what's the point in exercising?

Options
They say you should eat back the calories you burn, but would it not be better to not exercise at allamd just stick to 1200 calories? Im confused what's the point of burning calories if you will just eat them back then it was a waste of time??

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Diet/Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = Fitness/Cardiovascular Health

That being said, exercise allows you to eat more, because you need to replenish your body's fuel for the extra work you're putting in. It's not pointless or a waste of time.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, yes you could just eat at a caloric deficit and not exercise.

From a health perspective however...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    nathan-fillion.gif
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Exercise has lots of benefits other than just the calories burned. Cardio improves cardiovascular health. Strength training helps preserve lean body mass (muscle) as you lose weight. Exercise helps you lose inches, even if the scale isn't moving. It also impacts the hormone balance in your body. For example I am a type 2 diabetic, and exercise makes my body more sensitive to insulin.

MFP is set up so that you do not have to exercise to lose weight. Your deficit is built into your calorie goal. However if you exercise you get lots of benefits, eat more food, and still lose weight. What's not to like about that?

The key is starting small and build up your exercise gradually. Also experiment and find something you enjoy doing. Exercise shouldn't be a chore.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Here's the last thread on this subject. You'll get all the same answers again in this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1195961-eating-back-exercise-calories

Here's Trog's take on it

wat?

why? yes. eat them back. netting under 1200 calories per day is ridiculous.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose all that fat and have a hanging skin? Exercise! simple
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising.

The calorie goal that MFP assigns you does not include any exercise, so if you add extra activity to your day and burn more calories, you need to eat them back.

And the point of exercise is fitness. It's good for your cardiovascular system, good for your muscles, good for your bones. It makes you faster, stronger, gives you greater endurance, and makes your body more able to deal with life in general.

You don't HAVE to exercise. But if you do exercise, you should fuel your body appropriately. :smile:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I mean, you realize that you use up calories when you exercise right? You also realize that 1,200 calories really the lowest minimum about of calories one should take in to safely lose weight and maintain body functions properly.

So if you are eating 1,200 without eating workout calories back regularly, you are underfeeding yourself. Unless you are super morbidly obese and being supervised by a doctor.

Also you know, your health. That's usually a good reason to work out.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    GETTIN SWOLE
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    P5AupiT.gif

Yeah! After all, the woman in this video learned the hard way that exercise just isn't worth it!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    nathan-fillion.gif
    while i'm not a firefly fan, i must QFT.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit to look good in smaller clothes. I work out to look good naked.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, part of the reason I started on this weight loss journey is because I felt out of breath while walking up stairs and carrying my back pack etc...

In order to not be out of breath anymore, I have been exercising to improve my cardiovascular health along with weight loss (weighing less helps me be able to move more). I just feel a lot better physically, health wise, and I can now run 3 miles straight without getting out of breath whereas 4 months ago I could barely go up two flights of stairs!
  • roxannemezzapesamulder
    Options
    um....so you can eat more calories.

Of course all the other stuff people said. But for me personally I exercise so I can eat more. Because, well I will be honest, I like food. lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In addition to making you healthier, exercise affects your hormones and makes you feel a lot better and more energetic.

Also, a caloric deficit is for losing weight, but the goal is ultimately to get healthier. Since your body can only lose fat so quickly, too much of a deficit will cause you to lose muscle and other vital tissue and be counterproductive. (And make you feel like crap, and your hair fall out, etc.)
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    In terms of cardiovascular health, it's better to be overweight and in shape than a normal weight and out of shape.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    In addition to making you healthier, exercise affects your hormones and makes you feel a lot better and more energetic.

Also, a caloric deficit is for losing weight, but the goal is ultimately to get healthier. Since your body can only lose fat so quickly, too much of a deficit will cause you to lose muscle and other vital tissue and be counterproductive. (And make you feel like crap, and your hair fall out, etc.)

Exercise has numerous NSV benefits. Regular exercise has been shown to decrease risk of certain diseases like heart disease, stroke, arthritis, some cancers and diabetes, boosts the immune system so you are better able to fight off communicable diseases like colds and flu, stabilize moods, sleep better, increase sexual endurance, enjoyment and ability.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007165.htm
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    Others have covered the majority of reasons and benefits, but also so you don't end up looking like this douche bragging about how much they lost just by eating at a deficit being only concerned with the number on the scale and not your health...

42MgCfY.jpg
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Don't feed em..