How often do you weigh yourself

Options
13»

Replies

• Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lyle just had a nice write-up and video about this very issue. Worth a read/listen.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-bmi-and-weighing-frequency.html#more-9302
  • Opera255
    Opera255 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I like knowing if my weight has increased or decreased on a daily basis. I feel like it helps me to identify things that are not working for me.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily to monitor fluctuations daily and see if there is an overall increase as the week goes on. I only record my weight once a week, however. I find this helpful.
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every. Damn. Day.

Because I'm neurotic, and because I like monitoring what's happening, whether it's up or down, and I can make adjustments if it's not moving in the direction it ought.

THIS
  • farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Generally not much, seeing as we don't currently own a scale. Maybe twice a month, something like that. This sunday is weigh-day for me /nervous
    I weigh myself daily. A couple of weeks ago I got a Fitbit Aria scale, and I use the site trendweight.com which links with the Fitbit scale and shows you the trend so the fluctuations aren't as bothersome. I like data. I like knowing that I have a pattern of sticking around a certain weight for a while and then dropping a few pounds in one day.

I WANT THIS SCALE. Do you recommend it? Is it really worth the price?
  • katieannebrown
    katieannebrown Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Its only counterproductive if you let the little, very normal fluctuations upset you and sabotage you.

^ I agree with this. Weighing yourself daily is simply tracking data. It's what you do with the data that can be counter productive. I weigh myself daily, and have for years. I have also lost over 100 pounds and kept it off for several years. I do not get upset by normal fluctuations or beat myself up about it. Instead, keeping a food/exercise diary and daily weight tracking helps me keep track of what I am doing and how it affects me, mentally and physically.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do several times a day. It is in my bathroom and can't resist jumping on it. I like to see how my body fluctuates through out the day. It is just a number and small part of the equation.
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I prefer weekly. Tuesday is my weigh-in day. I look forward to my Tuesday's and don't have to be bothered by the fluctuations. It works for me. I have a couple of trips coming up this summer that will force me to skip and week and then skip 2 weeks during weigh-ins. It will be during the 2 week break that I expect to hit my first major goal.
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Everyday first thing in morning after using bathroom and naked. Not sure if it helps or hurts but I like to see it, gain or loss. And if I go to the doctor and have to be weighed I ignore the number. I only trust my method.
  • bumble573
    bumble573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly on a Tuesday. Started my diet on a Tuesday, so its gone from there really. :)
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Every monday.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The scale is a great tool but your weight can change day to day and even hour to hour. The best time to weight yourself is after you wake up in the morning before you eat or drink anything. I used to drive myself nutty going on the scale too much too in the beginning. Some factors you must consider before bugging out if the scale shows your weight going up even though your sticking to your diet.

Factors for the scale showing your weight going up and your eating properly

1) If you ate too much salt with your food , next day your weight will probably jump up.

2) If you did a workout that was much more intense then usual , some people will hold water because of inflame muscle.

3) You did not go to the bathroom for 2-3 to do poop . Your body can hold up to 8 pounds of poop , so make sure to increase your fiber so you go at least once a day.

Its best not to bug out if your weight jumps up. Track it daily but focus on the weekly result. Resist the temptation to ajust your diet everytime to scale moves up or down. That can drive you nuts and to the point where you eat too little just because the scale moved up a little. I personally have seen my weight jump up to 3-5 pound in a 24 hour span. Relax and just stay focused on your goal , you can and will reach it.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of going back to daily weigh ins myself. When I only check in once a week, my weight might be up for various reasons that have nothing to do with my caloric intake. I'd rather see the day to day trend to see that I am losing instead of just one number for the week.
  • LesleyL30
    LesleyL30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to weigh myself daily. It has gotten me to knowing my body and what to expect certain times of the month for sure so I am not upset or let down by a few pounds gain out of the blue. Plus I feel like its helped me hold myself more accountable. There are days where I will eat one thing I know I shouldn't and when I weigh in the morning, it reiterates that, yeah I shouldn't have had that one margarita or whatever. Also I know when I get to a few days in the same spot I push myself harder in my workout that day and it usually pushed me over that hump.
    I think it all depends on the person quite honestly, but I need to weigh daily.
  • vatances
    vatances Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Once in the morning, and once at night so I can prepare myself for the next morning.

I usually weigh 2 lbs more at night. I like to get an idea of what my body responds to each day.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Once a week, every friday. But after reading everyones responses, I might just start weighing myself every day...