How much weight did you lose before people noticed?

Options
124»

Replies

• kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think one person has mentioned, but she hadn't seen me for 6 months. I don't know how much is not noticeable (down 40 pounds) and how much of it is people scared to say anything. I was fat in high school and lost a LOT of weight my jr/sr year. I was starving myself and working out 2-3 hours a day. I had just finished the written exam for the pilot test, was flying a lot, and had been accepted in to college with a full ride scholarship, after graduating a year early. And all anybody cared about was my weight. I was mad and let everybody know. So, now, I don't think my family would say anything even if they did notice.
  • CharlottesDK
    Options
    I have lost 10 kg so far. People dont notice it yet. But 12 years ago, I lost 45 kg (about 100 lbs). People I havent seen for a couple of years couldent recognize me. I had to tell them who I was, before they realized it was me. It was a wild feeling but great. I have gained it all an a little bit more. But I want to get to that weight again and Im on my way. :-)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I do think when you are heavier (and taller) it is less noticeable at first.

I was usually around 260-270 for like 15 years and when I got up to 307, of course no one commented on the gain (THANK GOODNESS, it would have upset me and made things worse). It took me a few years to lose the first 45 lb to get to my MFP start weight of 262 lb and almost NO ONE commented. My mom's really the only one who even noticed, as far as I know. I would occasionally tell close friends "I've lost 30 lb and feel a lot better" and they seemed genuinely surprised but didn't seem like they could see the difference at all which was discouraging...so I just didn't mention it.

However when I got on MFP and pretty quickly lost the first 20 lb or so from 262 down to the 240s, everyone in my life commented from friends, acquaintances, family members, to neighbors and cashiers in stores.

It slowed a bit when I got around 200, but now that I'm down another 14 lb I have had a lot of people commenting again recently.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    For some people it was about 30 pounds and for others around 80. Though I have bought and altered clothes to fit all along the way apparently now going from a size 20 dress to an 8, now people can see the weight loss!

Thank goodness I'm doing this for myself :smile:
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Around 25lbs, my boyfriend didn't notice until until I actually gave him figures haha!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Around 25lbs, my boyfriend didn't notice until until I actually gave him figures haha!

Of course I was way way bigger and have lost a lot, but my husband who met me 2 years ago and over 80 lb heavier actually could not see a big difference he said, until he looked at photos from the first few months we were together and then he was kind of freaking out about this HUGE difference and how he hadn't fully realized how dramatic it was. Made me feel good though! I am just really happy he's attracted to me at every weight so far ;-)