binged really bad.

Options

Replies

• ohheyyitsrenee
    ohheyyitsrenee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, I didn't gain any weight from last night and I knew that if i did it would be water weight. Don't tell me what's a binge and what's not a binge. We all see food in different ways. If I want to call it a binge then I will.
    Yeah I didn't even attempt to log it either!
    Funny thing is, i woke up and was like wow my stomach is so flat that I was like hm.. let's just see the damage and i was shocked to see 15 pounds of water weight! I'm just going to drink a lot of water and do some extra cardio today after work!

But hey great minds think alike when it comes to binging on peanut butter :p

good luck to you as well!

Maybe 3-5 of that was water weight, but that leaves about 10 more "gained" pounds to be accounted for. Do you realize that it takes about 3500 calories ingested to gain ONE pound of weight. That means you would have had to ingested roughly 35,000 calories to be able to "gain" that extra 10 pounds, once you've accounted for possible water weight? Either it's BS or your scale is broken. Also, scales are not 100% fool proof anyway... Scales DO lie.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, I didn't gain any weight from last night and I knew that if i did it would be water weight.

Funny thing is, i woke up and was like wow my stomach is so flat that I was like hm.. let's just see the damage and i was shocked to see 15 pounds of water weight! I'm just going to drink a lot of water and do some extra cardio today after work!

Maybe 3-5 of that was water weight, but that leaves about 10 more "gained" pounds to be accounted for. Do you realize that it takes about 3500 calories ingested to gain ONE pound of weight. That means you would have had to ingested roughly 35,000 calories to be able to "gain" that extra 10 pounds, once you've accounted for possible water weight? Either it's BS or your scale is broken. Also, scales are not 100% fool proof anyway... Scales DO lie.

I'm not trying to be rude, I promise. I'm just saying it's near impossible to gain 15 pounds in one night... much less possible to gain 15 pounds of water weight in one night. My guess is that your scale is all jacked up.
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    It was wrong. I only gained a pound of water weight. But that was after I was able to check the scale again after I came home from work.
    I'm aware that it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, I didn't gain any weight from last night and I knew that if i did it would be water weight.

I'm not trying to be rude, I promise. I'm just saying it's near impossible to gain 15 pounds in one night... much less possible to gain 15 pounds of water weight in one night. My guess is that your scale is all jacked up.
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
    Hey honey,
    You are young and have issues with eating. We are faced with all these ads and good advice and being told what is good for us, what is bad for us, what we should do, what we shouldn't do. What is healthy, what is unhealthy - this makes it hard to know what is best for us. I don't know if you have seen a doctor or a dietician but it sounds like you are getting back on track. I wish you all the best in your endeavour to enjoy and appreciate food. And of course your life! Take care,
    Jayne
  • Meerpka
    Meerpka Posts: 20
    Options
    Nobody is being rude here, I am trying to tell you that there is something wrong with your scale ...

Please take your rude comments somewhere else thank you.
    Hahahahaha, first off "binged really bad" isn't 1/4 of peanut butter..and second, let me get up after I fell laughing, you CAN NOT gain 15 lbs water overnight UNLESS you have heart disease, where patients can gain even 20...
    geesh!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

It was wrong. I only gained a pound of water weight. But that was after I was able to check the scale again after I came home from work.

Good. With that said, you can take control of this! It's not as hard as it seems. :)
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    Yes, It was a wrong and also yes to me eating that much peanut butter is a "really bad binge". We all see food differently and if I want to call that a binge than I will.
    Nobody is being rude here, I am trying to tell you that there is something wrong with your scale ...

Please take your rude comments somewhere else thank you.
    Hahahahaha, first off "binged really bad" isn't 1/4 of peanut butter..and second, let me get up after I fell laughing, you CAN NOT gain 15 lbs water overnight UNLESS you have heart disease, where patients can gain even 20...
    geesh!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I am a young girl, but I don't need to be treated like a child. I posted this in regards of help, and motivation because I was very upset last night.

sweetie, you're acting like a child. in the real world where grown ups reside, you're typically treated how you act. 665 calories in one sitting is not a binge, no matter how you look at it. what you need is a little perspective.
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    No. You're wrong. I don't need you telling me what's a binge and what is not a binge. We all see food in different ways and I will consider that a binge regardless of what you think. Those "665" calories were eaten above my calorie intake for the day which to me will be a binge or a cheat. I've had meals that are 700 calories alone BUT they were in my calorie intake for the day, there for it was not binge, it was simply a MEAL. So i'm asking you nicely, to please take your comments some where else, because I don't need people like you telling me my thought process is wrong. In the "real world", everyone is different, everyone thinks differently and not everyone will agree with the way you think.
    Maybe it's because I am a young girl, but I don't need to be treated like a child. I posted this in regards of help, and motivation because I was very upset last night.

sweetie, you're acting like a child. in the real world where grown ups reside, you're typically treated how you act. 665 calories in one sitting is not a binge, no matter how you look at it. what you need is a little perspective.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

A binge is eating and feeling out of control or unable to stop. It doesn't necessarily require a certain calorie threshold. 665 calories could be a binge for someone. It depends on their state of mind when they ate those calories. For me personally, 665 calories is just my breakfast. But my experience is not everyone's experience.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    How big is a jar?

excellent question! :D

That's what I was wondering - this little binge won't kill your progress - log it and get over it, tomorrow is another day :flowerforyou:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    No. You're wrong. I don't need you telling me what's a binge and what is not a binge. We all see food in different ways and I will consider that a binge regardless of what you think. Those "665" calories were eaten above my calorie intake for the day which to me will be a binge or a cheat. I've had meals that are 700 calories alone BUT they were in my calorie intake for the day, there for it was not binge, it was simply a MEAL. So i'm asking you nicely, to please take your comments some where else, because I don't need people like you telling me my thought process is wrong. In the "real world", everyone is different, everyone thinks differently and not everyone will agree with the way you think.

