Non-Runners - did you turn into a runner or quit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I ran the bare minimum to keep my job (1.5mi every 6mos) up until I was 30 and divorced. At that time, I started running with the goal of completing a half marathon. Six months after starting, I ran the half, felt like I failed miserably, and quit for 1.5 years. Started again last January for the right reasons this time and haven't looked back. In my mind I was always a runner, but I lacked the discipline and purpose back then that I have now.
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    I was a non-runner who pounded away on a treadmill for years just for exercise. It was miserable. I hated it. But I liked how it worked for my body to lose weigh.
    About 4 years after I was habitually running on a treadmill I started running outside and I fell IN LOVE. I never run with music, it's a great way to explore, I love people watching and just letting my brain turn off.
    Now it's something I do because I love it. It's a reward.

That said, some people just never get into it. I take yoga classes, spin, Zumba and a variety of other things periodically, but I can't stick with those consistently like I can running.

You've just got to find what does it for you mentally and don't beat yourself up if you never enjoy running.
  • dynamics517
    Options
    I started at 191 lbs, I'm 5'3". I had tried all my life to lose weight and sorry to be vague but something happened where I decided that I absolutely needed to get in shape.

My first day I pushed myself a bit too hard. I never ran in my life, but I ran 3 miles with a 12:40 pace. By the end, I was on the ground of my living room floor struggling to breathe and move. I was sure I would throw up. Don't do that!

This was one month ago. I'm 166 lbs now, and I've got a 10k race in a week, and my current 10k pace is 9:20, and by the end of my run I feel great!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the body is amazing in what it can accomplish, and how far you can push it if you can get over the pain and suffering mentally. It's ALL in the mind. When it starts getting easier, you got to push yourself so that it becomes hard again. You can definitely do it!!!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'-0" and 187. I am a short and stumpy asthmatic that really likes cupcakes. I just did my first half marathon last week. I started running last year and fell completely in love. It's my ONE time to get away from the kids, get away from the husband, get away from the job, put my headphones in, and just go. I'm not fast...I firmly believe that my frame will never let me have that "runner" build...but I love it. It's therapeutic for me.

And the biggest thing I learned when I did my half last Sunday was that there is no definition of a runner. No one cares. I stepped up to the start line and looked around. There were fat, thin, tall, short, muscular, guys in tutus, girls in tutus, people with camelbaks, people with funny shirts. Everyone motivated each other and it was the one amazing time that I felt I belonged among a group of strangers.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 of 5k runner last night, not sure if that makes me a runner, a non runner or someone in the middle - a bit of a shuffler maybe.

But I love it. The husband has been running since last year, did his first half marathon recently and is doing a marathon in September. He's inspired me to get out there and try again (I tried a few years ago, went too fast and wrecked my knees for a good few months). Not sure how pleased he is about me getting involved in "his thing" although he says he wants to do a 5k with me.

The thing that has surprised me is I always thought it would be my lungs / cardio which would be a problem but its actually my knees and legs, my lungs are fine. Maybe that should be expected at 192 lbs though.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Running hurts. So I bike instead. OP if you are taking your kids to their sports, either indoors or outdoors, I'm thinking there may be a track around somewhere. Try power walk/run on the track while your kids are doing their practice. Stay off the concrete sidewalk and the asphalt. Tracks are softer on your joints. Get your ears plugged in to something that gives you that extra pep, and get out there and get your groove on! :wink:
  • xRay85Rayx
    xRay85Rayx Posts: 369
    Options
    I'm 5'-0" and 187. I am a short and stumpy asthmatic that really likes cupcakes. I just did my first half marathon last week. I started running last year and fell completely in love. It's my ONE time to get away from the kids, get away from the husband, get away from the job, put my headphones in, and just go. I'm not fast...I firmly believe that my frame will never let me have that "runner" build...but I love it. It's therapeutic for me.

And the biggest thing I learned when I did my half last Sunday was that there is no definition of a runner. No one cares. I stepped up to the start line and looked around. There were fat, thin, tall, short, muscular, guys in tutus, girls in tutus, people with camelbaks, people with funny shirts. Everyone motivated each other and it was the one amazing time that I felt I belonged among a group of strangers.

LOL... congrats on completing your first half marathon! I am a beginner runner myself. Have done several 5Ks but am looking to do an 8k race this summer, once I improve my speed/time.
  • lorarte
    lorarte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was 220lbs when I started running at 45 years old. I run several times a week (weather permitting) and do about 5 to 6k at the most. I have grown to love it, some days are just hard work and others I bounce along and really enjoy every step.

It's a great way to leave the world behind and I love the thinking time it gives me. I listen to music or sometimes I just enjoy the sounds of the countryside around me. Either way, I never thought I'd be a runner as I've always loathed it. But after hubby pestered the life out of me to try it, I have to admit I love it.

Through a mix of exercise and diet I've shifted 30lbs plus and am working on the next 50lbs to reach my goal weight.

Hope that helps?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm still running.
    However, been faced with so many things lately that seem to try to stop me.

First.. My knee was messed up, so it was hurting quite a bit.
    Now, my legs seem to have started getting swollen LOL.

-goes to drink more water-

Not going to give up. Nope nope nope nope nope.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a runner. I love being outdoors. I have great uncrowded trails near me. It sounded like heaven. I started a C25K program and enjoyed it, even though it was hard at first, and got to the point where I could run a 5K. I liked the improvements I felt. I liked the way the sluggishness fell away after the first 5 minutes or so and then felt free.

The only thing I didn't like was that my knees hurt. And even as I got lighter, they hurt more and all the time - even when I wasn't running. Then my left one gave out on some stairs one day.

And the doc said she wasn't surprised given the lack of cartilage. Some surgical repair where possible and microfracture to see if there could be a little rebuilding, rehab and a proscription: "no more running".

I miss it. :(