How long after eating can I walk?

Options
Maqneta
Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
I heard that it's not good to walk right after eating, but I don't want to walk for 40 minutes only to gain back all the calories I lost.
D:

Replies

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    As soon as you put down the fork.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You can eat and walk at the same time if you want. As long as the exercise isn't strenuous there is no required waiting time.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the question (or the statement). You can walk while you're eating if you like. Or right after. Whenever. Not sure how walking at a certain time re: eating would cause you to gain back? Do whatever works for you - the important thing is to get up and move a bit if that's what you're after (not the timing of that movement).

ETA: Jinx! re: eating and walking at the same time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the question (or the statement). You can walk while you're eating if you like. Or right after. Whenever. Not sure how walking at a certain time re: eating would cause you to gain back? Do whatever works for you - the important thing is to get up and move a bit if that's what you're after (not the timing of that movement).

ETA: Jinx! re: eating and walking at the same time.

This.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    but I don't want to walk for 40 minutes only to gain back all the calories I lost.
    D:
    Ummm....what?:yawn:
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that whole waiting to move around or exercise after you eat is a myth. Unless you've found it does affect you negatively then in that case you're the only one who can answer that question! :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think you've confused walking with swimming.
  • hoffma25
    hoffma25 Posts: 36
    Options
    You can walk whenever! As long as it's not strenuous and you don't suffer from low blood sugar or anything, you should be good to walk before, after, or during your mealtimes.

If a workout is strenuous, ie. running, swimming, the elliptical, then yes, you will cramp if you workout too soon after eating. As for gaining calories back as a result of walking too soon after eating? I've never heard of such a thing
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't want to walk for 40 minutes only to gain back all the calories I lost.
    D:

I have no idea what this might mean.

But yeah, go for a walk. It's super low impact, so it's not like you'll get sick or something.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I eat and RUN at the same time. I don't understand the question.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You have to wait thirty minutes before walking or you could drown.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If I start walking immediately after I eat... I can probably manage about three hours of walking before I need to eat again.

I suppose I could go longer, but I don't want to enter starvation mode.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    thirty minutes or you get cramps…or is that swimming…or is that swimming or walking at the same time….
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You must never play the trombone while eating as it sounds terrible
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If I start walking immediately after I eat... I can probably manage about three hours of walking before I need to eat again.

I suppose I could go longer, but I don't want to enter starvation mode.

:heart: :laugh:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

Now the real test is who can swim, walk and eat at the same time! Sometimes I eat in the shower but I dunno if that counts.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I eat and RUN at the same time. I don't understand the question.

tumblr_m8kbsqUdtp1qb9fuc.gif
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

Now the real test is who can swim, walk and eat at the same time! Sometimes I eat in the shower but I dunno if that counts.

I tread water and drink beer. Does that count?
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It costs your body a substantial amount of energy to digest your food; therefore you can't perform as good within a given timeframe after you ate (approx. 1h after a meal).

But walking doesn't require much energy, so it doesn't really matter even if you'd eat during the walk..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the real question is …can you walk and chew gum thirty minutes after eating, or does that use up too much energy?