looks like this yesterday...so what I'm doing wrong

Options

Replies

• frenchmaid69
    frenchmaid69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is a totally subjective question. Some people find good results when they eat their exercise calories back while other like myself, find it best not to eat back exercise calories and stick to their daily goal. That being said eat your 1200 calories, if you consistently go under your daily goal your body may go into starvation mode. You need this intake to fuel your body to burn more (fat) calories. Also, you may want to calorie cycle - figure out how many calories you should be netting a week - 1200/day = 8400/week. Then stagger the days so a few days a week eat a litlte over 1200 and other stick to your 1200. :)

You really shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about. This is HORRIBLE advice to give someone that doesn't understand how MFP works. Shame on you!

Excuse me...I am a certified personal trainer and wellness coach. Tell me what was horrible about this? This is a discussion, so back up your "horrible advice" statement please.

Where to start??? I definitely don't think you should tell someone on 1200 calories that they don't need to eat back their exercise calories, especially when this is how MFP is set up. There's no such thing as starvation mode, at least not in the sense you mean and finally there is no need to calorie cycle, especially on such a low food intake!

Oh :ohwell: getting confuset... I should never go under the 1 200 ???
  • frenchmaid69
    Options

Oh and I did not know that my diary is not public how do I do this?

Go to food-> settings-> Diary Sharing (bottom of the page) and set to public.

ok thx
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    and goal to lose 2 lbs a week... I got a fitbit bracelet that sink all my exercises to MFP for me.

If you're using a FitBit, and it syncs to this website, then I suggest (1) changing your settings to "lose 1 lb per week" and (2) eat exactly what MFP is telling you to. So, net whatever it is it's telling you to. It may give you more calories when you change the setting. And that's ok. You're not obese enough to lose weight as fast as 2 lbs per week in a healthy manner.

ok... but I do feel obese trust me... I not happy that I need to get different clothing for the summer because those one are too tight... :blushing: I'm ashamed that I let myself go that way I sometime make excuse its because of I broke up a 26 years relationship and I was stress out but its not an excuse.

If I set 1 lbs a week It will be like next summer before I lose 40 lbs and fit in my clothing...

An other questions.... I notice that my arm ouff... the way bigger and :blushing: flabby will they get more flabby once I lose weight or will the skin go back to where it was... or I really need to do some exercises to firm that up...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is a totally subjective question. Some people find good results when they eat their exercise calories back while other like myself, find it best not to eat back exercise calories and stick to their daily goal. That being said eat your 1200 calories, if you consistently go under your daily goal your body may go into starvation mode. You need this intake to fuel your body to burn more (fat) calories. Also, you may want to calorie cycle - figure out how many calories you should be netting a week - 1200/day = 8400/week. Then stagger the days so a few days a week eat a litlte over 1200 and other stick to your 1200. :)

You really shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about. This is HORRIBLE advice to give someone that doesn't understand how MFP works. Shame on you!

Excuse me...I am a certified personal trainer and wellness coach. Tell me what was horrible about this? This is a discussion, so back up your "horrible advice" statement please.

Where to start??? I definitely don't think you should tell someone on 1200 calories that they don't need to eat back their exercise calories, especially when this is how MFP is set up. There's no such thing as starvation mode, at least not in the sense you mean and finally there is no need to calorie cycle, especially on such a low food intake!

1200 calories is the bare minimum recommended for a sedentary woman. This has less to do with weight loss and more to do with making sure you're getting enough nutrients into your diet. It's harder to get enough protein and fat as well as the various vitamins and minerals your body needs if you're eating at such a low calorie level.

As others have said, hunger is not always the best indicator of whether or not you're getting enough to eat. Your body won't always tell you if you're, say, losing bone density or muscle tissue because of your low calorie level. You may not feel hungry if you're losing hair or have brittle nails because of low fat content in your diet. A lot of things can happen in the background that hunger won't signal.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 from spinning and elliptical and i eat 1200 or less. usually 1000. and im losing wieght

You are probably losing muscle and hurting your metabolism. Sincerely you can do this without starving.

I work out, I am hungry. I eat, I lose weight.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    LOL this thread..
    tumblr_n38at0LGOe1rdredko3_1280.jpg
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    Ok this is what I'm gone do.

I'm gone open my diary to public and eat the net 1 200 calories that I'm suppose to since I never do I will really try hard....

I will also try to reduce the sugar amount I eat not easy but I will try and also try to eat every 3 hours maybe will make a difference.

I will log my food that I eat the best I can.

I will jump on the scale once a week and see If I lost weight and if I don't or I got a problem with something is it ok that I bug you guys for more questions...

I just wanted to say thanks a lots to everyone for your help It nice to know that people care like this...:wink:

That will help me achieved my goal .... I really would like to weight 130 or 135 I don't know if its possible because I'm 45 and 46 in 17 days and I have been told that when you get older its harder to lose weight but that would be nice because then you feel healthier and you not as tired when you don't have all those extra pounds.

Thanks guy's so much :wink: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at the end of the day my plan looks like this

Calories remaining 649

Goal 1 200

+ Food 1 027

- exercise 476

Net 551

So what i'm suppose to do with this...

Was I suppose to eat more to bring up my net at 1 200 or my food intake to 1 200 or was I suppose to eat the calorie remaining until it get to 0 ..... I'm still lost with all of this... I hope some day I will get it... Its not I'm gone quit all this too complicated!

