How can people live on 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Here we go....I preach this message at least once every two months.

It's simple. If you eat REALLY CLEAN...and by clean I mean absolutely NO processed food, it is VERY DIFFICULT to reach the high calorie marks that people think they should be eating. Even on the days when I stuff my face with lean meat, veggies, fruit etc, I have a hard time breaking 1,000 calories by dinner.

Most of the food (and this includes the supposed health food we eat) presented to us is packaged, processed, and full of horrible things like hydrogenated oils, corn syrup and other highly caloric crap.

Finally, don't confuse the emotional and psychological desire to eat with a true need for calories. Americans are notorious for eating when they are bored or because it's "meal time"....not because their body is actually signalling that they need food. Everyone is different. What I need might not be the same as someone else which is why I think following stupid little algorithms which calculate what you need is foolish. Sure, it might give you a starting point but if you follow it like it's the gospel then you're ignoring what is most important which is knowing your body.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well it all depends. I've started off with the typical 1200 net calories when I joined MFP. I think I actually used to eat more since I was eating my exercise calories back, but I've had some periods in which I was actually eating that amount of calories. It's surely hard but I didn't feel physically sick, at least I didn't when I wasn't exercising since I was basically doing nothing all day long. I don't think I've been doing that for a long time, but I can clearly remember doing it when I started losing weight almost 2 years ago and I was probably close to that goal after Christmas since I gained lots of weight. I wouldn't be able to do the same right now, but I'm also more active than I ever was. I'm on 1500 net calories at the moment which is TDEE-15% for me, and some days it's still very very hard. But considering that my TDEE is "only" 1800 kcals, even if it is unnecessary for me to eat 1200 kcals at the moment, there is no way I could lose much weight by eating a much higher amount of calories.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Personally, I give myself 1400 calories every day. I do this for a number of reasons. It forces me to exercise if I want to drink or eat at some moderate level of enjoyment. I also do not weigh my food, so this is helping to mitigate the damage I potentially do there. I also try to underestimate calories burned. Right now, I'm just going for intense weight loss (while doing my best to maintain muscle mass). When I get to the weight I want, it's back to being 200-300 under maintenance, eating a crap ton of protein, and building muscle / maintaining shape the "right" way.

Anyway, eating that low sucks. Like I said, it's a motivator to exercise every day and log it. Like others have said, the human body is adaptable. I honestly enjoy the stomach shrinkage (or decrease in appetite or whatever it is) that means I become full more quickly.

Last thing: eating less, like giving blood, makes you a cheap date at the bar!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If I don't workout that day, its weirdly easy. If I DO workout, I eat an extra 200-500cal however! But for some reason, staying under 1200 is a piece of cake for me -- I get full easily...

Same here, although I'm disturbingly close to the profile for whom 1200 is supposedly good, as described above. ;-)

I wonder if people differ in whether they are satisfied based on volume vs. calories. For me, as long as I get some protein and fat and the volume of what I'm eating seems like what my mind understands as a full meal, I am generally satisfied and don't get hungry until the next mealtime unless I burn a bunch of extra calories (ran 5.5 miles on Sunday and definitely needed more). So I eat meat or eggs plus lots of vegetables as the basis of my plate, and then add dairy and carbs depending on what I'm in the mood for, what fits, etc. Eating like this, I could easily eat 1200 and be satisfied, and also fit in treats on occasion or on heavier workout days.

Now I do prefer getting extra calories through working out and eating a bit more, but either way I'm almost never hungry, as opposed to how I used to feel. This is important, because I'm not into white knuckling--if I were hungry all the time it simply wouldn't work for me. As it is, when I've felt hungry it's been pretty easy to trace it to my mind playing games--it was either stress, and went away when I dealt with the stress, or simply an association of snacking with certain activities, which could be dealt with through lower cal snacks.

I don't think 1200-1300 works for everyone--totally agree that it's too bad MFP gives it to younger people with little to lose--but it's not always a bad goal, especially if it encourages you to exercise for more calories. Anyway, I don't expect to be able to lose 2 lbs/week when I'm closer to goal, of course, and as I get in better shape I'm trying to push to exercise more and thus eat more, even as I get smaller.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I"m on 1250 and eat back exercise - which is most days, but not every - so that gives me an extra 100-200 calories on those days. That being said - as long as I don't want to drink my calories (red wine!!!) I have NO problem staying in my range even on a non work out day, Tuesday night I had almost 200 calories left and ate a couple Oreos before bed just to get the number up! (no work out that day)

Last night (yes I did work out) I ate some Easter candy (I actually counted out the 12 malted eggs and stopped and was happy) and slice of toast with PB before bed. I drink a lot of water (not that I log the water anymore) and rarely feel hungry or deprived.

