How can a vegan gain muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

The Forums on this site will be helpful. Robert Cheeke's book is also good. Having been vegan for a very long time, I have no problems gaining muscle mass on my diet. But it does involve eating to macros and at a surplus. Find a good lifting program, eat to surplus, and hit your macros and you'll accomplish muscle gain slowly. Be patient and good luck.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    bizarro-vegan-gorilla-comics1.gif

Cute. But gorillas DO eat meat. :smile:

Gorillas in captivity are fed about 15-20 pounds of fruits and vegetables every day, no meat.

Pump a human vegan full of test and tren and whatever else and he'll pack on muscle mass too.

News flash: people aren't gorillas.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    To the OP. It appears you are trying to dive head first into a diet/lifestyle that you are unfamiliar with. Many successful people are vegans or vegetarians or meat eaters or combination of various intakes. I would suggest you take some time educating yourself on various options.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

No they don't. They eat mostly foliage with the occasional fruit.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

No they don't. They eat mostly foliage with the occasional fruit.
    '

They also contain different digestive flora which enable them to break down cellulose which is, of course, a protein! Humans do not and cannot support this digestive flora.

OP, you do realize whey protein comes from dairy products right? If you want to gain any appreciable amount of muscle you are going to AT LEAST have to add dairy to your diet. There really isn't any way around it.

Think about it this way. If you are going to build a log cabin what do you need?

Logs....
  • Lofteren
    Options
    thanks everyone I guess I will just be a vegetarian and still take the whey and not vegan. It's not bad not eating meat, most of people I know that are big meat eaters think I'm crazy for not eating it but I get more energy from vegetables and fruits and such.

There are some really awesome vegan protein powders on the market that are just as good. Check out Vega, Garden of Life, and Plant Fusion.

You should also check out their "really awesome" hormonal side effects that mimic menopause in women and cause gynecymastia and reduced libido in men.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Is OP a gorilla?
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm not a vegan, and neither is the OP (Seems we're both vegetarians.), but some of the information may be helpful. I especially enjoyed the debate about whether or not gorillas are vegetarians. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cellulose is a carb BTW. Indigestible polysaccharide.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    20121016142310!Bluto_Eats_Spinach.gif
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bananas could help,,,
  • Lofteren
    Options
    20121016142310!Bluto_Eats_Spinach.gif

People tell me I look like him all the time
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

So I guess this means if we eat what a gorilla eats, we'd get as buff as them? Seems legit.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    whey is a milk product, therefore not part of a vegan diet.

That said, essentially to gain any noticable amount of muscle you will need a caloric surplus (eating above maintenance calories) and would want adequate protein doesnt matter the source.

And heavy lifting with very little to no cardio.

OP wants to be leaner, lose weight and gain muscle.

Your suggestion looks like is for bulking.

Lose weight=calorie deficit

Gain muscle=calorie surplus

So OP ain't doing both at the same time.