Maybe Its Too Early Too See Results?

Options
2»

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Um...the OP never said fats make you fat, he/she just said 65g of fat per day is too much. And while I agree, that is merely a matter of opinion. And yes, WHAT you eat makes a huge difference. You can intake 2000 cals/day from a meal at mcdonalds, or 2000cals/day from things like baked chicken, milk, and greens. And I promise, your metabolism will like the healthier foods alot more than it will like the fast food.

Ok so you're telling me I'm not going to get fat if I eat 4000 calories of healthy, unprocessed meals? Please, explain your logic and science here. :)

Just ETA: I spent a whole month of eating pizza weekly, however sticking to my daily allowances, and experienced NO difference in significant weight gain, from when I was eating dry grilled chicken, whole foods and only complex carbs. Show me studies that support your broscience pls.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    You can get fat from healthy food if you're eating quite a bit over maintenance.I eat 100% clean all year round and bulk on 5000 calories and put on quite a bit of fat.You could eat junk food and as long as you're in a calorific deficit and training you would lose weight(wouldn't look as good though)
  • keishakylejohnson
    keishakylejohnson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I have the same issue and have thought the same thing, but when we reach our goal it will all be worth it. I'm working hard and have been eating right, but the numbers on the scale sometime don't reflect how hard I think i've worked. So, i'm going to push even harder and so should you!! You've got to remember too, on the weeks you don't lose, have you possibly gained muscle?? & recheck your waist/neck/hips measurements and see if you've lost on those :) We can do this..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are a few possible scenerios here.

One - when we start exercising or increase intensity, we tend to increase weight by a pound or two. This is due to water retention in the musles (not the same as bloating) and is normal and will subside.

Two - you also need to consider that there are any number of variables that affect the scale number. Your menstrual cycle can increase weight (bloating) and any other number of factors. Not weighing at the same time of day will also play a role, it is nothing to fluctate 5lbs or more during the course of the day. Even scales can be inaccurate.

Three - you may be eating more than you think. I would look at this option if the scale continues to move up or doesn't move after a few weeks, like more than 3. Log everything. Weighing your food is most accurate. Measure the rest.

A good link to start with
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • daveyb989
    daveyb989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thats the benefit of MFP - you can still enjoy treats - just count them in with all the other stuff each day and make sure you aren't going over. Much more helpful for me than cutting out all the goodies - you feel like you're denying yourself and makes it almost inevitable you'll give up - or maybe I'm just weak willed
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just had a quick look at your diary. Make sure you use your own entries. If you make a sandwich, log all of your ingredients instead of picking an option like "tuna sandwich". Weigh and measure them all. Also, I check your labels and entries carefully. I notice you have 2tbsp of Hellman's Mayo at 70 calories. That is correct for Hellmans light mayo, but the regular stuff is closer to 100 calories per tbsp.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Don't forget, as I will be showing on video soon, that scales are NOT perfect! They do change their accuracy, etc.

You're a female. Water weight can throw you off if you're paying attention to the scale too much. What is more important is proper amount of calories macronutrients and keeping it constant so you don't panic. When you're first starting out almost no rules of thumb will apply. If you're see-sawing with your water intake, sodium or potassium it will confuse you as well... if you allow it.

This!! The water-weight thing is a big deal. I like to weigh every day just to measure my fluctuations. Last week I went up 3 lbs in a day because of just one day of weird salt/water intakes compared to the usual, and it went back down the next day when I evened out.

Scales aren't everything so don't worry. I would also take the suggestion to invest in an HRM it's really helpful. I have the polar ft4 model and it's cute and works really well.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary there are a few entries that I would question.

Sandwich - Tuna Sandwich, 1 oz
    5 slices of pizza for 760 calories (please bring me this pizza if that's the case as long as it's not made from cauliflower)

April 4th doesn't look like you finished logging for the day
    April 5th nothing logged

That's just a few after a quick look, you need to be as accurate as possible. Weigh your portions, stay away from homemade / generic entries. The homemade entries are someone else's recipe you don't know what they put in to get that number.

Work on improving your accuracy, and keep going! It is a learning process, and takes tweaking and patience.

Good luck
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ...As others have mentioned... please make sure you're tracking your intake closely. And if you're not measuring do that or more of that, don't take labels for granted. Also yes mfp can be very off and incorrect at times. Barring disease or malfunction, these perceived problems are usually related to water fluctuations or non accurate tracking. Analysis and meta analysis by people way smarter than all of us has pointed to and confirmed this.