I don't deprive myself either. I have gone out for McDonalds, I still eat chips and salsa, snack at night, and eat candy, drink my wine, etc. It's all about portion control and making choices. I'm down almost 17# and I'll take it.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Please Id love to hear more people tell other people about how they know someone elses body better then them. Tells us again how we all should eat this exact number of calories and not 100 or 200 more or less. Tell me again how my male body functions Exactly the same as another male body. Tell me how my 3.5 years of experience eating and exercising and weight loss is the same as yours.

You dont know my TDEE or what my body needs only I know. If I'm a male and see that I lose best at 1400 cals instead of 1500 then get bent its nothing to you. If I eat "1000 calories for breakfast" good for me Im a braggart! And ill get eaten first in a zombie apocalypse. #borntorun

Its about balance not extreme.

Certainly a max of 800 a day is pretty low unless you an inactive small build low muscle mass female. Then an 800 calorie low maybe enough. It certainly isnt recommended by default and I wouldn't tell people that. Biological nutrition is not an exact science because every single body is slightly different with unimaginable number of variables.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I actually had a doctor recently tell me to only consume 1200 calories a day. My outsides were like "sure, sounds good" yet my brain was like "you cray, girl". It's like she completely skipped over the part of the conversation where I told her I had already lost 100lbs & just needed something to help me get through a plateau. Starving myself is apparently her medical opinion. I know myself & my personality, and I'll end up binging at night if I eat that low of calories.

Granted - I started out around 365lbs & my stomach has gradually had to shrink back to a normal humans tummy size. It may be easier for somebody who wasn't used to eating whatever they want (a whole pizza... tub of ice cream... pan of brownies anyone?)
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

It's simple. If you eat REALLY CLEAN...and by clean I mean absolutely NO processed food, it is VERY DIFFICULT to reach the high calorie marks that people think they should be eating. Even on the days when I stuff my face with lean meat, veggies, fruit etc, I have a hard time breaking 1,000 calories by dinner.

This. Everyone likes to dog on clean eating on this web site, but seriously try to get to 1200 calories eating raw vegetables and fruits, lean protein, beans, grains, etc. Even cooked with olive oil, it's still hard to overeat. For me, it's the processed crap and alcohol that drives my calorie count up... that and not exercising.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options

Most of the food (and this includes the supposed health food we eat) presented to us is packaged, processed, and full of horrible things like hydrogenated oils, corn syrup and other highly caloric crap.

Finally, don't confuse the emotional and psychological desire to eat with a true need for calories. Americans are notorious for eating when they are bored or because it's "meal time"....not because their body is actually signalling that they need food. Everyone is different. What I need might not be the same as someone else which is why I think following stupid little algorithms which calculate what you need is foolish. Sure, it might give you a starting point but if you follow it like it's the gospel then you're ignoring what is most important which is knowing your body.

So you're not following your "clean eating" plan "like it's the gospel" ??

I mean, just curious.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Please Id love to hear more people tell other people about how they know someone elses body better then them. Tells us again how we all should eat this exact number of calories and not 100 or 200 more or less. Tell me again how my male body functions Exactly the same as another male body. Tell me how my 3.5 years of experience eating and exercising and weight loss is the same as yours.

You dont know my TDEE or what my body needs only I know. If I'm a male and see that I lose best at 1400 cals instead of 1500 then get bent its nothing to you. If I eat "1000 calories for breakfast" good for me Im a braggart! And ill get eaten first in a zombie apocalypse. #borntorun

Certainly a max of 800 a day is pretty low unless you an inactive small build low muscle mass female. Then an 800 calorie low maybe enough. It certainly isnt recommended by default and I wouldn't tell people that. Biological nutrition is not an exact science because every single body is slightly different with unimaginable number of variables.

I don't get it... was anyone telling anyone else how to live their lives? I thought they were just sharing their personal experiences... and responding to the OP's question...

I don't get it.
  • daniellerbb
    daniellerbb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why instead of calling foods "clean" can't you say you eat whole healthy foods. :)
    My bag of chips that i used to eat before dieting didn't have any dirt on it. It was clean. in a bag .

