Gardeners: What produce are you growing this season?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Diverticulitis has affected my gardening. No corn or tomatoes for me. I'm growing:

Eggplane
    Squash, butternut and spaghetti
    Spinach
    Beets
    Lettuce
    Watermelon
    Cucumbers
    Carrots

No corn or tomatoes! That makes me :cry: . I would probably give up gardening all together if I were in your situation (not really but I would be a sad panda).
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Blueberries for the first time ever, jicama, wing beans, celery, papaya, spring onions, fancy lettuces, corn, silverbeet, tomatoes, bell peppers, kale, passionfruit, limes, kaffir limes, mandarines and all sorts of herbs including a tropical version of cilantro/corriander.

I'm in tropical Australia.

Also jelous of your climate. I would LOVE to grow mango! It's my favorite fruit.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    The local green house went out of business so we're looking for a new place but we picked up some Brussel sprout plants. Apparently there used to be a massive asparagus farm out around here when my folks were young but now it's all houses and we're paying at least 2.00 a pound for asparagus. Our land just isn't right for growing it sadly.

Have you tried a raised bed? It's the way my mother grows hers. I've been meaning to get one of my own started but it's always at the bottom of the garden to-do list.
  • ribqah
    ribqah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The google fu is strong with you.

Maybe I'll look into a varietal that can survive here, though I won't hold my breath. What I need is a miniature variety so I could add it to my orchard of two trees, one mini orange and one mini lemon, that make the circuit from indoor to outdoor depending on the season and overnight temps.

What growing zone are you in?
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    The google fu is strong with you.

Maybe I'll look into a varietal that can survive here, though I won't hold my breath. What I need is a miniature variety so I could add it to my orchard of two trees, one mini orange and one mini lemon, that make the circuit from indoor to outdoor depending on the season and overnight temps.

What growing zone are you in?

Zone 4. It can be a pain. Right now we're having sustained 45 mph winds with gusts up to 70. And it's going to freeze tonight and tomorrow night.

Crosses fingers for my broccoli since it's my least protected plant, just an open ended polytunnel.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm also in zone 4 and have just set out lots of onion seedlings that I started inside and have been hardening off. I'm experimenting with potatoes and recently planted several rows on top of cardboard, compost and hay, then covered with hay which I'll add to as the potatoes grow. I'm a little concerned about slugs and hope the kitty will take care of any mice or moles that might be tempted. I just live-trapped a groundhog and relocated it to a spot where it can hopefully eke out a meager existence.....it certainly won't be the bounty it was getting used to here! I really like watching these critters and wish I could figure out a way to co-exist with them. Skunks and I get along just fine....they come at night to dig the lawn and eat the grubs of Japanese beetles....I don't garden after dark, so we pretty much stay out of each other's way. ;)

I'm into making more compost than ever and have a free source of sawdust and wood ashes which I could add to the kitchen scraps and grass clippings. I know it takes a long time for sawdust to break down and I've seen cautions about adding ashes to the compost pile. Any thoughts or experience with this?

ETA: My ticker shows my rows of potatoes which is making use of my drainage field without troublesome roots!
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    The local green house went out of business so we're looking for a new place but we picked up some Brussel sprout plants. Apparently there used to be a massive asparagus farm out around here when my folks were young but now it's all houses and we're paying at least 2.00 a pound for asparagus. Our land just isn't right for growing it sadly.

Have you tried a raised bed? It's the way my mother grows hers. I've been meaning to get one of my own started but it's always at the bottom of the garden to-do list.

I grow my asparagus in a raised bed that I filled with compost and every year I add more compost. Last fall I added composted horse manure and bedding and then covered with leaves for the first time. It gave the bed a neat and tidy look.....lol!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    rats. I FINALLY put in hot and sweet peppers and basil, parsley, some sage, dill and oregano that I bought 2 weeks ago and that's it. I've been lazy/busy and haven't bought any tomatoes, zuchs or egg plant yet... or any annuals. I gotta get on this.. BUT my perennial hibisci are coming up ( the foxglove died) and i bought 2 new hibisci and put in one i brought in from the winter along with some 2 year old poinsettias. they look like death.