Non-Runners - did you turn into a runner or quit?

Options

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I did running for a little over a month. And I HATED it at first. It was the most boring exercise in the entire world, but I was determined to run anyway, because I felt like that's what fit people do, and I needed to build stamina, and all that nonsense.

Turns out, I have the worst running form in the entire world.

After I got tendinitis twice in a month and a half, my doctor told me I'm not allowed to run anymore unless I got physical therapy first to learn to do it correctly. And because that wasn't really an option for me, I just quit running and went back to doing martial arts, which I've done for ten years and love. And you know what? While I still wish I could learn to be a runner, I don't regret giving it up. In the end, doing something you find boring or awful just doesn't seem worth it, no matter what benefits it gives.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner - hated it. Quit basketball and switched to volleyball in high school for less running and staying on my own side of the court. :tongue:

At the age of 43, for some unknown reason, I decided to learn to run. Downloaded a c25k program (c25kFREE by Zen Labs), followed the plan, and within the allotted time I was running for 30 minutes without stopping (or dying). Over two years later, I'm still running an average of 3-6 miles, three days a week, and enjoying it.

Tips -
    - Get good shoes, fitted at a good running store if possible.
    - Go slow, I mean S L O W - don't try to do too much too soon, which often leads to injury or burnout. The c25k program is great because it eases you in - I made it through the whole things without so much as a twinge of a shin splint.
    - Run outside whenever possible. I've never run on a treadmill, so can't compare, but if you ever race (and you should, a 5k race is fun) it will be outside, and they say the treadmill is a very different experience. Plus it's awesome to be outside.
    - Dress properly - get some good wicking tops, a good sports bra, shorts that prevent the chafing, even good socks - avoid cotton everything.
    - Download an app like Nike+ or Runkeeper that will track your route, distance and pace. It's a good way to keep a record of your progress and milestones.
    - Find a fun 5k run in your area that's happening sometime after you'll be done with the c25k program. It's a great motivator to have a race on the horizon, and a great way to cap off your training and celebrate your accomplishment. And like I said, racing is fun, and a 5k always has all sorts of runners of all ages, sizes and abilities.

Good luck!
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to make fun of runners. :laugh: This morning I was thinking, if I could only pick one activity to do for the rest of my life I'd pick running. :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I, for a very long time, was a non-runner, I'd had broken ankles and damaged knees and every time I tried I ended up giving myself sin-splints or similar. I swam, cycled, kayaked, climbed and sailed so it wasn't an issue. About a year ago, when I realised I had to do something about my weight, I was looking at what I could do to train and had a number of constraints. Principally I travelled a lot with work and needed something that had minimal equipment and was flexible in terms of time.

After doing a bit of researched I figured that part of the reason for the shin-splints had been overloading myself too quickly, so I used a C25K plan to manage my own approach and reduce the risk of injury. I finished the C25K in about 12 weeks, and was losing a reasonable amount of weight, when I coupled the running with watching what I was eating.

I still enjoy cycling, so do a fair amount of that; road and mountain, but I'm now running from 35-40km per week, with my longer runs being up to 18km. As a resul tof being more considered in my running I'm not suffering from any injuries, and I'm actualy finding that my ankles and knees are a lot stronger as a result of the running.

I've lost a couple of stone, and my bodyfat percentage has reduced significantly, from excessive into low normal range.

As a form of exercise, it helps me by continually challenging me, there is always the scope to go further, faster, or to push my intervals harder. I don't much enjoy interval sessions, the tenth 20 second sprint is incredibly painful, but ther is a lot of satisfaction at the end. It's also good for the stress to get out and clear my head, particularly on my long runs.

All that said, it's important to do something that you enjoy. I find resistance training pretty boring, but it's an essential part of the programme, as it helps me avoid injury as much as watching my form and my pace. Lots of people love it, and that's fine too. I also dislike group classes, part of the benefit for me is to get time in my own head and process things. Some people love the social aspect of classes.

As far as a runners high is concerned, I can see that and I guess I've experienced it. The repetitive motion and steady pace are quite meditative, and it's the same clarity that I get when I sit. doesn't always last for long as even a steady paced run can be hard work, maintaining a six or seven mph for a couple of hours is demanding and the pain will intrude.

Worth it though, I'm glad I made the effort to pick it up again.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Once I started c25k, I got angry at my gym teachers for never mentioning it. Seriously, I was actually convinced, for 15 years, that I was not, and would never be, a runner. They just expected us to run a sub 30min 5k once every semester, then went back to volleyball or some such...
    I finally worked my way up to a half marathon last year, and these days, I go stir-crazy if I can't get a run in at least every other day....
  • sassycraftyfit
    Options
    I've been running for about 6 years now. When I first started I really didnt like it - running never really interested me, outside of running to a different base during a softball game. In 2008 I decided to join the Air Force and knew I would need to be able to pass a physical fitness test which included a 1.5 mile run. I had previously had 4 knee surgeries (3 minor, 1 a patella realignment, which is pretty major) and didnt know how my knees would handle the running, but I tried. It took me about 7 months, but I made it up to running 5 miles and really fell in love with it! Since then I've run countless 5ks, and in 2010 I ran my first half marathon. I have since run 3 more with my 4th coming up in 2 weeks, and shooting for the full marathon later this year. I still have to be careful about my knees but whenever I have to take time off to rest them, it is pretty agonizing! I definitely crave the "me" time that running, especially long runs, give me! :)
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I first started walking with my wife 2 or 3 times a week, and exercising with my brother Sunday morning. However, my goal had been up to that point, to be able to cross a finish line next to him. My brother is a vegan, barefoot, marathon, former Marine, police officer, and here I was, just his fat brother who couldn't run up a flight of stairs. So I had to start running. I started with what I could do, which oddly turned out to be much more than I had thought possible. My brain was my biggest enemy starting out. I tried the C25K app, but in all honesty the constant starting and stopping left me wrecked. It was easier to keep going if I never stopped. About a month ago, i did my first 5K with my brother constantly by my side. The guy who can run 6 minute miles stuck with me going much slower and I had the pleasure of meeting that goal. Now I have my eyes set on being on his marathon relay team. Austin, TX to Corpus Christi, TX...223 miles. I'm not pursuing running as much for the analytic gains or benefits for my health; I am pursuing it so that I can reach certain goals in my life. I like to think of myself as a runner in training.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am a non-runner, but followed the C25K app for a while, and almost finished it. Even though, I didn't finish it, I was able to run maybe 3 miles. I have a difficult time running because it's really hard on my knees and hips. I bought special running shoes with the opinions of multiple professionals and still had issues with the impact on my lower body. Needless to say, I found that running isn't for me, although I enjoyed it. I have taken up biking and Zumba and walking instead of running. I wish I could run, just too hard on me.

This, mushy left knee and arthritic right hip. I can run maybe amile before the pain staarts. I dobthat for a charity 5k and walk the rest occasionally but I have not become a runner.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was an absolute non-runner. Tried to get into it a few times and failed miserably due to shin splints and bursitis. I'd always get that pang of jealousy whenever I saw runners on the street and so I decided to make one last ditch effort. Even signed up for a 10k to force me to stick to the plan! Got fitted for decent shoes and started really slow. I'm talking 30 seconds of running at a time.... slow! Today I ran my first EVER full mile :happy:
    It took me 8 weeks to get to this point and I've wanted to give up many a time. Today I knew I wanted to keep going more than ever.
    Get up to your first mile before you quit, you might find yourself enjoying it :wink:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 years old, female and about 5'2 and 185. Obviously I'm overweight. I have never liked running but haven't minded it when it's part of a sport like soccer. I also don't mind classes like Zumba or Step aerobics so it's not a matter of not wanting to do intense cardio. My question is for non-runners who have tried running, how many really convert to being runners and get the runners high and the fever to be a lifelong runner? Or do most try it or do it out of necessity but never fall in love and give it up or replace it with other things? I run heavy footed, not light footed. I know I should bring it into my routine especially since it would be the easiest exercise to do when my kids are in sports and not require going to a gym (when I don't have enough time for a full workout). If you have converted, did you follow a C25k method or just go out there and not let yourself quit? I want to quit after a block every single time. Just not finding the groove but maybe not sticking with it long enough? Thanks for your input/inspiration or your story or reality about whether non runners really ever convert?

