My Friends Think I Have an Eating Disorder

2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    My mother was convinced I was anorexic. I see her about once a year and I lost a lot of weight in between visits.

I was doing Weight Watchers at the time. I don't know if you know how that works, but a quick rundown: You get a certain number of daily points, then 35 weekly points to use or not whenever and you get more points you can use if you exercise. During my time with WW, I ate every last point I got, and sometimes more and still lost weight.

When my mother accused me of being anorexic, I weighed 132 (I'm 5'3"). Most of my life, I was much smaller than that, so I'm not sure why she didn't remember that. Anyway, while I was there, I got a sub from Wegmans (we don't have it here and they make the best subs!). It was 14 inches and had cheese and mayo on it and I ate the whole thing in one sitting.

She stopped accusing me of being anorexic.

Also, in high school I was really, really tiny without even trying, but I HATED the school food, so I never ate lunch (I would eat ice cream and Little Debbie snacks and then get fast food with friends after school). I found out that an acquaintance who ate lunch with me every day was telling people she thought I was anorexic. I just laughed, it was so absurd.

Don't be hurt by it. They're probably just concerned. You know you're doing the right thing.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Alot of people wouldn't recognize healthy weight loss if it slapped them in the face. My step mom is doing that to my sister. She thinks she's doing drugs to get thin. she's worked nearly two years to get where she's at, with exercise and healthy eating. My sister has always been the chunky one, and she's 5"2", so her healthy weight would be around 115-120. She's 120, and my step mom thinks she's got a problem. My sister smokes weed, but that's the only drug she does(recreationally lol). So, don't feel too bad. Some people just don't understand.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Thanks everyone! And I_wanna_b_an_RN, can I just say that I LOVE the quote in your signature... that's going up on my bulletin board as my quote for the week!
  • I used to be in a sorority so I know how difficult it is when a problem or issue arrises. When I was active, we would have weekly meetings to discuss upcoming events and what is going on within the sorority and on campus. Maybe use this time, after the meeting when everyone is all together, to talk to them. Let them all know that you have been made aware that some of them are worried you have an eating disorder and discuss what you have done to lose the weight and what you are currently doing to lose the last little bit.

The last meetings of the month (with my sorority), our VP of Programs would have someone come in and talk to us about differnt things. If this is something your sorority does, maybe have a Nutritionalist and Personal Trainer come in and speak to the group and "randomly" use your weight loss as an example. Make sure they talk about a healthy body weight/BMI, number of calories to consume a day, etc.

Best of luck, I know it's hard but you deserve to feel good about how hard you have worked! Keep it up!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    people that are truly close to you will know what you are doing and will see the hard work you are putting into this journey. Others are just hatin'. Period. Let it roll off your back along with the sweat from working out! lol Good luck and who cares what people think!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Thanks everyone! And I_wanna_b_an_RN, can I just say that I LOVE the quote in your signature... that's going up on my bulletin board as my quote for the week!

Aw! Thanks! I made that one. lol I hope you feel better about your "sisters." And you really should be eating more in public or invite your sisters over for a healthy dinner. :bigsmile:
  • pizzy
    pizzy Posts: 47
    your doing a great job, dont worry about what any one else says, like some of the people here they are probley just jealous, dont let them get to you. you are doing wanderful and keep up the good work.
This discussion has been closed.