My tomatoes were dirty so not clean So i had to wash them. but they prob. had some dirt on them.. and sometimes i would just slightly rinse them off under the hose in the back yard and eat them (from my garden.) prob. still not clean.. But the tomato's are wholesome <--

It should be processed vrs non processed .

I don't get it..
    It's Clean vrs Dirty Processed vrs Non Processed. it's only English. ;/

you (we) eat Wholesome foods. :)
    clean <smh>

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is so LOW! How on God's green earth would you put out any kind of workout or sports performance on that? Admittedly, I'm tall for a woman (5'9") but that doesn't seem to be enough calories to get dressed in your workout clothes! It would probably be healthier to go higher, using any kind of exercise, to eat more calories. I cannot believe a fully grown human of either sex could not lose weight eating at least 1400 calories that was able to get up and walk around at all.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    650 is stupid. No Dr. or cleanassdiet is going to have someone eating 650 that's worth a damn. You won't get enough of anything to stay alive.
  • lynnfranklin07
    Options
    :happy:
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me that I can have 1670 cals per day. I don't usually eat all of them and if I exercise, I try not to eat them. Losing on average about 1lb per week. Could do with some advice tho...am I eating enough to lose weight or should I try eating all of the calories?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I don't get it... was anyone telling anyone else how to live their lives? I thought they were just sharing their personal experiences... and responding to the OP's question...

I don't get it.

Anyone who's been a friend of mine eating that little gets dropped off my friend list because ALL THEY DO is complain about how they aren't losing any weight. You don't lose weight when your body thinks you are starving!
    #Judgemental #ignorant #inaccurate
  • daniellerbb
    daniellerbb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Isn't the 1200 cal just baseline (maintaining body function) . If you work out (even just take a 30 min slow walk) you get more calories. It depends on what type of work out I do. But The morning starts at 1200.. After I log in my walk they system gives me more calories.. :)
    I'm shorter than you so also. need less calories too. :D
    We somehow have to figure out how many calories we used to eat (or need to eat to maintain today's weight ) before we started dieting and eat/exercise 500cal less a day or 3500 cal. less a week in a week a day to loose 1 lb a week..
    So if you used to eat 2000 - 500 = 1500. right ? but i'm shorter than you so i used to eat 1800 -500(less cal. more exercise) = 1200.
    :)
    WW give me 900cal but fruit and vegs were not added .. so it sort of ended up you were eating more than 1200 but choosing fruits and veggies which had good fiber.. but it's $$ for me now.
    1200 calories is so LOW! How on God's green earth would you put out any kind of workout or sports performance on that? Admittedly, I'm tall for a woman (5'9") but that doesn't seem to be enough calories to get dressed in your workout clothes! It would probably be healthier to go higher, using any kind of exercise, to eat more calories. I cannot believe a fully grown human of either sex could not lose weight eating at least 1400 calories that was able to get up and walk around at all.
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Motivation and Determination to lose weight helps. I've had my ups and downs, but I went sliding down from 260-178 today with only 28 to go. I also have a modification in my diet plan which includes 16 ounces of whey protein and CLA 2 times a day. Averaging my total intake to 1700, but without the shakes is 1200.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1200 net calories isn't too hard to live off of. I hit right around 1200 net calories every day by having two small meals and one biggish meal, and I spread out my food throughout the day so I'm never super hungry come meal time (I eat half my breakfast around 9, the other half between 10 and 12, have lunch at 2 or so, then dinner at 6 or 7). It helps to have 200-400 exercise calories most days of the week though, so I'm really eating 1400+ total on a daily basis. A straight-up 1200 calorie total though is horrendously difficult, and I only do that about once a week. It involves lots of veggies, lots of fruit, and very few items that are high in fats/sugars.

Edit: I wanted to add: I'm just 5'3, and I have a pretty darn sedentary job, so I'm not needing as many calories daily as someone who is taller or has a more active job/lifestyle. That makes 1200 net calories much more achievable for me, personally.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    650 is stupid. No Dr. or cleanassdiet is going to have someone eating 650 that's worth a damn. You won't get enough of anything to stay alive.

Not in the long term. Short term it works great. Just do a VLCD for a time...then go into maintenance, then go back on the VLCD.

Its stairs, not a wheelchair ramp.