How can people live on 1200 calories?

Options
It's 3 p.m. and I'm at 1300 calories. I'm cranky and think I could die of starvation. This is no way to live. Thank goodness I still have room to eat more today!

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    HANGRY RAWWWRRREEREREREERERER <---- like that?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    because we don't HAVE to be as large of individuals as we are, and the human body is amazingly adaptable...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Statistically, most people underreport and underestimate their intake. So chances are, very few people truly are consuming that little chronically.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    they don't. eat more.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    They can't.....not for long periods anyway.

You've been on MFP for 6 years and only have 9 friends?? Get to cracking girl...
  • angiek123
    angiek123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    HANGRY RAWWWRRREEREREREERERER <---- like that?

LOL Yes, exactly.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people function on only 1200 calories per day. It sounds like torture.
  • angiek123
    angiek123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

You've been on MFP for 6 years and only have 9 friends?? Get to cracking girl...

I know, right? I wasn't really using the site until October. I was on a rival site before. (Gasp!)
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    their stomachs shrink and they live happily ever after..
  • jlweston85
    Options
    I'm new to all this but so far I've hit 1200 about 50% of the time. Usually when I miss it, it's only by a couple hundred calories. Exercise also buys you some more - I don't mind stuffing my face after a long bike ride, and I don't feel guilty about it either.

But even if you can't hit 1200, if you're still managing to make your weight goals, you're doing fine! The most important thing is that you're conscious about what you're eating and making an effort to change your lifestyle.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 for breakfast...lol. I don't know how people function either.
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have, it is do-able (but not fun), I like to be at 1300-1400, I am happy then and satisfied and my family is happy because mom isn't acting like a monster. It is a win win :blushing: .
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    LoL, you know, I bet this same post was started at least twice last week. Probably in the same day. I got scared for a little bit and thought I was mentally losing it.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I dont find it that crazy since I'm trying to lose weight I norm stay in a deficit so cals for me average about 1300 no biggie ^_^
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    But even if you can't hit 1200, if you're still managing to make your weight goals, you're doing fine! The most important thing is that you're conscious about what you're eating and making an effort to change your lifestyle.

No. This is simply wrong.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories and honestly, it's rare for me to be hungry at the end of my calories. I think a lot of it is because I'm careful to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, the rest of it is probably because I eat low-fat vegan now. I get plenty on my plates, plenty in my belly, and it's all low calorie stuff, I get a huge amount of food for my calories. When I was eating poorly, I was always hungry, even shortly after I finished a meal.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    1200 calories. ..so my evening snack:drinker:
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat four times a day plus snacks... I eat 1200 by a little after noon... I will stick to my 1500 - 1800 calorie intake thank you..
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    its easy, several meals of low calorie foods. I did it for 7 months! (And yes, im ocd and do measure and diary everything i eat) lots of steamed and raw veg, pork tenderloin, chicken/turkey breast baked fish. Lentil chips n hummus or salsa for snacks, several snacks through out the day of raw v eg n hummus or fat free ranch dressing. Big bowl of cereal n fruit for breakfast and 100 cal snack packs for my sweet tooth. ( i did give up butter for 0 cal butter sprays, reduced mayos ect and cook with small amounts of evo) Those were a major source of calories for me that added up. that 1 pat of butter in my meal could be an entire cup of more satisfying veg

Calories i probably take 1/3 of what my husband eats
    Quantity i eat twice as much

Calories have nothing to do with how much you eat but WHAT you eat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually visualize something like this...

Having-Move-Back-Your-Parents-House.gif

That said, I really think people who are claiming to eat this and below this (particularly the ones claiming they can't lose) are just underestimating their intake...a whole lot of people are just flat out lying to themselves.