Remember that your calorie goal is set at a deficit, these calories probably didn't even bring you to what you would eat on maintenance, you are okay. Move on.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Worry not we all do this sometimes and the bloat is temporary, your body sometimes just needs a break from the restriction, I've done this with peanut butter before it's very easy and don't worry it's just a slip (I think people are getting defensive about the term binge as it's a chronic eating disorder and are upset you're calling a one off overeating sesh a binge). But to not develop this into disordered eating whatever you do don't over restrict today to make up for it, just carry on as normal, otherwise you may crack again and get into a restrict binge cycle xxx

Yeah I see that people get defensive and to be honest It made me a little upset because what people don't know is that I do have disordered eating and I do have an eating disorder and I am my third month of recovery. So me calling it a binge is acceptable and me freaking out about it is very acceptable. Coming from a girl who used to only eat 900 calories a day and is now eating 1500, of course I will freak out when I eat way over that. But like you said, It's normal and not to worry about. So I won't!

Recovery is hard. I've been about a year and a month into recovery, and I still struggle. But the good news: it DOES get easier. Most days, I didn't eat over 500 calories. Then I would binge all weekend. I was severely underweight. But guess what: recovery is so worth it. Give up the scale. Don't weigh until a month from now. I know it sounds hard. Don't let the numbers dictate you, let your body get what it needs. More calories is a very hard concept when a disorder has taught you that less is better, but you are not your disorder and more calories=a nice, healthy recovery
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Also, I noticed you keep saying "I'll call it a binge if I want to!" But can we just take a sec to remember that a binge is usually an out of control experience? You are literally on autopilot at times during a binge.

Could it be that, perhaps, you ate simply because you were hungry? Maybe your body NEEDS those calories to recover...

Why call it a binge at all? You ate, that's it. It's a tough way to think because it seems like a lot, but whether you binge 500 or 5,000, you don't have to stew over it. The word "binge" is a bit triggering to me still, so if anything, I just say "oh well, I are more than I feel I needed to" or something along those lines. The sentence you keep saying makes it seem as if you want the people of MFP to shame you or something. If you felt like you lost control I'm sorry, but coming from people who may have eaten a whole jar of pb in one day (speaking about myself in particular because yes, it happened) your binge doesn't seem a though it did too much damage.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    yeah it is a binge because i'm a small girl who only eats about 1500 a day, so eating about 7 servings of peanut butter is about 1260 more calories then normal. i gained 15 pounds of water weight over night.

Am I reading that correctly, fifteen pounds of water weight??
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    First binge in a while also :-(
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    But it wasn't out of hunger though.. i couldn't stop eating it. What made me upset was I built up such a control with food that I only ate what I had planned to eat for the day. That to me was losing control, opening up the jar and digging in for more. That's why it is a binge to me. Recovery is hard and I struggle every day with it. It did damage to my mind and my thoughts. I'm not asking for people to shame me for calling it a binge. I'm asking for people to stop telling that my thoughts are wrong. I have messed up thoughts due to my eating disorder.
    Also, I noticed you keep saying "I'll call it a binge if I want to!" But can we just take a sec to remember that a binge is usually an out of control experience? You are literally on autopilot at times during a binge.

Could it be that, perhaps, you ate simply because you were hungry? Maybe your body NEEDS those calories to recover...

Why call it a binge at all? You ate, that's it. It's a tough way to think because it seems like a lot, but whether you binge 500 or 5,000, you don't have to stew over it. The word "binge" is a bit triggering to me still, so if anything, I just say "oh well, I are more than I feel I needed to" or something along those lines. The sentence you keep saying makes it seem as if you want the people of MFP to shame you or something. If you felt like you lost control I'm sorry, but coming from people who may have eaten a whole jar of pb in one day (speaking about myself in particular because yes, it happened) your binge doesn't seem a though it did too much damage.
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    My scale was wrong!
    yeah it is a binge because i'm a small girl who only eats about 1500 a day, so eating about 7 servings of peanut butter is about 1260 more calories then normal. i gained 15 pounds of water weight over night.

Am I reading that correctly, fifteen pounds of water weight??
  • ohheyyitsrenee
    Options
    I completely agree with you, I have breakfasts that are 700 calories alone! But in my mind and my thoughts, I saw it as a binge because I could not stop eating that peanut butter, the only reason why I did was because I finished what was left of the jar. Because it was eaten after I had eaten all my calories for the day, and was eaten as an extra, to me it was a loss of control that I couldn't tell myself not to eat it and that I couldn't tell myself that I wasn't hungry.

A binge is eating and feeling out of control or unable to stop. It doesn't necessarily require a certain calorie threshold. 665 calories could be a binge for someone. It depends on their state of mind when they ate those calories. For me personally, 665 calories is just my breakfast. But my experience is not everyone's experience.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Why don't you portion it out instead of eat it straight from the jar? JIF makes to-go cups which are 250 calories and you don't even have to bother portioning it.