• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    double post. mfp freakin' out :P
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    for those interested:
    What is the theory behind natural colon cleansing?

The practice of natural colon cleansing dates back to ancient Greece. In the U.S., cleansing the colon -- the large intestine -- became popular in the 1920s and 1930s. But when the theories behind it lost support, it fell out of favor. Recently, though, colon cleansing -- using, for example, teas, enzymes, or colon irrigation -- has experienced resurgence.

One of the main theories behind colon cleansing is an ancient belief called the theory of autointoxication. This is the belief that undigested meat and other foods cause mucus buildup in the colon. This buildup produces toxins, the theory goes, which enter the blood's circulation, poisoning the body.

Some people claim these toxins cause a wide range of symptoms, such as:

Fatigue
    Headache
    Weight gain
    Low energy
    On the surface, the idea of toxins being reabsorbed by the body makes some sense. After all, rectal suppositories are used to rapidly administer drugs. Could toxins, too, be quickly entering the bloodstream from the colon?

If colon cleansing has any effect, however, it likely has less to do with toxins than with its impact on the nervous system. What's the evidence? Reflexes in the bowel affect the entire nervous system. In fact, a wide range of symptoms caused by constipation can be relieved by enemas. If this is true of enemas, then perhaps colon cleansing has a similar effect.

WebMD. Google is your friend.
    [/quote]
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is a good detox for a short period of time. Let's say up to 10 days. I can't detox yet but can't wait to. I would do a juice detox but eat small meals at the same time like salads, soups, lots of beans and veggies. I try to juice at least once a day. I love the documentary fat, sick and almost dead with Joe Cross. I actually meet him twice.

You don't need juice to do your liver's job.

Do you really want to put this hard-working, respectable citizen out of work? Do you?

giLiverGrayBB1085.gif
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    your body can build up pounds, literally pounds of fecal matter and other crap (hehe) within your large intestine and colon that aren't removed during typical... purging. cleanses get the rest of it out.

This is simply not true unless your bowels aren't working properly to begin with. And when they stop working you will certainly know about it pretty quickly. For a healthy person there is literally nowhere for waste to go other than out. And EVERYTHING comes out eventually. Some people's bowels move slower than others, but that is to do with fibre and water intake. Not juice. How does removing fibre (the one thing your bowel really needs to keep things moving) and drinking sugary vitamin water help it function any better? That literally makes no sense. The walls of your bowel are smooth (unless you have diverticulitis*) so there is actually nowhere for waste to get trapped...seriously your comment is just stupid.

*If you have diverticulitis a juice cleanse will not help. Please see a doctor.

lol you're such a pleasant person. :heart:

I'm not the one giving out irresponsible, ignorant advice based on pseudo-science. That would be you.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    because in order to remove the built up crap in the walls of your large intestine and colon, your digestive tract can't be dealing with a full day's worth of food... how are you not getting this?

Your stomach deals with food when you eat it. Your intestines deal with waste that your stomach has decided isn't necessary.

There is nothing built up on the walls of your intestines. Google-Image colonoscopy pictures if you don't believe me. The walls of your bowel are smooth. If you get constipated then drink water and eat more fibre. If that doesn't work then take a laxative. JUICE WILL NOT HELP.

Also your body can do two things at once* so even if this mythical build-up was real it could get rid of it while also "dealing with your full day's worth of food".

*Except maybe your body specifically because you seem incapable of engaging your brain while also typing.

you sound hangry. lol

btw most of the vitamins and minerals you eat are absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach... so... you already have a fundamental misunderstanding of the digestive system.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSJKA-COM_k6jJ2mDgLBAOfV6nD7YTeaIeWPMLQ2TLVUOTsaOiNO44HQ

You totally beat me to it.
    its_a_trap.gif
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    because in order to remove the built up crap in the walls of your large intestine and colon, your digestive tract can't be dealing with a full day's worth of food... how are you not getting this?

Your stomach deals with food when you eat it. Your intestines deal with waste that your stomach has decided isn't necessary.

There is nothing built up on the walls of your intestines. Google-Image colonoscopy pictures if you don't believe me. The walls of your bowel are smooth. If you get constipated then drink water and eat more fibre. If that doesn't work then take a laxative. JUICE WILL NOT HELP.

Also your body can do two things at once* so even if this mythical build-up was real it could get rid of it while also "dealing with your full day's worth of food".

*Except maybe your body specifically because you seem incapable of engaging your brain while also typing.

you sound hangry. lol

btw most of the vitamins and minerals you eat are absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach... so... you already have a fundamental misunderstanding of the digestive system.

When did I say your stomach absorbed vitamins? I said it deals with food which it does.

ETA: On re-reading I see where you were potentially confused. To clarify, I was making a two-sentence summary of the digestive system so it was clearly not a nuanced explanation. Vitamins weren't part of that summary so you can stop getting side-tracked with irrelevant points.

I also love how you misread me as being "hangry" as some sort of defence mechanism to avoid admitting you are wrong. Pro-tip: if you don't like being told you're wrong then maybe you could...stop being wrong. I know it might be a struggle at first. It'll take practice and patience. Good luck!
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options

The practice of natural colon cleansing dates back to ancient Greece. In the U.S., cleansing the colon -- the large intestine -- became popular in the 1920s and 1930s. But when the theories behind it lost support, it fell out of favor. Recently, though, colon cleansing -- using, for example, teas, enzymes, or colon irrigation -- has experienced resurgence.

