greek yogurt

Options
is greek yogurt supposed to taste like sour cream normally? i tried it for the first time today and it tasted like sour cream so i added raspberries to it to make it taste better . . . . now it tastes like raspberries and sour cream. any suggestions?

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Did you get plain? I can't stomach plain. So I get vanilla or one of the fruit flavours. I love Chobani, particular pomegranate.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    last time I tried it I am pretty sure that is what wall paper paste tastes like... It varies depending on the brand.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you want a healthy low fat yoghurt that tastes yummy try this:
    http://www.oetker.co.uk/oetker_uk/html/default/debi-7m2mbd.en.html

Its a fat free strawberry one, its reasonably cheap and tastes delicious.
    I also used to use it to make breakfast smoothies with banana and whatever fruit i had lying around.

HIGHLY recommended =)
  • NinjaPrincess
    Options
    I add vanilla and splenda and then mix in either cocoa, berries, pumpkin etc to make it flavoured. That way I get the plain fat free stuff but know exactly what I am adding. But yes on its own its a bit bitter :)

Oh and its also greak to add instead of mayo to tuna or if you are making a curry or some kind of sauce you want creamy boosts the protien content a bit too!
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just like regular yogurt, plain greek yogurt would be a great substitute for sour cream, but no, it's not supposed to taste like it.
    I ADORE Chobani Greek Yogurt. In fact...the strawberry banana is fabulous. I have one every day for my morning snack.
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    i love it! you get used to it after a few days! its so thick and creamy - i couldn't go back to any other fake flavored watery textured yogurt!
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    A girl at my gym swears by adding blueberries and Honey; she say's it's delish.
  • RaeBella13
    Options
    I tried Brown Cow Greek Yogurt (Vanilla) for the first time today because all I keep hearing is that it's sooooo good and soooo good for you.

I could not stomach it!!!! I wish I could eat it, but there is NO WAY. Ick.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is richer than regular so some brands might taste like sour cream to you. Chobani is rich and yummy with no fat. I like the flavored ones. It also has lots of protein.
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    I add Honey to mine. Yes it tastes a little on the sour cream side at first.

I ll have to try the pumpking idea..LOVE pumpkin.
    ;-)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I eat the Voskos fat free vanilla bean honey.
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think it is definitely an acquired taste. It took me some time to stomach it. It is thicker than regular yogurt and can be bitter, especially plain.

I LOVE Fage 0% Plain with 2 teaspoons of Trader Joe's Reduced Sugar Preserves mixed in. I eat this an hour before my workouts, yum!
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can save a lot of money if you buy plain, fat free yogurt (the regular old kind) and then strain it. I take a large container and let it sit in a wire sieive over night in the fridge (its over a bowl). All the excess liquid comes out and you end up with basically greek yogurt. I can get a large container for less than $1.50 -- much cheaper and very yummy!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like dannon.....I keep it all the time because hey it does taste like yogrut...my husband even likes it....we eat it on baked potatoes....my 8 year old son loves to eat it with honey and strawberries....I am really wanting to use it in other dishes....it is awesome.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain either. I really like the Chobani Honey (the vanilla is too sweet for me) but yea, greek yogurt is not what you think of as yogurt- its much more like a sour cream or almost like a cheese. They are filling but def. an acquired taste.

You can also try plain (non greek) yogurt with a touch of lemon juice to start teaching your brain to think of it as a savory snack instead of a sweet one.
  • madworld711b
    Options
    Yeah, you are right-- it taste kind of like sour cream. But, to make it better I add stevia or honey. I have a hard time eating yogurt (something about the consistency), but when I do have it I add stuff to it.
  • mhill71
    mhill71 Posts: 747
    Options
    Try adding a litte honey and top it off with walnuts or granola. Adding fruit will also make it more tolerable.
  • mygirlsnme
    Options
    The plain is the best for you, has less carbs, I have to watch my carb & sugar intake. I add a packet of truvia to mine and it really helps!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Omg, I loooove greek yogurt, ever since finding it at a grocery store near me a couple of weeks ago I've gone through 4-5 large size containers. A couple of times I've eaten the entire container in one day. :embarassed:

But then last time I went grocery shopping they didn't have the vanilla flavor so I bought plain, and I forgot to buy honey to mix into it, so I tried to eat it on its own...and it was too sour/tart for me... I'm sure I just need to get used to it (or I need to get some honey), but I much prefer the vanilla flavor.
  • davebarron
    Options
    When I was in San Francisco I found a brand called Fage. I absolutely loved the 2% version, as it tasted like ice cream to me. It didn't taste sour at all, but maybe I have had so little cream the last six months that it tasted so darned good in contrast. I suppose you could add a bit of sucralose or honey to sweeten it slightly.

Anyhow I wish I could find Fage here at home in Vancouver, the only Greek style yogurt I can find is horrible in comparison. So try different brands,they may taste different!