It's really easy to do/follow:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was 19% in January and I was eating heaps clean and exercising nearly daily (like I am back to now). When I went overseas for a few weeks, it all went out the window..haha
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

I'll think of you while I eat my pint of Talenti hazelnut ♡♡♡. Maybe I'll eat it loudly so at least my husband will find ice cream obnoxious
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    12-14% bodyfat, not eaten clean for the duration.
    I do ensure I get plenty of protein, my main meal is very nutrient dense, I eat lots of vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, sweet potato, eggs and such things. But I also have chocolate, cake, cookies, popcorn, ice cream and pizza.
    Oh, and as to fat, I regularly intake 80g of fat, and it has done me no harm. I find it satiating.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I do ensure I get plenty of protein, my main meal is very nutrient dense, I eat lots of vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, sweet potato, eggs and such things. But I also have chocolate, cake, cookies, popcorn, ice cream and pizza.
    Oh, and as to fat, I regularly intake 80g of fat, and it has done me no harm. I find it satiating.

I'm glad to hear this (and that other people are eating this much fat) I was over here thinking I was some crazy fat eating nut or something.

This calls for celebratory cheese.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I'm glad to hear this (and that other people are eating this much fat) I was over here thinking I was some crazy fat eating nut or something.

Yup, I love cheese, especially goat's cheese. Plus nuts, avocado, seeds, egg yolks, butter... oh and my almost daily poached salmon. I have never considered trying to limit myself to 50-60g fat. Would be hard on a daily basis.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm getting about 50 grams now and it seems really low for me. For months I've averaged at least 60.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For me, at 30% it's set at 58g. It should be 35%...so basically I aim for around 55-65g.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

I'm getting about 50 grams now and it seems really low for me. For months I've averaged at least 60.

I hit 89g today *shifty eyes*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

:cry:

I admit though-- the higher carbs are helping me kill my workouts.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options

I'll think of you while I eat my pint of Talenti hazelnut ♡♡♡. Maybe I'll eat it loudly so at least my husband will find ice cream obnoxious

Woah calm down people...no one else gets annoyed by certain threads in MFP? Just a personal opinion. Not telling anyone not to do it if they want to and in fact it gives me something to shoot for. In the meantime, it is still kind of annoying to see a thread about people eating ice cream every single day for a month. I only clicked on it once to see what it was about. Not apologizing for having an opinion.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Woah calm down people...no one else gets annoyed by certain threads in MFP? Just a personal opinion. Not telling anyone not to do it if they want to and in fact it gives me something to shoot for. In the meantime, it is still kind of annoying to see a thread about people eating ice cream every single day for a month. I only clicked on it once to see what it was about. Not apologizing for having an opinion.

Nope I don't find what other people are eating annoying. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • Achrya
    Options

:cry:

I admit though-- the higher carbs are helping me kill my workouts.

Carbs? What are carbs?

If I'd eaten fish instead of pizza, like I'd orignally planned, I would have been under 125 grams of carbs today. It's not my fault though, the fat...it calls to me