One of the main theories behind colon cleansing is an ancient belief called the theory of autointoxication. This is the belief that undigested meat and other foods cause mucus buildup in the colon. This buildup produces toxins, the theory goes, which enter the blood's circulation, poisoning the body.

Fatigue
    Headache
    Weight gain
    Low energy
    On the surface, the idea of toxins being reabsorbed by the body makes some sense. After all, rectal suppositories are used to rapidly administer drugs. Could toxins, too, be quickly entering the bloodstream from the colon?

If colon cleansing has any effect, however, it likely has less to do with toxins than with its impact on the nervous system. What's the evidence? Reflexes in the bowel affect the entire nervous system. In fact, a wide range of symptoms caused by constipation can be relieved by enemas. If this is true of enemas, then perhaps colon cleansing has a similar effect.

Look, when your most credible source is WebMD, and their 'sources' are "some people" and "ancient beliefs", you don't have a statistical leg to stand on, dude. There's a reason they kept dying in their early thirties when people practiced their "ancient beliefs", your colon cleansing included.

Unless you're drinking GoLytely, your colon is going to have some residue. It is the nature of the design. Unless you've been eating rancid roadkill or drinking wastewater, there aren't a whole lot of "toxins" hanging out in your colon. There ARE, however, millions of friendly bacteria offering your their protection and assistance, and every time you decide to "clean" your colon you screw up their happy little paradise and invite other less friendly bacteria to take over. They aren't so interested in helping you.

Now would someone please tell me, yes or no, that juicing involves throwing away the pulp of the fruits and veggies? Because if it does, I can't imagine how dumb it would be to throw away the fiber that would help more than anything to "clean" your colon. Wtfriggityf.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Question for you: what do doctors prefer folks do before going in for a colonoscopy?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Can someone please name one toxin, just one, that this is detoxing?
  • histora
    Options
    Question for you: what do doctors prefer folks do before going in for a colonoscopy?

Flush. And before you start jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise, that's for VISIBILITY, not some bogeyman toxins. I've seen colonoscopies, I've helped perform them, I've helped people prep for them. I have it from the Dr's mouth: GoLytely is so that they can SEE what and where they are going. Not to clean out your magic toxic friends.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

You're joking right?
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Fatigue
    Headache
    Weight gain
    Low energy

Look, when your most credible source is WebMD, and their 'sources' are "some people" and "ancient beliefs", you don't have a statistical leg to stand on, dude. There's a reason they kept dying in their early thirties when people practiced their "ancient beliefs", your colon cleansing included.

Unless you're drinking GoLytely, your colon is going to have some residue. It is the nature of the design. Unless you've been eating rancid roadkill or drinking wastewater, there aren't a whole lot of "toxins" hanging out in your colon. There ARE, however, millions of friendly bacteria offering your their protection and assistance, and every time you decide to "clean" your colon you screw up their happy little paradise and invite other less friendly bacteria to take over. They aren't so interested in helping you.

Now would someone please tell me, yes or no, that juicing involves throwing away the pulp of the fruits and veggies? Because if it does, I can't imagine how dumb it would be to throw away the fiber that would help more than anything to "clean" your colon. Wtfriggityf.

No throwing away of pulp. No worries there.

Secondly, anyone taking a cleanse should absolutely replenish their gut flora by taking a solid probiotic

Thirdly, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool believer. I'm curious for myself, and more so I'm curious about how it may or may not affect the mucus production in my body. It's an experiment. If it doesn't make any appreciable difference I probably won't continue to do it.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

You're joking right?

I'm not. What do doctor's prefer you do?
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

They give them laxatives so the camera isn't clouded by crap. That doesn't change the fact the bowel walls are smooth and cannot accumulate this supposed build-up you're talking about.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Flush. And before you start jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise, that's for VISIBILITY, not some bogeyman toxins. I've seen colonoscopies, I've helped perform them, I've helped people prep for them. I have it from the Dr's mouth: GoLytely is so that they can SEE what and where they are going. Not to clean out your magic toxic friends.

Ok right. Visibility. So does that mean that there's some gunk up in there that could use being flushed out on occasion? Clearly it means there's something that doesn't get purged through typical bathroom trips yes?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

They aren't putting them on a cleanse or detox to remove toxins. They want their systems cleaned out of pooh so they can see people's intestines.

I'm sure you think asking that makes your case more valid, but it doesn't.

That equipment is pricey, it's easier and cheaper to give a person pills to make them poop a lot before they go so a) the gastroenterologist can do his job easier, b) doesn't get poop all in the nooks and crannies of the camera c) the gastro doc doesn't have to actually try to clean someone out.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

And here we have the winner!
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    WHOA. OK. HOLD ON. I DON'T BELIEVE IT.

You found an article on CNN that wasn't devoted to flight 370?

BEST COMMENT EVER. I just couldn't stop laughing.
  • histora
    Options

Fatigue
    Headache
    Weight gain
    Low energy

No throwing away of pulp. No worries there.

Secondly, anyone taking a cleanse should absolutely replenish their gut flora by taking a solid probiotic

Thirdly, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool believer. I'm curious for myself, and more so I'm curious about how it may or may not affect the mucus production in my body. It's an experiment. If it doesn't make any appreciable difference I probably won't continue to do it.

So if you don't throw away the pulp. why don't you just eat the apple or kale or blueberries? What did mashing the heck out of them achieve? What's the point behind this? Did Ninja and Magic Bullet somehow start a bunch of fake studies to convince a bunch of gullible people they must take their fruits and veggies in liquid form?