And the more complex a meal, the more inaccurate you're going to be. If you didn't cook it or prepare it, the more inaccurate it will be. That and yes be patient, you will need to learn how and when and what to tweak and change and move around for you and your lifestyle. But make no doubt about it at the the end of the day(s) it's about calories in vs calories out....barring disease or malfunction.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    While the caloric deficit is important for weight loss, it is also important what you eat. I peeked at your food diary. You are eating pretty good amounts of out-of-the-box foods, high in sodium and fat. 65g of fat per day is too much. Change what you eat - introduce greens, fruits. and reduce the fat intake and you will see results faster. Good luck

Really? Perhaps you should go back and read an original post before throwing out your comments. The original post was a plea to understand why she is not losing any weight with daily exercise and current diet. Perhaps you should read up on the benefits of the micronutrients and understand that 100 calories of cheetos and not the same as 100 calories of spinach.

I'd like to know how 65 grams of fat is too much? Based on what premise? And when does the correct amount of fats "kick in" to make a difference when she lowers them...to what level....and how does that level of say 20grams(or whoever you feel is the appropriate amount) change the metabolic functions of freeing up more fatty acids?

100 calories of spinach is the same as 100 calories of cheetos. Yep. Pretty simple. As far as burning fat goes. I can assure you of that. Other than that, no food is the same. No vegetables are required to lose weight. They might be required for overall health. The importance of micronutrients has nothing to do with fat burning other than if a person doesn't get them they will develop a disease or malfunction...I would be open to being privy to any complex or lay person explanation ask to the mechanism of metabolic change to which you imply.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    Also please note that once you start getting below 50% of maintenance level of calories ( no, nooone can know exactly what that is but the point is to consistently eat at a PROPER range of a deficit) you start running more of a risk of experiencing more metabolic adaptation and slowdown, basically shooting your self in the foot. So don't try to severely under eat, and by god eat more protein. Your body needs nitrogen for more than muscle. It's not a bodybuilding thing. The most important macronutrient that everyone wants to under eat. MFP is usually way off in this regard unless you customize. And again, don't use mfp as a limbo stick. it's a tool. You can build a house with a hammer or kill someone with it. Don't turn it into a weapon against yourself as many do. EAT!!!!
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Also please note that once you start getting below 50% of maintenance level of calories ( no, nooone can know exactly what that is but the point is to consistently eat at a PROPER range of a deficit) you start running more of a risk of experiencing more metabolic adaptation and slowdown, basically shooting your self in the foot. So don't try to severely under eat, and by god eat more protein. Your body needs nitrogen for more than muscle. It's not a bodybuilding thing. The most important macronutrient that everyone wants to under eat. MFP is usually way off in this regard unless you customize. And again, don't use mfp as a limbo stick. it's a tool. You can build a house with a hammer or kill someone with it. Don't turn it into a weapon against yourself as many do. EAT!!!!

^^^This
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd bet you are stronger, feel better and have more energy..Give up? No, think of how great you'll feel in a month. In a quarter. In a year.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    While the caloric deficit is important for weight loss, it is also important what you eat. I peeked at your food diary. You are eating pretty good amounts of out-of-the-box foods, high in sodium and fat. 65g of fat per day is too much. Change what you eat - introduce greens, fruits. and reduce the fat intake and you will see results faster. Good luck

Really? Perhaps you should go back and read an original post before throwing out your comments. The original post was a plea to understand why she is not losing any weight with daily exercise and current diet. Perhaps you should read up on the benefits of the micronutrients and understand that 100 calories of cheetos and not the same as 100 calories of spinach.

I'd like to know how 65 grams of fat is too much? Based on what premise? And when does the correct amount of fats "kick in" to make a difference when she lowers them...to what level....and how does that level of say 20grams(or whoever you feel is the appropriate amount) change the metabolic functions of freeing up more fatty acids?

100 calories of spinach is the same as 100 calories of cheetos. Yep. Pretty simple. As far as burning fat goes. I can assure you of that. Other than that, no food is the same. No vegetables are required to lose weight. They might be required for overall health. The importance of micronutrients has nothing to do with fat burning other than if a person doesn't get them they will develop a disease or malfunction...I would be open to being privy to any complex or lay person explanation ask to the mechanism of metabolic change to which you imply.

yah
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I looked through your food diary for April and what I saw is that you do not typically eat enough protein, sodium some days seems rather high, and you do not log consistently (daily; all meals).

Use this tool of MFP to the fullest and you will begin to see better results.