Eat back most of the exercise calories (if they are a result form entering exercise into MFP, I believe MFP over estimates that is why I suggest eating back most, not all calories).

Your body needs the fuel. Do it a favor and give it all it needs.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just flipping through this thread OP (original poster) it seems to me like you have picked up a lot of wrong-headed ideas about what it is to diet and lose weight.

First I'd like to ask you a question and I want you to give this serious thought before answering:

What is your ultimate goal? Is your goal to look aesthetically pleasing, meaning fit, trim, toned while improving your health? Or is your goal solely and only to make the number on your scale decrease?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat back most of the exercise calories (if they are a result form entering exercise into MFP, I believe MFP over estimates that is why I suggest eating back most, not all calories).

The calories are coming from FitBit, I think. If that's the case, I really think she should try eating most, if not all, of them.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    im using xenadrine right now and for those who says its pure snake oil theyre dumbasses. It works! i can feel my spine and ribs now that i hadn't before. it controls my hunger too. I usually try not to count calories but on cheat days i definately dont. i treated myself to a japnese sweet bun today and i didnt think of it

Just go away.

OP: DON'T LISTEN TO THIS CRAP.
  • frenchmaid69
    Options

1200 calories is the bare minimum recommended for a sedentary woman. This has less to do with weight loss and more to do with making sure you're getting enough nutrients into your diet. It's harder to get enough protein and fat as well as the various vitamins and minerals your body needs if you're eating at such a low calorie level.

As others have said, hunger is not always the best indicator of whether or not you're getting enough to eat. Your body won't always tell you if you're, say, losing bone density or muscle tissue because of your low calorie level. You may not feel hungry if you're losing hair or have brittle nails because of low fat content in your diet. A lot of things can happen in the background that hunger won't signal.

oh ok... thanks... its funny that you say something about brittle nails because mine are like that my nails on my hands always brake well since my English is not always the greatest but they like double if this is what brittle mean, and I am always dizzy maybe because I don't eat enough.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Here is an allergy tip - it takes a while - but does help. (and it'll get you some extra calories too)

Find a source of LOCAL honey - use a tbsp a day - the pollen in the honey helps your body become immune to it and it helps your allergies, because the pollen in no longer 'foreign' Kind of like allergy shots help you build immunity too. and a TBSP will give you about 64 calories. You can add it too tea, or oatmeal or something if you like - I add it to PB toast. (which is also calorie dense and good for you) during the worst seasons of the year. Since doing this, I've had to buy way less Claritan in our house!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

The calories are coming from FitBit, I think. If that's the case, I really think she should try eating most, if not all, of them.

If so I'd say all too. I find my FitBit pretty reliable.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 from spinning and elliptical and i eat 1200 or less. usually 1000. and im losing wieght

That is a 1 way trip to muscle loss.. but if your goal is to just drop scale weight sure go for it.. but if you want a toned look losing all that muscle will just get you the skinny fat look.

You can always tone later or during ... toning is an ongoing process ... as much or as little as you want.

You can reach your goal weight first and then tone for muscle tone and definition later.

Are you really endorsing ONLY eating exercise calories as she's suggested here? What about the 1200 she should be having in addition to cover her basic living needs (BMI). Its not healthy.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I'm gone open my diary to public and eat the net 1 200 calories that I'm suppose to since I never do I will really try hard....

I will also try to reduce the sugar amount I eat not easy but I will try and also try to eat every 3 hours maybe will make a difference.

I will jump on the scale once a week and see If I lost weight and if I don't or I got a problem with something is it ok that I bug you guys for more questions...

I just wanted to say thanks a lots to everyone for your help It nice to know that people care like this...:wink:

That will help me achieved my goal .... I really would like to weight 130 or 135 I don't know if its possible because I'm 45 and 46 in 17 days and I have been told that when you get older its harder to lose weight but that would be nice because then you feel healthier and you not as tired when you don't have all those extra pounds.

You have a great attitude. Stick with it and you will be successful!
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    Yesterday at the end of the day my plan looks like this

Calories remaining 649

Goal 1 200

+ Food 1 027

- exercise 476

Net 551

So what i'm suppose to do with this...

Was I suppose to eat more to bring up my net at 1 200 or my food intake to 1 200 or was I suppose to eat the calorie remaining until it get to 0 ..... I'm still lost with all of this... I hope some day I will get it... Its not I'm gone quit all this too complicated!

Your body needs the fuel. Do it a favor and give it all it needs.
    ok thx
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

You got this, you do not have to starve to lose weight. I always eat back my calories, it has never hindered my weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    There is a simple way to look at this that I think will put you into a much more healthy pattern for dieting and getting to where you want to be. Its just this:

You should eat food like the healthy person you want to be and not at huge deficits that you would never be able to maintain. Ask yourself this, if you didn't have the extra fat right now would you ever EVER consider netting only 500 calories in a day? You say you aren't anorexic because you have some fat on you right now, but if you eat like that you are eating like an anorexic and that is the direction you are pushing your body. That is not a place you want to be. If you eat at the maintenance level of someone who is at your goal weight you will eventually lose fat down to that goal weight assuming all else being equal. You can eat a little less than that but you should never drop below 1200 calories net if you can help it and of course you CAN help it just eat some almonds or something.

Eat more. Yes, net at least 1200 calories a day. 1200 calorie net is still pretty aggressive for weight loss and you will lose weight netting that little.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Sounds like an excellent plan. Good luck to you.