what's the point in exercising?

Options

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight without exercise (for various reasons) but honestly I don't like it as much. I don't feel as fit, I've lost weight but still feel kind of untoned. Exercise makes you feel and look good!
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My new motivational piece!
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Exercise is never a pointless waste of time. Think of all the beautiful endorphins that are getting released and making you feel better about yourself! Plus, exercise allows you to be overall more healthy, It improves respiration rates and resting heart rates, it helps you sleep better, it gives you extra calories for wiggle room, it tones up your body so you look good, and it's just plain old fun if you're doing it right.

1200 calories is a bit low if you ask me, but that's just my opinion, do whatever you think is best for you. But no one I know can sustain their body on so much and be able to lose weight easily. I feel it's just a road block because you can get discouraged easier if you overeat.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Others have covered the majority of reasons and benefits, but also so you don't end up looking like this douche bragging about how much they lost just by eating at a deficit being only concerned with the number on the scale and not your health...

42MgCfY.jpg

+1
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    To give your body shape and tone . If you only diet you will lose weight but your body will not look as good because of muscle tissue loss.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Most importantly for me - find an exercise you enjoy and improving at it makes you feel good about yourself!!

Doctors often recommend increased physical activity for people who are mildly depressed - it raises the spirits!!! And I am hoping will stop me looking like a deflated bag!! :laugh:

Move more so you can eat more - makes you happy.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    um....so you can eat more calories.

Of course all the other stuff people said. But for me personally I exercise so I can eat more. Because, well I will be honest, I like food. lol
    This. All of this.
  • LadyHomestar
    LadyHomestar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To help preserve muscle. When you lose weight, you have a chance of losing muscle. Muscle is what makes you burn more calories. Not only that, but exercising makes me feel less depressed and anxious.
  • Katietheroo
    Options
    Exercise builds muscle, the more muscle you have the more calories you will use doing everything else (even sleeping)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    So that as I get older and older and older I will have a healthy heart, some strength in my muscles, and some flexibility in my joints.

I desperately do NOT want to be an elderly person who struggles to perform daily tasks due to loss of muscle and loss of range-of-motion.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    So that as I get older and older and older I will have a healthy heart, some strength in my muscles, and some flexibility in my joints.

I desperately do NOT want to be an elderly person who struggles to perform daily tasks due to loss of muscle and loss of range-of-motion.

This!!!!
  • queenofozfitness
    Options
    um....so you can eat more calories.

Of course all the other stuff people said. But for me personally I exercise so I can eat more. Because, well I will be honest, I like food. lol
    This. All of this.

I LIKE FOOD. FOOD TASTES GOOD.

Okay, I'm done now. But yes, I like to exercise because I LOVE to eat... Simple.
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit to look good in smaller clothes. I work out to look good naked.

FAVORITE QUOTE EVER! :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options

^THIS.

I feel like most of us in our 20s-30s and even 40s feel generally healthy so we're not thinking about old age. Anyone who exercises when they're younger will have an easier time as an elderly person from cooking their own food to wiping their own butt. People who don't exercise generally can get osteoporosis and are invalids a lot younger/faster.
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    Even if you have no interest in losing weight, exercise is good for you. Exercise is good for you. That's all there is to it.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Also, when you're on any kind of calorie restricted diet it can be hard to meet nutritional goals that are based on a set number of grams or milligrams per day, regardless of macro proportions. Exercising and eating your exercise calories makes it easier to get a calorie deficit for weightloss without suffering malnutrition.

I need to get 135 grams of protein and 30+ grams of fiber every day. It's a freakin' struggle to hit those minimums, but particularly when my calorie intake is < 1800 per day. Exercise lets me eat that many calories, get great nutrition, FEEL F'ing FANTASTIC, while still losing 2 pounds a week.

But even more to the point, as many have said exercise is good for you beyond burning calories. Helps maintain healthy LEAN body mass while you lose weight, maintain or improve strength and flexibility, improves cardiovascular stamina, improves blood lipid and cholesterol profiles, and can even somewhat repair insulin sensitivity at a cellular level.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    GETTIN SWOLE

This.

Eat more. :(
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am a fatty at heart, and enjoy getting to eat more without becoming a walrus. Plus, I enjoy the health benefits, and lean mass that come with strength training.
  • twinklemcgee
    twinklemcgee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit to look good in smaller clothes. I work out to look good naked.

This. Also, I run for cake.
  • I exercise to keep type 2 diabetes at bay, for stress release after a hard day at work, to lower my blood pressure, to beat depression, to burn calories and so on. Exercise is never a waste of time for me, it's crucial for my survival.:love: