How can a vegan gain muscle?

Options
I haven't had any meat,eggs or cheese in over a month, I bought some whey protein and creatine recently are they going to help? Once I get muscles do I need to start eating more calories? I went from 15lb dumbbells to 25 in a month but that was before I stopped eating meat. I just started lifting again (seriously) tonight. I bench pressed the other day for the first time and managed 75lbs but only for five times. Is it hard to gain muscle while losing weight? I want to be lean for the Summer.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    whey is a milk product, therefore not part of a vegan diet.

That said, essentially to gain any noticable amount of muscle you will need a caloric surplus (eating above maintenance calories) and would want adequate protein doesnt matter the source.

And heavy lifting with very little to no cardio.
  • louise294
    louise294 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Look at Doug Graham's Youtube channel FoodnSport

Dr Doug Graham advocates a raw vegan diet for muscle gain
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any meat,eggs or cheese in over a month, I bought some whey protein and creatine recently are they going to help? Once I get muscles do I need to start eating more calories? I went from 15lb dumbbells to 25 in a month but that was before I stopped eating meat. I just started lifting again (seriously) tonight. I bench pressed the other day for the first time and managed 75lbs but only for five times. Is it hard to gain muscle while losing weight? I want to be lean for the Summer.

Your objectives sound a bit confused, so this is based on what I think you're asking. I'd note that you perhaps ned to do some more research on a vegan diet, it's perfectly possible to improve your fitness and gain lean mass on a vegan diet, but you need to be clear about what you want from it. You also need to be clear on what's vegan and what's not. Soy based protein supplements are vegan suitable, whey based products aren't.

To retain lean muscle whilst losing weight you need to do resistance training as well as eat sufficient protein.

To gain lean muscle you need to be doing more resistance training whilst eating at your maintenance level or above it. So it all depends where in that cyce you currently are, as to what the best approach is going to be.
    l
    As far as your protein intake as a vegan, it's challenging. It's difficult enough from a vegetarian perspective. You're predominantly looking at pulses, tofu, quinoa, nuts, edamame, mushrooms, spinach, brocolli, hemp seeds or milk, soy milk, almond milk. Lots of volume of all of those though.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    bizarro-vegan-gorilla-comics1.gif
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Here is a short read that is pretty informative, IMHO.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/vegetarianism/
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone I guess I will just be a vegetarian and still take the whey and not vegan. It's not bad not eating meat, most of people I know that are big meat eaters think I'm crazy for not eating it but I get more energy from vegetables and fruits and such.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    - Yes, it is hard to gain muscle while losing weight. Actually, it's an incredibly slow process that takes place over the course of months known as body recomposition. You can make improvements in your strength and I do encourage you to keep lifting as it will help to preserve your muscle, but at a significant deficit (more than .5lb/week) you're not going to see much, if any, actual muscle gain.
    - Whey is a milk product. If you do want to go vegan, there are hemp and soy protein powders on the market that you can mix with your rice/soy/almond milk.
    - A quick search will help you find your vegan protein sources. Stick to them and meet your protein goals. I know you get your energy in the carbs from fruits and vegetables, but you need protein and fat too. Certain vegetables are higher in protein, certain dairy alternatives are higher in protein, certain nuts and beans are higher in protein. You've got to make your choices around that.

If you're not serious about a vegan diet, I wouldn't bother. If it's something you feel strongly about, you'll find a way to make it work.
  • chocolate_moose
    chocolate_moose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle you have to build muscle by lifting weights. As for food, you also want to make sure you're eating enough protein. Whey protein is made from dairy, you want a vegan protein. Consider talking to a personal trainer for weight training and a dietitian for healthy vegan/vegetarian food options.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Cute. But gorillas DO eat meat. :smile:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone I guess I will just be a vegetarian and still take the whey and not vegan. It's not bad not eating meat, most of people I know that are big meat eaters think I'm crazy for not eating it but I get more energy from vegetables and fruits and such.

There are some really awesome vegan protein powders on the market that are just as good. Check out Vega, Garden of Life, and Plant Fusion.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

Gorillas in captivity are fed about 15-20 pounds of fruits and vegetables every day, no meat.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    whey is a milk product, therefore not part of a vegan diet.

That said, essentially to gain any noticable amount of muscle you will need a caloric surplus (eating above maintenance calories) and would want adequate protein doesnt matter the source.

And heavy lifting with very little to no cardio.

OP wants to be leaner, lose weight and gain muscle.

Your suggestion looks like is for bulking.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Look at Doug Graham's Youtube channel FoodnSport

Dr Doug Graham advocates a raw vegan diet for muscle gain

Cause everyone knows that blindly following a youtube guru is the answer to alllll your problems. smh

You need to be in a surplus. You might see gains as a beginner but being "vegan" will make that much harder for you.
  • sgadacz1
    sgadacz1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I personally like to use Shakeology Vegan Chocolate. Great source of protein as well as a meal/snack replacement. FULL of nutrition. Read about it for yourself.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Gorillas in captivity are fed about 15-20 pounds of fruits and vegetables every day, no meat.

Sure..... and they succumb to disease and are unhealthy. Funny you use this as evidence because it's been shown that when they return to their wild diet, they do much better health wise.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

Sure..... and they succumb to disease and are unhealthy. Funny you use this as evidence because it's been shown that when they return to their wild diet, they do much better health wise.

I'm just saying they don't NEED meat, I'm not suggesting it's evidence for anything, it's just a fact. And I'd like to see YOUR proof that gorillas on a plant based diet are sickly and diseased. This is soooo off topic btw.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Horses don't eat meat, but I don't understand how that's relevant.

And the answer to the question posed in the topic title is:

Slowly.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I personally like to use Shakeology Vegan Chocolate. Great source of protein as well as a meal/snack replacement. FULL of nutrition. Read about it for yourself.

did you PM the OP your pitch yet?
    i havent actually seen one before.....mind pasting it here?