Quick way to get the weight going down!!

Options
Hi guy, i know the answer is eating healthy and gym but any other tips please! I';ve hit a wall, i either go back up or back to the wall .

Gym three times a week and i am eathing 1350. Healthier but not 100percent healthy!

I am currently 91.2 kg,i want to get to 89kg ( the stone below bracket) as a short term motivational goal!

Thank you xxx

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food and log it consistently and as accurately as possible.

If you're in a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Time and caloric deficit.
    You can't "quick" anything, or you'll self harm.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you are logging accurately and consistently and you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. You just have to be patient.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? You may be overestimating them, which can stall weight loss. Many people try to eat 50% of their exercise calories back, or they use the TDEE method. Otherwise, lack of weight loss is often in water retention - make sure you're eating your fruits and drinking enough water each day, because it makes a difference.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    People really need to stop telling everyone it's a simple deficit. Yes, for a lot of people, this works; however, there is no need to make people feel stupid or like they must be doing something wrong just because a deficit isn't working for them. It IS more complicated for some people than it is for others. I would weigh a LOT less if a deficit worked for me, but when I eat at TDEE - 15/20%, I get nowhere.

Are you weighing your food? If you're decently healthy and have no conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc.) that would restrict your weight loss, you may be eating more than you think you are. I personally used to eat less than I thought I was, and then wonder why I was constantly hungry and binging at night. I once passed out thinking I'd eaten around 9 oz of chicken all day, when really I'd only had around 2-3. A LOT of people are the opposite, though, so make sure you're counting your calories correctly.

As for the deficit, if it's not working for you, you're not alone. Certain conditions may prevent a deficit from being the only diet-change necessary. I personally have PCOS and have to net significantly under my calorie goal in order to lose weight. I also try to stick to a high-fat, mod-protein, low-carb (and by low, I mean around 30g per meal, not 30g per day) diet. Sometimes, when there are conditions such as these, Macros matter A LOT. PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so carbs and sugars are not my friends.

Good luck losing! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and it's a process figuring out what works for you. Not everyone responds so quickly to a caloric deficit.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    - weigh and measure all your foods! invest in an electronic food scale and always use measuring cups for liquids and measuring spoons etc.

- get a HRM for your exercise to know how many calories you are really burning. You may need to adjust your activity level settings too to adjust your calorie goals

- Figure out your BRM and TDEE - you should subtract 10-20 % from your TDEE for safe/healthy weight loss

- Only weigh yourself once a week or once a month... Take MEASUREMENTS instead so you can see your progress better. You may be losing inches/gaining muscle

- try to have no more than 20% junk food in your diet and 80% healthy foods!

- drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day!
  • Reggie0336
    Options
    I agree with KatyRu nice advise
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? The last time I lost a lot of weight I had more success when I made sure to drink a lot of it. In fact when I first seriously upped my water I lost about eight pounds in about a week, which was pretty much mostly water that my body was hanging on to and boy did that feel good :-) After that of course the loss slowed to more normal but still a fairly consistent rate and I can't tell you how much better it feels to be properly hydrated. You will be amazed.

I am working on ramping up my intake, my goal is to get to at least 100 oz. a day.

Edited because my brain types faster and more accurately than my fingers :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    People really need to stop telling everyone it's a simple deficit. Yes, for a lot of people, this works; however, there is no need to make people feel stupid or like they must be doing something wrong just because a deficit isn't working for them. It IS more complicated for some people than it is for others. I would weigh a LOT less if a deficit worked for me, but when I eat at TDEE - 15/20%, I get nowhere.

Are you weighing your food? If you're decently healthy and have no conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, etc.) that would restrict your weight loss, you may be eating more than you think you are. I personally used to eat less than I thought I was, and then wonder why I was constantly hungry and binging at night. I once passed out thinking I'd eaten around 9 oz of chicken all day, when really I'd only had around 2-3. A LOT of people are the opposite, though, so make sure you're counting your calories correctly.

As for the deficit, if it's not working for you, you're not alone. Certain conditions may prevent a deficit from being the only diet-change necessary. I personally have PCOS and have to net significantly under my calorie goal in order to lose weight. I also try to stick to a high-fat, mod-protein, low-carb (and by low, I mean around 30g per meal, not 30g per day) diet. Sometimes, when there are conditions such as these, Macros matter A LOT. PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so carbs and sugars are not my friends.

Good luck losing! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and it's a process figuring out what works for you. Not everyone responds so quickly to a caloric deficit.
    Eating at a deficit is the one truth about losing weight. Granted that medical problems can impede weight loss, it's pretty darned rare. Your deficit may need to be adjusted but, still, all it takes to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. :smile:

The type of food you eat has nothing to do with losing weight. You can eat twinkies all day while staying at a deficit and you will lose weight. You might not feel very well, but you'd still lose.

Look at my ticker. I've lost 42 pounds the foods I like, and this includes foods that I'd cut out in earlier diets because I had labeled them as "fattening". I have been successfully maintaining.
  • letmerun
    letmerun Posts: 15
    Options
    Drink water like it's your job. Try keto? Eat clean and move/ work out (cardio).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Try keto? Eat clean,,,.
    Superfluous for losing weight.
  • abcdefghijkayla
    abcdefghijkayla Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink water like it's your job. Try keto? Eat clean and move/ work out (cardio).

This is what's working for me!
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Eating at a deficit is the one truth about losing weight. Granted that medical problems can impede weight loss, it's pretty darned rare. Your deficit may need to be adjusted but, still, all it takes to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. :smile:

The type of food you eat has nothing to do with losing weight. You can eat twinkies all day while staying at a deficit and you will lose weight. You might not feel very well, but you'd still lose.

Look at my ticker. I've lost 42 pounds the foods I like, and this includes foods that I'd cut out in earlier diets because I had labeled them as "fattening". I have been successfully maintaining.

This may be true for you, and if it is, congratulations. I gain weight using a "simple" deficit, so I'm happy it's so much easier for you. I also use a HRM to calculate my burns, and don't eat back exercise calories, so it's not an error in calorie calculations. For some, macros DO matter. It's not incredibly rare. In fact, it's estimated by researchers who work with insulin resistance that IR affects around one in four Americans. I'd say 25% is decently common, even if it's not the majority. Congratulations on being in the majority. :) For me, the lower deficit RESULTS in lower carb/sugar intake, which is what ultimately helps me lose weight. The deficit alone doesn't do it for me, or for quite a few others with insulin resistance problems (ie, if I ate 1200 calories in twinkies all day, chances are, I probably wouldn't lose weight).
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Nice. Thank you.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

This is the one that drives me nuts -- it's pretty rare. No, it's not.

35% of the adult US population -- or 79 million --- has prediabetes
    8% -- or 25 million -- has full blow diabetes
    12% of adults will have a thyroid condition some point in their lives
    20 million in US population have some form of thyroid disease (60% of which are undiagnosed)

These are significant numbers -- it means 43+% of the population has a carb/sugar issue with prediabetes/diabetes. 8% has a thyroid disorder, most of which are undiagnosed. Since both lead to weight gain (well, hypothyroid does), there's probably an even higher percentage in the overweight population. That's NOT rare.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree it is as simple as a deficet...simple not easy.

As for medical conditions yes they exist but it doesn't change the deficet calculation it just means you have to be more diligent on your logging and intake etc.

As well my ticker (and a lot of tickers here) eat what we want in smaller portions and lose weight using CICO.

No where do people try and make others feel stupid or that they are doing something wrong because a deficet isn't working for them...truth is they are not working the deficet....
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

As for medical conditions yes they exist but it doesn't change the deficet calculation it just means you have to be more diligent on your logging and intake etc.

As well my ticker (and a lot of tickers here) eat what we want in smaller portions and lose weight using CICO.

No where do people try and make others feel stupid or that they are doing something wrong because a deficet isn't working for them...truth is they are not working the deficet....

That's just not true, Stef. I know you like to think it is to fit your world view, but when you involve incredibly complex processes like abnormal hormonal responses and glucose metabolism, CICO doesn't work the same way because the underlying assumptions are no longer true.

I'm a great example. I was doing EVERYTHING the exact same and saw hardly any weight change (i.e. lost 2.2 lbs over 3 months). Introduce a different diet (low carb) and medication for those abnormal issues and suddenly the EXACT same calories and exercise regime yields significantly higher weight loss -- 6-8 lbs in a month. My calories out didn't change significantly, at least not according to the tests currently available, but the results were what was expected accordingly to CICO once the hormones and glucose metabolism issues were addressed.

Simple math is great as a guideline, but it's not a hard and fast rule. The underlying assumptions have to hold true as well. And when you have medical conditions, they often don't.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    This is the one that drives me nuts -- it's pretty rare. No, it's not.

35% of the adult US population -- or 79 million --- has prediabetes
    8% -- or 25 million -- has full blow diabetes
    12% of adults will have a thyroid condition some point in their lives
    20 million in US population have some form of thyroid disease (60% of which are undiagnosed)

These are significant numbers -- it means 43+% of the population has a carb/sugar issue with prediabetes/diabetes. 8% has a thyroid disorder, most of which are undiagnosed. Since both lead to weight gain (well, hypothyroid does), there's probably an even higher percentage in the overweight population. That's NOT rare.

actually according to http://ndep.nih.gov/diabetes-facts/

•25.8 million Americans have diabetes — 8.3 percent of the U.S. population. Of these, 7 million do not know they have the disease.
    •It is estimated that 79 million adults aged 20 and older have prediabetes. Prediabetes is a condition where blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetes. Studies have shown that by losing weight and increasing physical activity people can prevent or delay prediabetes from progressing to diabetes.

Let me know here the bolded part

And out of the 20million that have some sort of thyroid issue there is also the hyper form which causes weight loss and even the ATA says "More than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime."

That doesn't mean they have it now...

so let us be realistic...it is not as common as you say either...if people with prediabetes lose weight they reduce their chances...and those trying to lose weight probably don't have tyhroid issues atm...

nice scare tactic tho...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I would just read the sexy pants link and ignore the snowflakes
  • SezxyStef
    Options

That's just not true, Stef. I know you like to think it is to fit your world view, but when you involve incredibly complex processes like abnormal hormonal responses and glucose metabolism, CICO doesn't work the same way because the underlying assumptions are no longer true.

I'm a great example. I was doing EVERYTHING the exact same and saw hardly any weight change (i.e. lost 2.2 lbs over 3 months). Introduce a different diet (low carb) and medication for those abnormal issues and suddenly the EXACT same calories and exercise regime yields significantly higher weight loss -- 6-8 lbs in a month. My calories out didn't change significantly, at least not according to the tests currently available, but the results were what was expected accordingly to CICO once the hormones and glucose metabolism issues were addressed.

Simple math is great as a guideline, but it's not a hard and fast rule. The underlying assumptions have to hold true as well. And when you have medical conditions, they often don't.

I am not getting into this debate with you.

It has been proven time and time again CICO...if you are sure of CI then it's on the CO side...and a study of one or two doesn't mean imperical evidence just like me alone doesn't prove CICO but it's more than just me...it is a very large part of the population.

No where do any of us say the medical issues do not cause issues with losing weight but it doesn't mean you can't lose weight it just means you have to be more diligent at it...and there are lots with PCOS, diabetes, thryoid issues that have proven that too.