Is Anyone Else Trying the "Hungry Girl Diet" ?

Options

Replies

• StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I just can not believe you are 62, you look amazing!!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning guys!!! i found some great drinks to help lose weight ALL NATURAL!!! ITS AMAZING and you feel like a new person after a week and you have so much more energy! and they give out a free trial !! check it out guys...https://aloha.com/?invite=iKGx1UurNR4

I tried them....they tasted like spam.

4rdPev
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning guys!!! i found some great drinks to help lose weight ALL NATURAL!!! ITS AMAZING and you feel like a new person after a week and you have so much more energy! and they give out a free trial !! check it out guys...https://aloha.com/?invite=iKGx1UurNR4

No. Just No.

You really need to stop posting this all over the forums today or any day. It is against the terms of service.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning guys!!! i found some great drinks to help lose weight ALL NATURAL!!! ITS AMAZING and you feel like a new person after a week and you have so much more energy! and they give out a free trial !! check it out guys...httpsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X+Sheldon+no+entiende.gif
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    While I will admit that I have her books and have watched her show on Cooking Channel, I wouldn't follow her "diet". She relies on sugar-free; fat-free; and basically chemical laden products. The last time I watched her, she was making some type of chocolate mug cake and that's when I realized - everything that went into that "cake" was nothing but chemicals.

Banana-Chemical-Compounds-032486099057.jpg

I saw this picture, and then went and put an egg in a pot to boil.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Some times it is good to go on a temporary "diet" Good to knock out a quick 5-10 lbs. But just as important to keep in mind lifestyle changes are necessary to keep the weight off.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issues with her recipes. Some of them are actually pretty darn good, especially her Parm Tilapia.

But...the issue I do have with her is that she likes to demonize foods and basically preaches only eating fat free food...which is silly because your body needs fat in your diet, and many nutrients need fat to bind to in order for your body to be able to use them.

But...if her diet plan works for people then whatever floats their boat...as long as they are staying healthy.

Ok, I don't know loads about Hungry Girl, but she has a parm tilapia recipe and wants you to eat only fat free food? Am I the only one who's confused?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I work out with weights and/or cardio 3x per week, also spend 1 1/2 hrs walking my 3 German shorthaired pointers a couple of times each week. My job is sedentary, but I consider myself fairly active. The book says to add 200 calories a day if you work out, so I just count my exercise on MFP. I don't have a lot of weight to lose - I'll be thrilled with 10 pounds! So far so good!
    Sooo... If my HRM says I burned 1000+ calories, only add 200 back to eat?
    No no no no... I work out hard when I do. REALLY hard.

Edit: Not here to bash, just don't think it would work well for someone that works out hard, as the body needs fuel to keep going.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    thank you for that..based on what was said i thought i was doing something wrong or dangerous..it's a bit hard to know what is okay and what is not when there are so many people here with differing opinions..
    I love trying out different types of recipes. Some years back, the McDougall Diet was all the rage, which is low fat and vegetarian. I tried it for awhile, found out I was not able to eat however much I wanted and still lose weight, but to this day I love some of the recipes, even though I'm not vegetarian and can't eat soy products.

I like this post! I used to read diet books for fun. Some of my favourite recipes are the curried butternut squash recipe in the digest diet book, and I also like the carb lovers diet. I like to browse through all the meal ideas, and have incorporated one or two into my diet. These two diets seem to use foods that I prefer to eat, line curry, greens, ginger, garlic, hot peppers, eggs and cheese, hummus, beans, lentils, wraps, carbs, etc.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I like her ideas of "bulking" up tasty traditional dishes with low calorie foods. I like her recipes and really love skinnytast.com.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the doubters: she calls herself Hungry Girl because traditional "diets" left her hungry, so she started making lower cal recipes of her favorite foods that still fill her up. It's not because you are hungry on it
    Doubters?

The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat.
    AKA a diet.
    I think you are missing my point. To me, a "diet" in the way I use it above is food restriction as to the TYPE of foods eaten, and it's my understanding of her "diet" is low sugar and low fat. You don't have to restrict TYPE of foods to lose weight or to maintain, you just eat less of it/

We are all on a diet in the general sense of diet being the foods we choose toeat.
    and we are on a diet whether we follow the advice of someone else in terms of how to reduce calories or we decide how ourselves.

We are on a diet whether we restrict calories or not according to the definition of diet.
    we sure are.

You use the word diet as you like, but as I have stated, to many others and myself it means something else. So that's all really there is to it.....
    I'm not arguing that point in the slightest. I am merely reminding folks that whether you're doing "IIFYM" or the Dash Diet or anything else: if you're consciously limiting something, be it calories, fat, carbs, or whatever, with the goal of losing weight, you're on a diet. Count calories or count carbs or whatever. It's a diet.
    My question why you need to "remind folks" of anything at all?
    quite simply because the post I was replying to seemed to suggest (as often happens here) that calorie counting (and weighing, measuring etc.) isn't a diet.
    Oh brother, so black and white. People in general restrict calories if they don't want to gain weight, even if it's unconscious. Think of the people who don't gain weight, or those who want to lose a few pounds, and they don't count calorie just cut back a bit. They don't have magic bodies, they simply intuitively know how much they can eat to maintain or lose those few pounds.

