greek yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I can't eat it straight out of the cup like you would yogurt, but I do use it in place of sour cream in lots of stuff. I add powdered ranch mix to it as a veggie dip. Add a little milk and it makes a terrific ranch salad dressing for many less calories than even lite ranch, with an added protein boost.

I recently bought onion dip mix and I am going to try using it in greek yogurt as a dip for crackers at my next family party. I am not gonna tell anyone, and see what they think!

I also have found that I prefer the "Greek Gods" brand. It is much less grainy than the dannon or yoplait versions.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    question..I don't know if this sounds dumb or not, but could you add a little vanilla extract to it to make it taste a little better. I haven't had plain Greek yogurt, but I plan on trying it soon and that sounded like a good idea. but maybe not?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You can save a lot of money if you buy plain, fat free yogurt (the regular old kind) and then strain it. I take a large container and let it sit in a wire sieive over night in the fridge (its over a bowl). All the excess liquid comes out and you end up with basically greek yogurt. I can get a large container for less than $1.50 -- much cheaper and very yummy!

This is what I do! (I put cheese cloth in the wire strainer then dump the yogurt into that. ) Works like a charm. :drinker: Much less expensive, too! (I actually made my own yogurt, then strained it, which is even cheaper... 3 jars of yogurt for a couple of dollars.)
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    question..I don't know if this sounds dumb or not, but could you add a little vanilla extract to it to make it taste a little better. I haven't had plain Greek yogurt, but I plan on trying it soon and that sounded like a good idea. but maybe not?
    Yes, you totally could do this, I actually tried it, but I was still missing the sweetness...adding any sort of sweetener would make it taste exactly like the vanilla flavor imo. (I just happen to not have any sweetener on hand at the moment)
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    for a different take on yogurt, instead of making it sweet, do this:

add a couple cloves of raw garlic (minced)
    chopped up cucumbers, however many you like
    juice from lemon, to taste (usually 1/2 to 1)
    salt, to taste
    dill weed

it's sooo yummy and refreshing!
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    thanks for everyones suggestions!! i tried a few new ideas in the last couple of days and it IS actually tolerable. :laugh: I actually look forward to it now. Thanks BU-DDIES!!:bigsmile:
  • ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i just got into liking greek yogurt! I use the plain kind, and yes it is bitter and sourcream-ish tasting so I add 1 packet of splenda and fresh berries. Now that I am used to it (i've only had it for 2 days now haha) i LOVE it! I don't mind the slightly bitter or tart taste it has because it is so thick and creamy I feel like i'm eating dessert! but yeah, i think it will take me awhile, if ever, to eat it plain with nothing.
  • akcaswell
    akcaswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can save a lot of money if you buy plain, fat free yogurt (the regular old kind) and then strain it. I take a large container and let it sit in a wire sieive over night in the fridge (its over a bowl). All the excess liquid comes out and you end up with basically greek yogurt. I can get a large container for less than $1.50 -- much cheaper and very yummy!

But if you do this are you still getting the same protien content as you would with regular greek? I do not eat it so much for consistancy but for the fact that is has at least twice the normal protien as reg. yogurt
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think greek yogurt is kinda not worth the calories.. i know theres a ton of protien but id rather just go with like a little activa for what 80 calories? ..... Im also hearing from alot of people that dairy is not a good avenue for weight loss.. one of my co workers trainer said to cut it out all together.. what do u think ?
  • akcaswell
    akcaswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know for me personally.....it helps to stay away from any form of lactose...not that I am lactose intolerant...it just seems that I lose weight more efficiently when I stick to something like almond milk. OTOH...I am in a classroom all day long and need something packed with protein that is ready to go for my snacks and so I use the greek yogurt (plain) and add in some smashed berries
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    I think greek yogurt is kinda not worth the calories.. i know theres a ton of protien but id rather just go with like a little activa for what 80 calories? ..... Im also hearing from alot of people that dairy is not a good avenue for weight loss.. one of my co workers trainer said to cut it out all together.. what do u think ?

I think you need a balanced diet.:bigsmile: I think its a little extreme when people cut out food groups altogether(unless they are allergic). I know what works for me and dairy is apart of it. Everyone is different though, try not to deprive yourself or go to extremes, otherwise you will have a hell of a time maintaining it after.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options

This is what I do! (I put cheese cloth in the wire strainer then dump the yogurt into that. ) Works like a charm. :drinker: Much less expensive, too! (I actually made my own yogurt, then strained it, which is even cheaper... 3 jars of yogurt for a couple of dollars.)

I do the same thing..make my own yogurt, for years and it's so easy and tasty..yum!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

But if you do this are you still getting the same protien content as you would with regular greek? I do not eat it so much for consistancy but for the fact that is has at least twice the normal protien as reg. yogurt

I've looked this up, and straining it removes only a tiny bit of protein from the yogurt*. Since it reduces the volume and you have to eat more of the yogurt (1cup of strained yogurt = more than 1 cup of non-strained yogurt) I think the protein content should be about the same. I haven't done a technical analysis... but even if there is a slight decrease in protein overall (1 cup of strained yogurt vs 1 cup greek yogurt) I don't think it's worth how much more greek yogurt costs.

*The whey (which is what you strain out) has 2g of protein for every 1cup of whey - when I strain 1 to 2 cups of yogurt, I only get maybe 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of whey. (Nutrition info Per the USDA nutrient website http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ )
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree, plain yogurt, no matter what brand tastes like sour cream to me. I love greek yogurt though, and I get the honey brand...but its high in calories. I prefer 'yami' brand yogurt. Its SO thick and creamy...its the best! Now you got me craving yogurt...I may have to make a trip to the store tonight!:drinker:
  • beachgal324
    Options
    Blueberries and local honey!!!! My kids even love it! I have to hide when I eat it or they will give me the stare down....don't think I could go back to regular yogurt.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I hate all greek yogurt except this one: Chobani Champions in Very Berry.

It's for kids, so it's not as tart and sour creamy tasting.
    Don't get targeting kids tho because the 10yr old me still wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole, but the 35yr old me loves it!!!!
  • sylnalise
    Options
    I add vanilla and splenda and then mix in either cocoa, berries, pumpkin etc to make it flavoured. That way I get the plain fat free stuff but know exactly what I am adding. But yes on its own its a bit bitter :)

Oh and its also greak to add instead of mayo to tuna or if you are making a curry or some kind of sauce you want creamy boosts the protien content a bit too!

I do the same too!!! I used to buy the vanilla Liberty Greek yogourt until I read the label!!! so now I buy plain and add my own stuff in it especially frozen fruits in which when they thaw creates sone sweet juice.

I also made dressings and cook with it also, I think it is a great yogourt to have at home and it is so versatile!!!
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Like a previous response, I mix a little jam into it. Lots of fruity flavor, just enough sweetness, and the jam mixes in so well that every bite gets the flavor (which is why chopped fruit wasn't good enough for me). You need very little jam to flavor a lot of Greek yogurt. One 6 oz serving of nonfat Greek yogurt with a Tbsp of jam (MORE than enough) comes in around 150 calories and keeps me full all morning long!
  • Aggiegirl92
    Options
    To the plain greek yogurt try adding in a teaspoon of lemon curd or agave nectar as well to sweeten it up and of course whatever fresh fruit you have on hand, so very yummy!