Juicing: Healthy detox or diet trap?

Options

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Question for you: what do doctors prefer folks do before going in for a colonoscopy?

Flush. And before you start jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise, that's for VISIBILITY, not some bogeyman toxins. I've seen colonoscopies, I've helped perform them, I've helped people prep for them. I have it from the Dr's mouth: GoLytely is so that they can SEE what and where they are going. Not to clean out your magic toxic friends.

Ok right. Visibility. So does that mean that there's some gunk up in there that could use being flushed out on occasion? Clearly it means there's something that doesn't get purged through typical bathroom trips yes?

Why do you seem to think your intestinal surface should be squeaky clean after each dump? What exactly do you think your intestines are supposed to look like, that shiny pink velvet-carpet image they put in the anatomy books?

The intestines and colon do a TON of absorption of nutrients (which is why suppositories are a thing). Is it so wild and fantastic to imagine that when these areas are NOT shiny and clean, the elements of the left over fermenting waste materials reabsorb? Is that completely and utterly impossible?

I don't have the answer, thus the experiment.

The body is an amazing thing...it doesn't absorb things it doesn't need. Like if I take a vitamin and a vitamin b pill and my body says oh, we only need 1/2 of that vitamin b pill to reach our goal, it pees the rest of it out. It doesn't reabsorb it. It's amazing how efficient our bodies are.

Just like how when someone becomes a vegetarian, after awhile your body realizes it's making an enzyme that is only used to break down meat, your body then ceases to make that enzyme because it's a waste of energy.

The human body the most efficient thing ever.

this is patently false. the body absorbs whatever there is to absorb. it's not a choice. what about radiation? what about carcinogens? what about lead poisoning? what on earth are you talking about?

Nope not false at all, in fact true. It's called science, which obviously you either skipped all of those classes or have forgotten them. That's fine.

According to you, if your body absorbs whatever there is to absorb, then there would be no pee or poop whatsoever now would there???

But no, you are wrong, and it's okay to be wrong. It really is.

Your body will only absorb what it really needs to absorb. It strives for homeostasis, or balance.

Science wins every time.

so the carcinogens?
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Question for you: what do doctors prefer folks do before going in for a colonoscopy?

Flush. And before you start jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise, that's for VISIBILITY, not some bogeyman toxins. I've seen colonoscopies, I've helped perform them, I've helped people prep for them. I have it from the Dr's mouth: GoLytely is so that they can SEE what and where they are going. Not to clean out your magic toxic friends.

Ok right. Visibility. So does that mean that there's some gunk up in there that could use being flushed out on occasion? Clearly it means there's something that doesn't get purged through typical bathroom trips yes?

Why do you seem to think your intestinal surface should be squeaky clean after each dump? What exactly do you think your intestines are supposed to look like, that shiny pink velvet-carpet image they put in the anatomy books?

The intestines and colon do a TON of absorption of nutrients (which is why suppositories are a thing). Is it so wild and fantastic to imagine that when these areas are NOT shiny and clean, the elements of the left over fermenting waste materials reabsorb? Is that completely and utterly impossible?

The body is an amazing thing...it doesn't absorb things it doesn't need. Like if I take a vitamin and a vitamin b pill and my body says oh, we only need 1/2 of that vitamin b pill to reach our goal, it pees the rest of it out. It doesn't reabsorb it. It's amazing how efficient our bodies are.

Just like how when someone becomes a vegetarian, after awhile your body realizes it's making an enzyme that is only used to break down meat, your body then ceases to make that enzyme because it's a waste of energy.

this is patently false. the body absorbs whatever there is to absorb. it's not a choice. what about radiation? what about carcinogens? what about lead poisoning? what on earth are you talking about?

http://healthcare.utah.edu/paincenter/Education/Vitamins.html

To quote: Vitamins are either water-soluble or fat-soluble. Excessive doses of water-soluble vitamins are simply excreted in the urine, but do no harm.

Are you going to call up the University of Utah Medical Center and tell them they are patently false because you say so?

Also, you don't "absorb" radiation in the same way as nutrients from food, so that's not applicable. She said vitamins in her urine example, so why are you ranting about lead? Do you really think you keep lead in your colon? Lead is mainly stored in the bones, where it poses much less of a problem.

And according to a nutritionist:
    http://lisacorradonutrition.com/blog/why-juice-cleanses-are-stupid/

"Then there are healthcare professionals like me who find themselves saying New Year after New Year: please stop doing juice cleanses.My biggest gripes are not the misguided reasons people choose to do juice cleanses.

It’s that there’s absolutely no learning process to make healthy changes for good.
    That juice cleanses make people obsess about what they’re (not) eating, leading those who tend toward disordered eating lean even further that way.
    And that they’re one end of a pendulum swing with the other being the pepperoni pizza and red wine so many participants fling themselves towards when the cleansing period is over."
  • cwsreddy
    Options

To quote: Vitamins are either water-soluble or fat-soluble. Excessive doses of water-soluble vitamins are simply excreted in the urine, but do no harm.

Are you going to call up the University of Utah Medical Center and tell them they are patently false because you say so?