I don't consider myself a quitter or failure because running is not my aerobic exercise of choice. Yep, I did it, about a decade ago in my 40's. But I never really got 'into' it. It was just a means to an end. Eventually I decided to stick with aerobic exercises that I like. Now that being said - I still occasionally will break into a run while I'm out of a brisk walk or hike...it feels good expending that little burst of energy but knowing I don't have to run until I feel like puking.

Don't get me wrong. Running is great exercise (hats off to all you runners!!). I say give it a good try but don't beat yourself up about it if you'd rather be - biking, hiking, swimming, brisk walking, jumping rope, zumba, climbing hills, dancing, jogging, kickboxing, doing an aerobic video.....the list goes on and on. Find something you like, be committed and give it your all!
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm on week five of C25K. I have been amazed how quickly I have progressed. I also lift weights and do Pilates or Jillian michaels. I can't say I love running but I see the potential. I really enjoy distance cycling and I thought that sucked when I first started! When everything aches and you feel uncoordinated all exercises aren't loads of fun. I plan on keeping variety in my exercise program as I'm hoping that will keep me motivated for the long haul. I used to just bike and then I moved to Alaska and set out the long winters. Before you know it I gained 60 pounds and stopped exercising all together. I want to have lots of options of exercises I like and feel comfortable with and running will be part of that arsenal.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Quit. I have a runner's build and runner's endurance. According to my MA instructor I run fast (when he makes us) because I'm 75% legs. I ran 10 miles a day, 5 days a week, on sand when I was in my 20's for fitness.

The only way I'd run voluntarily now is a fire, so if you see me running outside of class, you should probably run, too. IHMO, not to dog anyone else's workout, find running frightfully boring! There you are going, going, going.................... Then there is sprinting. At least with long distance the scenery sort of changes. Sprinting makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel and is even more boring.

I like workouts that involve technique and have a constant need for concentration. I also like to learn something useful such as self-defense. There you have it.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I was a nonrunner when I started one year ago. It took me a month before I was able to run for a full mile. Then I went overboard and got runner's knee. Dr told me I may have arthritis (I don't) and ortho said to stop running if it kept hurting after physical therapy, which it did. I didn't listen and decided on personal training instead, did lots of squats, lunges, deadlifts, stretching. Then I slowly increased the mileage and frequency. I have run as much as 8 miles (had to back down because I advanced too quickly, again), but now I am running over 20 miles a week and have run in many 5K's and two 10K's. Will be doing a 5 mile trail race in 2 weeks. Training for 10 mile Tower of Terror in October. I am slow, but that is ok now (It wasn't when I was young). As long as I don't advance the miles too quickly and I adhere to stretching and strengthening, I am good with the knees.

I love it--I have an andoid app that reads me my books. Sometimes I listen to podcasts, occasionally some music. It is relaxing and time to myself that is healthy. And it burns more calories per hour than anything else I have done besides spinning and I am not too fond of spinning (music so loud it makes me deaf for hours). It helps me burn off the calories I eat!

Saying that--why do an exercise that you hate or dislike? Find something you like to do and WILL do consistently in the future.
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I started out at 211 and could not run, at all. I dreaded it but didn't necessarily hate it. When I joined the gym, I was given an exercise program that included HIIT on the treadmill for 15 minutes and I credit my love of running to this. The first week was hard then one day I decided I wanted to run for a full 5 minutes at a 7.5km speed. I completed this and the next day I tried a full 10 minutes. I kept increasing it everyday and before I knew it, I was running for half an hour at 8,5km without stopping! I decided to take it outside and it was so hard. 2 minutes in and I was panting but I didn't stop. I ran very, very slowly but with things like running, the more you're out, the better your endurance and the more you want to keep going.....Anyway, long story short, I was running 5 mile distances in under an hour. I quit for 6 months but I'm back at it again......I'm just back from a 7 mile run in 55 minutes. The high I get after my runs is incredible so don't quit. The more you do it, the more you want to beat your last run's record and create more. Good luck!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    OP all runners start off as non-runners at some point in their lives. The absolute hardest is the beginning when you're getting started. I only started running in January of last year. I've since completed a full marathon and am currently training for another one as well as a 100km ultramarathon.

Here's the link to my running story:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1087618-obese-sedentary-to-marathon-runner
  • tiffanylindenmuth
    tiffanylindenmuth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner. Actually last year this time I couldn't run one full lap at the track! That is only .25 of a mile! Now I can run over 5 miles without stopping. I can run 22 laps without stopping! But I normally run a 5k (3.10 miles) about 4 times a week to work on my speed. I can finish that in 31 minutes now. I get faster and faster every month. All I did was try to run for like a full minute at a time and then walk for 2 minutes adn I would do this for about 20 to 20 minutes. Until eventually I was running for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then more and more. Then to work on my speed, becasue I was really really slow I would go to the track and run the straight aways and speed walk to curves. I actually took about 3 months off of running because of an injury and when I started running again I was FAST and in shock. In January I started doing kick boxing, and p90x and this has vastly improved my running and speed. Sometimes I feel like I can run forever. AND I love to run now. I learned to keep my feet under my body and found my perfect form. Running has helped me in so many ways and I recommend it to all. I was def heavier then you when I started running. ALOT heavier! I believe most people can do it if they really want to. Get out there and do it!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I turned into a runner kind of late (43 ish)... in the last year and a half I have ran eight 5-k's and feel great!
    Lost about 25 pounds. Love it and hope to keep moving.
  • nik_nak_1983
    Options
    I am a non-runner, but followed the C25K app for a while, and almost finished it. Even though, I didn't finish it, I was able to run maybe 3 miles. I have a difficult time running because it's really hard on my knees and hips. I bought special running shoes with the opinions of multiple professionals and still had issues with the impact on my lower body. Needless to say, I found that running isn't for me, although I enjoyed it. I have taken up biking and Zumba and walking instead of running. I wish I could run, just too hard on me.

I had this exact issue! I took up running fell in love with it but I inflamed my sacrum so I have switched swimming and fast paced walking with the hope to return to running. It does get more enjoyable I promise!!!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Funny to run across this topic this morning - I'm going out for C25K Week 1 Day 1 in about 40 minutes! So I guess I'm a non-runner at the moment but I've always had this weird longing to be a runner. I always believed (and was told by doctors) that with my familial joint history, and my then-weight, that running was a bad idea, but I have had the desire to become a runner for a long, long time. And this morning it starts!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    OP all runners start off as non-runners at some point in their lives. The absolute hardest is the beginning when you're getting started. I only started running in January of last year. I've since completed a full marathon and am currently training for another one as well as a 100km ultramarathon.

Here's the link to my running story:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1087618-obese-sedentary-to-marathon-runner

Thanks so much for your link to your story - how inspiring you are!! I just started "running" (not sure I would call it that just yet - lol) this month and am using the C25K app..... I'm still at the "my legs are killing me, and I think my lungs are going to burst" stage - but I want to give it at least the 9 weeks to see if it will get any easier/better. My age (52) and my bad knees don't help my situation, but I refuse to just give up. Thanks again for sharing!!