Losing weight and keeping it off is much more than counting calories, etc and throwing out dictionary definitions, it's a mindset and changing your relationship with food. Losing weight is NOT grabbing the next fad that comes along for the quick fix. I realize this is not true for everyone, but it it for me.
    it's a diet. New or old. Whys that a bad thing?
    Sabine,

No good or bad is involved here, and neither is there any right or wrong. Not everybody sees things the way that you do, and that's okay. I don't profess my perception of what a diet is or is not is right or wrong, just that it is what works for me.
    Actually, I refer you to your first post "The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat. " Perhaps a formal diet (as opposed to a diet you create) *may* be necessary for some and IS useful to some. cheers and best of luck with YOUR personal journey.
    And I stand by my words. The best of luck to you as well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    She once advised viewers to buy deli cole slaw and rinse off the dressing. She also uses a TON of fat free and "light" products which I find unsatisfactory in taste.

I will lose .5 pounds a week eating the real thing.
    Yep.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I bought her book for my daughter and liked it so much I got one for myself. The banana bread is good, also the diet soda cake, my daughter served the"Swapcorn Shrimp" at a party it was delicious and I usually don't care for shrimp. That being said, it is just like everything else, use what works for you and ignore the rest
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issues with her recipes. Some of them are actually pretty darn good, especially her Parm Tilapia.

But...the issue I do have with her is that she likes to demonize foods and basically preaches only eating fat free food...which is silly because your body needs fat in your diet, and many nutrients need fat to bind to in order for your body to be able to use them.

But...if her diet plan works for people then whatever floats their boat...as long as they are staying healthy.

Fat free? Oh no. Just. No.

2s5xpgm.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the doubters: she calls herself Hungry Girl because traditional "diets" left her hungry, so she started making lower cal recipes of her favorite foods that still fill her up. It's not because you are hungry on it
    Doubters?

The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat.
    AKA a diet.
    I think you are missing my point. To me, a "diet" in the way I use it above is food restriction as to the TYPE of foods eaten, and it's my understanding of her "diet" is low sugar and low fat. You don't have to restrict TYPE of foods to lose weight or to maintain, you just eat less of it/

We are all on a diet in the general sense of diet being the foods we choose toeat.
    and we are on a diet whether we follow the advice of someone else in terms of how to reduce calories or we decide how ourselves.

We are on a diet whether we restrict calories or not according to the definition of diet.
    we sure are.

You use the word diet as you like, but as I have stated, to many others and myself it means something else. So that's all really there is to it.....
    I'm not arguing that point in the slightest. I am merely reminding folks that whether you're doing "IIFYM" or the Dash Diet or anything else: if you're consciously limiting something, be it calories, fat, carbs, or whatever, with the goal of losing weight, you're on a diet. Count calories or count carbs or whatever. It's a diet.
    My question why you need to "remind folks" of anything at all?
    quite simply because the post I was replying to seemed to suggest (as often happens here) that calorie counting (and weighing, measuring etc.) isn't a diet.
    Oh brother, so black and white. People in general restrict calories if they don't want to gain weight, even if it's unconscious. Think of the people who don't gain weight, or those who want to lose a few pounds, and they don't count calorie just cut back a bit. They don't have magic bodies, they simply intuitively know how much they can eat to maintain or lose those few pounds.

Losing weight and keeping it off is much more than counting calories, etc and throwing out dictionary definitions, it's a mindset and changing your relationship with food. Losing weight is NOT grabbing the next fad that comes along for the quick fix. I realize this is not true for everyone, but it it for me.
    it's a diet. New or old. Whys that a bad thing?
    Sabine,

No good or bad is involved here, and neither is there any right or wrong. Not everybody sees things the way that you do, and that's okay. I don't profess my perception of what a diet is or is not is right or wrong, just that it is what works for me.
    Actually, I refer you to your first post "The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat. " Perhaps a formal diet (as opposed to a diet you create) *may* be necessary for some and IS useful to some. cheers and best of luck with YOUR personal journey.

Wow, how nasty and condescending are YOU !! It seems to me that you're just looking for an argument here. Did you not get enough attention as a child or something ?!
    Actually, neither nasty or condescending. Review the thread. Someone posts, excited to try something and you tell them, essentially, that they're doing it wrong. I disagreed with you. And here we are a day later, with you calling me nasty. cheers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Fat free? Oh no. Just. No.

2s5xpgm.jpg
    I'm not a big fan of "low fat" either...primarily because most things made low fat have so much added sugar and other stuff we don't really need. I glanced at the site, and didn't see much "demonizing", but she does encourage a pretty low fat approach. Not something I could personally do.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I like her free newsletters because she highlights new products.
  • lazydaisy88
    lazydaisy88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just can not believe you are 62, you look amazing!!
    [/quote

I agree! :happy:
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    I definitely want to try her meal plan. I'm trying to figure out how to make healthier versions of my favorites so that weight loss can be more natural.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Any diet with the word "hungry" in it is not for me. No thanks.