Running - am I only one who struggles ridiculously?

Options
I have wanted to run a 5k for 10 years. I have tried many methods - couch to 5k programs, overdoing it, etc. I have now started running 1 mile. It's at an embarrassing pace on my treadmill that no one else can see.... But it's still a great achievement for me.

I'm a reasonable weight and age, I don't know why I struggle so much! I cannot stay motivated or energized. Anyone out there going through the same thing?

Replies

• Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just don't enjoy running. I LOVE to work out, and I HATE to run. Try something else?
  • GotShellica
    GotShellica Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I loathe running. Tried to take it up for years.

Finally gave up and took up interval training instead (which I LOVE). Instead of running straight races, I do mud runs and other obstacle races which is way more fun.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I love to run but have to agree maybe it's not for you..

but if you think it is...why not try getting outside and doing it.. the TM is incredibly boring to me
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate running. I have been working out a lot and my cardio level is very good when I work out yet when I run, I still have a mile time that is higher than 10 minutes. You are not alone :/
  • jenandhaiku
    Options
    Good point I guess. I love pushing and challenging myself and mixing up my workouts. But I just can't run. I feel so unfit because of it. :(
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I, too, struggle to run. As a matter of fact I have yet to be able to run a mile straight.
    I keep pushing on though. Not because I enjoy running but because I enjoy eating.
    Keep on keeping on, right?!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I love running but I SUCK at it. Seriously, if I can go over 5mph, I'm happy. But I keep going because I do enjoy the "me" time.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running distances up to about 10 miles. I run marathons, but do not enjoy running that far. I like the crowds, but not running for over 4 hours.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I can't run for more than 5 minutes on a treadmill.... but me outside and I am good though. I like running. I am slow as a turtle. But I enjoy it.

But it isn't for everyone. Personally I HATE yoga and home workout videos. But a lot of people swear by each. Different strokes, different people
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm really slow too. Once I started running vs. a run/walk- I was doing a 15 (something) minute pace. I've been doing a program through Fleet Fleet & cycled through the beginner's program multiple times. I'm now at a 13ish min mile pace which is still slow (but faster for me). My goal eventually is to be in at 12ish min mile. How many times per week are you running? For me I find it's best endurance-wise if I'm out there 4 times a week running.
    Don't worry about what other people may think with your pace & distance- it's YOUR accomplishment. Make a goal for yourself and don't worry about others.
    Also, I agree with the post re: running outside vs. the treadmill. I'm not sure how the weather is where you are, but yes, it is much more enjoyable outside.
  • rompydompy
    rompydompy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    nope, you're def not the only one. It was a huge accomplishment to me just to complete a mile without walking in 12 minutes.. and it took a long time for me to be able to do it. If you're doing it solely for the good workout, try keeping it to one or two runs a week, giving your body a chance to catch up to your mental state. I think if you get a chance to recharge your batteries, you might do better twice a week than you would 7 days a week, and those results might drive you to run more, and be happier doing it. Good luck!
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I love to run, but I know a lot of people who hate it, and I always tell them - don't do it if you don't like it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with you if you don't like running because there are a ton of other exercises out there to help you get fit. Not being a runner doesn't make you an unfit person. I consider myself in shape and can run long distances, but I get on a bike and I feel like I can barely go a quarter mile without feeling sore and out of breath. :flowerforyou:
  • essbe
    essbe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't run for more than 5 minutes on a treadmill.... put me outside and I am good though. I like running. I am slow as a turtle. But I enjoy it.

But it isn't for everyone. Personally I HATE yoga and home workout videos. But a lot of people swear by each. Different strokes, different people

This.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wish I could Run - due to surgery last year on both legs unable too! Keep pickin' away at your goals you will achieve them!

Never give up :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you really want to run, try using the Zombies! Run! app. It makes the run fun, since you are 'doing something' AND getting chased by zombies. :)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I love to run, but I know a lot of people who hate it, and I always tell them - don't do it if you don't like it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with you if you don't like running because there are a ton of other exercises out there to help you get fit. Not being a runner doesn't make you an unfit person. I consider myself in shape and can run long distances, but I get on a bike and I feel like I can barely go a quarter mile without feeling sore and out of breath. :flowerforyou:

that's me!!!
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am winded after just a few minutes of running, yet I can do other kinds of cardio no problem. I think I just hate doing the same motion over and over for a long period of time. In kickboxing, dancing, or even just general aerobic workouts, there is more variety so it takes my mind off of being tired.

I tried to get into running but I just hated it so much. No big deal, I have been successful without it :) I do love long walks, though.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I really want to love it, and can see why people do love it but arghhh, I suck at it. Doesn't help that I need to lose like 50kgs I guess. I Have been doing the couch to 5k program for what feels like ever because I have to repeat pretty much every week. However, I find that trail running is more my style. I spend so much time watching where I am going and trying to not break an ankle that before I know it I am actually kind of enjoying it.

Maybe try mixing it up a bit?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner in high school. Middle distance. Loved it.

Today I'm 52 and I tried to run half a mile on a treadmill and could barely do that. I can walk at 4.2 mph for 40 minutes but running...it just ain't happening. I have venous insufficiency so that's probably part of the problem and the doctor says no more running. Still, I feel like such a wimp that I can't just crank up the TM to even 5 mph and jog a short distance.

Don't feel bad. You don't have to run. I've found I can get a great cardio in by boosting the incline to 8-12 and going at least 4 mph. Or I'll get on the elliptical or arc trainer and go fast and hard for 30 minutes. At least I find success in those methods and isn't that really what it's all about? Do what works and what you enjoy doing :smile:
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This post makes me feel so much better about my running (in)ability! As another poster mentioned, you might have more luck running outside or you could try signing up for a race to give you more motivation. If all else fails, find something you enjoy doing!