Maybe Its Too Early Too See Results?

Options
XDDuckie
XDDuckie Posts: 5 Member
Hi there,
I have been doing cardio 45 mins to an hour (zumba) 3 times a week and trying to eat no more than 1600 calories. And I am gaining weight; I have gained 2lbs in a week. Im wondering if I am doing something wrong? Or is it just too early? HELP I FEEL LIKE GIVING UP :(

Replies

• hilousna08
    hilousna08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water?
  • mandapanda527
    Options
    I feel the same way & I'm doing 1200 calories & of course replacing calories I burn from elliptical 45 minutes 5 times a week
  • XDDuckie
    XDDuckie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am drinking at least 8 cups a day; more when I am exercising
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dont give up!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Make sure you are logging your calories correctly. I just started as well and had to invest in a scale (8$ on Amazon!) to weigh my food. My guesses were way off! 2) Also make sure your are logging the correct number of calories burned from exercise. When I use MFP's numbers, I am conservative as I believe the numbers are a bit high. 3) Drink drink drink water!!!!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    open your diary if you want feedback.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Don't stop,make sure you've counted your calories correctly,if you have maybe you need to lower them a bit or do more exercise.Weightlifting would be good.Don't worry you won't end up looking like a bodybuilder from weightlifting lol
  • srkimball10
    Options
    Last year I started insanity. I had the same problem where I was gaining weight for the first few weeks and it was highly disappointing. After doing some research I had learned that this was a fairly common thing. As you work out (Especially if you are going to a new, higher intensity workout) your muscles will gain a sort of water weight, something to do with the lactic acid (the acid left in your muscles that make them hurt after a workout) another thing is that muscle is heavier than fat too. Take your measurements and follow those instead. Much more accurate sign of body change than the pounds lost.
    Drink lots of water and measure foods well. Keep up the hard work. Change up your routine regularly too. Eat nutritious foods.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, as I will be showing on video soon, that scales are NOT perfect! They do change their accuracy, etc.

You're a female. Water weight can throw you off if you're paying attention to the scale too much. What is more important is proper amount of calories macronutrients and keeping it constant so you don't panic. When you're first starting out almost no rules of thumb will apply. If you're see-sawing with your water intake, sodium or potassium it will confuse you as well... if you allow it.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM make sure your exercise is at a fat burning level. When I first started everything was so hard as I was so heavy. The HRM helped me know how hard to push myself and when to ease off. I worked out 4-5 days a week to lose my weight. I gradually kept tweaking my diet til it's pretty healthy. First thing I stopped was diet soda. Then I cut the fat back in my diet and then the sodium. Found out I didn't eat nearly enough protein for a sedentary person let alone and exercising one. Keep it up and make small changes. Don't give up. Just because the car has one flat tire doesn't mean you slash the other 3.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    While the caloric deficit is important for weight loss, it is also important what you eat. I peeked at your food diary. You are eating pretty good amounts of out-of-the-box foods, high in sodium and fat. 65g of fat per day is too much. Change what you eat - introduce greens, fruits. and reduce the fat intake and you will see results faster. Good luck
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Water retention, high sodium diet, perhaps too much cardio, and other factors could be reasons why you are gaining weight.

Make sure you're not overlogging calories, and clean up your diet to eliminate the really high sodium foods.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your foods? and what are your macro nutrient quantities?
  • Snow3y
    Options
    While the caloric deficit is important for weight loss, it is also important what you eat. I peeked at your food diary. You are eating pretty good amounts of out-of-the-box foods, high in sodium and fat. 65g of fat per day is too much. Change what you eat - introduce greens, fruits. and reduce the fat intake and you will see results faster. Good luck

Fats do not make a person fat. Please read up on nutrition before handing out advice. Nor does what you eat matter.
  • alexveksler
    Options

Fats do not make a person fat. Please read up on nutrition before handing out advice. Nor does what you eat matter.

Really? Perhaps you should go back and read an original post before throwing out your comments. The original post was a plea to understand why she is not losing any weight with daily exercise and current diet. Perhaps you should read up on the benefits of the micronutrients and understand that 100 calories of cheetos and not the same as 100 calories of spinach.
  • hekate89
    hekate89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Last year I started insanity. I had the same problem where I was gaining weight for the first few weeks and it was highly disappointing. After doing some research I had learned that this was a fairly common thing. As you work out (Especially if you are going to a new, higher intensity workout) your muscles will gain a sort of water weight, something to do with the lactic acid (the acid left in your muscles that make them hurt after a workout) another thing is that muscle is heavier than fat too. Take your measurements and follow those instead. Much more accurate sign of body change than the pounds lost.
    Drink lots of water and measure foods well. Keep up the hard work. Change up your routine regularly too. Eat nutritious foods.

^This! This is soo important to remember! In the beginning it is more useful to take measurements because you might get heavier, but you could get smaller at the same time if you are gaining muscle. Also I had a few problems with my weight just standing still for a month or so. I did eat healthy and worked out a bit, but nothing happened. Turned out I was actually eating too little, so when I started eating a little (like 100-200 calories more than I had done earlier) more, I started to go down again. Just a tip=)
  • JayyBake
    JayyBake Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Um...the OP never said fats make you fat, he/she just said 65g of fat per day is too much. And while I agree, that is merely a matter of opinion. And yes, WHAT you eat makes a huge difference. You can intake 2000 cals/day from a meal at mcdonalds, or 2000cals/day from things like baked chicken, milk, and greens. And I promise, your metabolism will like the healthier foods alot more than it will like the fast food.
  • alexveksler
    Options
    Um...the OP never said fats make you fat, he/she just said 65g of fat per day is too much. And while I agree, that is merely a matter of opinion. And yes, WHAT you eat makes a huge difference. You can intake 2000 cals/day from a meal at mcdonalds, or 2000cals/day from things like baked chicken, milk, and greens. And I promise, your metabolism will like the healthier foods alot more than it will like the fast food.

This!! Precisely my point. I lost 40LBS on 1500 calorie diet. After moving to raw fruits and veggies and increasing my calories to 2000 daily, I lost additional 50. Go figure!! :)
  • francesjdae
    Options
    Be patient & don't give up!
    Understandably, you want to see results (quickly!), but the best investment is in your health and not for body aesthetics.
    Continue doing your research from credible sources, but don't be distraught with yourself & give yourself credit for putting in work and being disciplined enough to track your foods and make healthy decisions.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    After a particularly intense workout a couple weekends ago (2 1/2 hours of mixed martial arts on Saturday after a full-body weight session Friday night), I gained three pounds overnight. It was just glycogen, but it's taken this long for it to come back off. It's normal for this to happen following a significant uptick in activity. Two weeks isn't long enough to show a real trend... I'd suggest you stay the course for 2-4 more weeks before making adjustments.
  • Snow3y
    Options

Really? Perhaps you should go back and read an original post before throwing out your comments. The original post was a plea to understand why she is not losing any weight with daily exercise and current diet. Perhaps you should read up on the benefits of the micronutrients and understand that 100 calories of cheetos and not the same as 100 calories of spinach.

Yes, *macro*(not micro as you call them, those would be your vitamins and minerals) nutrients are important. However, the OP would like to know why they are not losing weight. Simply stating "you're eating too many fats!" is completely rubbish. I'm eating about 80g of fats per day, am I becoming fat?