I eat 51 bananas a day!

Options

Replies

• Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have ONE banana a day for my mid morning snack, but thinking of 51 a day?? Oh, I don't think I can even eat my one now....
  • N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    174823_407731779347024_786153167_n.jpg

This ^
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    wait, let me get this straight... a woman lives on nothing but bananas and the main comment some people are making is that it'd be impossible for her to lose weight because of all the sugar.....?

:noway:

.........the total lack of several key nutrients including some essential amino acids doesn't strike some people as problematic?
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You know what's scary? My boyfriend's daughter follow's this banana girl religiously. Personally speaking, I think everyone should be eating a well balanced meal. Even vegans don't live on just fruits.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people who do this type of thing and quite frankly I think it's ridiculous. The human body is meant to process only up to 2 servings of fruit/day...not LIVE on only fruit. I can wrap my head around being raw vegan...I did it for a while and felt great...but I ate lots of veggies and nuts, coconut, etc so I got my protein and fats. People who follow this will say you get plenty of fat and protein from just fruit...serioiusly?
    You should check out the rest of the internet...there are entire message boards with people who did this and had serious health issues. This girl and her boyfriend apparently harrass anyone who stands up to them. It totally boggles my mind.
  • ndrec
    ndrec Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    .........the total lack of several key nutrients including some essential amino acids doesn't strike some people as problematic?

+1
    and fats too. I wonder if she still has her period...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yep...

She works out a *kitten* ton... she just doesn't do a ton of sh!tting.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    There are a lot worse things she could be eating. It's bit too extreme for my liking, but she looks good and obviously feels good.
  • osorio0203
    osorio0203 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found this guy who does the same thing with bananas. Here is the link.
    http://jeffsanders.com/how-to-eat-30-bananas-a-day/
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that people do and manage to survive on the internet. Doesn't make them good ideas.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    wait, let me get this straight... a woman lives on nothing but bananas and the main comment some people are making is that it'd be impossible for her to lose weight because of all the sugar.....?

:noway:

She doesn't live off bananas. She is famous because she often does "cleanses" when she will mono meal on bananas for weeks at a time. Although most of the time she eat a variety of fruits and veggies.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oooh... did you guys see the "temporary" belly bloat she experiences after each smoothie?

She looks like she swallowed a watermelon whole. But then her stomach is totally flat the rest of the day...

How long do you think she spends in the bathroom to move that food-baby?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people who do this type of thing and quite frankly I think it's ridiculous. The human body is meant to process only up to 2 servings of fruit/day...not LIVE on only fruit. I can wrap my head around being raw vegan...I did it for a while and felt great...but I ate lots of veggies and nuts, coconut, etc so I got my protein and fats. People who follow this will say you get plenty of fat and protein from just fruit...serioiusly?
    You should check out the rest of the internet...there are entire message boards with people who did this and had serious health issues. This girl and her boyfriend apparently harrass anyone who stands up to them. It totally boggles my mind.

I would like to see evidence that the body is only meant to process 2 servings of fruit a day. Because if that's true I guess I'm a mutant.
  • TamaBrett
    TamaBrett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've watched some of her videos and read her blog and there's another Australian, a guy, who is very similar. They don't eat just bananas but other fruit as well.

I can't see how this can possibly be healthy. People that juice or cleanse on fruit often have a very healthy glow to their skin and they have a lot of energy but health means a lot more than that.

Thirty bananas a day gives you only 40 grams of protein. It has a bad protein profile having only 25% of tyrosine meaning you are really only getting 10 grams of protein. Then there is a complete lack of vitamin B12, low levels of vitamin E and K, and calcium.

Some people might think this is rude but considering she makes a big show of her body as evidence of how fit and healthy she is. I'm sure she has breast implants, there is no way she could have such large breasts with that low body fat. They also seem bigger than when she was "fat". Her diet didn't really give her the body she wanted, she had to augment it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of misinformation about this girl. People love to discredit fruitarians by characterizing them as people who "only eat fruit", but that's just not the case. Greens are a HUGE part of a fruitarian diet. Seeds and nuts are also included, but not in any large quantity. And i've seen Freelee vids where she makes cooked veggie soup, with all sorts of fresh veggies. It's not an all banana diet!

The other thing people love to say is that fruitarians are likely to develop some kind of deficiency. Fruits and green leafy vegetables are the most nutrient dense foods! It's the people eating processed food and large amounts of animal products that develop nutrient deficiencies. Those are the foods with little micro-nutrient content.

Dr. Fuhrman's nutrient density chart.
    nutrient_density_chart-12.jpg

And about the massive amount of calories eaten, there are two things that make it not a big deal. One, there are massive amounts of calories used in her exercise program. The other is efficiency/metabolism. Your body becomes less efficient on a low fat diet. You use more calories after a high carb meal. Abiout 16% more.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of misinformation about this girl. People love to discredit fruitarians by characterizing them as people who "only eat fruit", but that's just not the case. Greens are a HUGE part of a fruitarian diet. Seeds and nuts are also included, but not in any large quantity. And i've seen Freelee vids where she makes cooked veggie soup, with all sorts of fresh veggies. It's not an all banana diet!

The other thing people love to say is that fruitarians are likely to develop some kind of deficiency. Fruits and green leafy vegetables are the most nutrient dense foods! It's the people eating processed food and large amounts of animal products that develop nutrient deficiencies. Those are the foods with little micro-nutrient content.

And about the massive amount of calories eaten, there are two things that make it not a big deal. One, there are massive amounts of calories used in her exercise program. The other is efficiency/metabolism. Your body becomes less efficient on a low fat diet. You use more calories after a high carb meal. Abiout 16% more.

According to Freelee, she eats 97% fruit, about 2% greens and 1% nuts/seeds. 2% greens hardly seems like it's a "huge" part of her diet.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My thing with 51 bananas in a day is the extra potassium she is consuming and forcing her body to excrete. Prolonged elevated levels of potassium are just as dangerous as low levels ...... I know plenty of people who are raw vegans and they have to be very careful about getting the right nutrients.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    According to Freelee, she eats 97% fruit, about 2% greens and 1% nuts/seeds. 2% greens hardly seems like it's a "huge" part of her diet.
    I think it's 2% based on calories, but who knows for sure. I haven't watched one of her vids in a long time. And i'm no expert on her diet, but the book that she loosely based her diet off of (80/10/10 Diet) says that you should eat about 1 head of romaine a day. (or the equivalent amount of some other green) It's a small amount of your daily calories, but it's a large amount of volume.

Many in the raw and vegan communities agree that her diet is not ideal, and that her and her BF Harley kind of do their own thing.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

he conveniently left off liver, also a banana sits pretty low on this list, as do most fruits other than berries.

Total agreement that an unbalanced diet with mostly meat can lead to nutrient defficiencies faster than plant based diets where someone is eating varieties of whole food.