Also, you don't "absorb" radiation in the same way as nutrients from food, so that's not applicable. She said vitamins in her urine example, so why are you ranting about lead? Do you really think you keep lead in your colon? Lead is mainly stored in the bones, where it poses much less of a problem.

"Then there are healthcare professionals like me who find themselves saying New Year after New Year: please stop doing juice cleanses.My biggest gripes are not the misguided reasons people choose to do juice cleanses.

It’s that there’s absolutely no learning process to make healthy changes for good.
    That juice cleanses make people obsess about what they’re (not) eating, leading those who tend toward disordered eating lean even further that way.
    And that they’re one end of a pendulum swing with the other being the pepperoni pizza and red wine so many participants fling themselves towards when the cleansing period is over."

I wasn't disputing the vitamin example, simply the idea that the body "doesn't absorb what it doesn't need". Certain minerals and heavy metals that are absorbed by the body can reach toxic levels in certain circumstances - how is this possible if the body only absorbs what it needs and excretes the rest?

I also am not doing this cleanse to change my eating habits. I don't need any change in my eating habits.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I wasn't disputing the vitamin example, simply the idea that the body "doesn't absorb what it doesn't need". Certain minerals and heavy metals that are absorbed by the body can reach toxic levels in certain circumstances - how is this possible if the body only absorbs what it needs and excretes the rest?

I also am not doing this cleanse to change my eating habits. I don't need any change in my eating habits.

Well have fun completely altering your body on a disproven hunch, buddy. I'm going to go to bed. You haven't actaully proven a damn thing yet, much less named one of these toxins you're going to (not) flush, yet here you are, whinging away why we are all wrong and you have all the answers. Good luck with that. Don't forget to wipe.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Well have fun completely altering your body on a disproven hunch, buddy. I'm going to go to bed. You haven't actaully proven a damn thing yet, much less named one of these toxins you're going to (not) flush, yet here you are, whinging away why we are all wrong and you have all the answers. Good luck with that. Don't forget to wipe.

- Body doesn't need a change, except to pack on some more muscle, which I'll get back to shortly.
    - Not trying to prove anything. Thus the experiment. The point is that I DON'T have all the answers.
    - Not sure why y'all get so worked up over this stuff - it's kind of like gay marriage. It doesn't affect you so why do you care so damn much? :tongue:

G'night. Maybe you need a donut too? So much hangry going on in this thread, and I'm the one who's only had just under 800 cal today. :laugh:
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Colon cleansing (also known as colon therapy) encompasses a number of alternative medical therapies claimed to remove nonspecific "toxins" from the colon and intestinal tract. Colon cleansing may be branded colon hydrotherapy, a colonic or colonic irrigation. During the 2000s internet marketing and infomercials of oral supplements supposedly for colon cleansing increased.

At least we finally know what toxins are removed by detoxes. That question comes up frequently in detox and cleanse threads.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I think juicing is a good detox for a short period of time. Let's say up to 10 days. I can't detox yet but can't wait to. I would do a juice detox but eat small meals at the same time like salads, soups, lots of beans and veggies. I try to juice at least once a day. I love the documentary fat, sick and almost dead with Joe Cross. I actually meet him twice.

But why do you need to detox? And why would you detox, then reintroduce the 'toxins' into your system? I genuinely don't understand what juice detox's are supposed to achieve?

your body can build up pounds, literally pounds of fecal matter and other crap (hehe) within your large intestine and colon that aren't removed during typical... purging. cleanses get the rest of it out.

How does drinking juice clean our my intestines? Why not just water?

because if all you're drinking for a couple days is water you aren't getting any nutrition, yes?

So why can't I just drink water and get my nutrients from solid food? Or shakes?

because in order to remove the built up crap in the walls of your large intestine and colon, your digestive tract can't be dealing with a full day's worth of food... how are you not getting this?

I'm not 'getting it' because it makes no sense. Millions of years humans have existed, and NOW a build up in our intestines needs to be 'flushed out' because our body can't do it itself? And what happens if we don't? Millions of people in the world don't detox, are they going to keel over and die?

ETA: I'm tapping out dude. You detox, I won't, the world will keep turning. :drinker:

millions of people in the world did detox but they call it a fasting. They did it for religious belief and tons of people did. Even back in the man cave days, they fast because they couldn't find meat and food all the time.

So to detox once in a while from all that crap you are eating that is process and fill with chemicals is ok to do so.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

millions of people in the world did detox but they call it a fasting. They did it for religious belief and tons of people did. Even back in the man cave days, they fast because they couldn't find meat and food all the time. So it is normal to detox once in a while from all that crap you are eating that is process and fill with chemicals.

Yup. I always wonder why IF people rail against cleanses.

(same concept kiddos)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Because there were a lot of chemicals and "processed crap" on the menu centuries ago.............

This is more derp than I've seen in one thread in a long time.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Because there were a lot of chemicals and "processed crap" on the menu centuries ago.............

agreed. :wink:
  • sheenashe10
    Options

Centuries ago they detox/fast for a different reason religious or because there isn't a lot of food around. Some people today will detox to cleanse all the process food and chemicals in our food we eat today
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    isn't "healthy detox" an oxymoron?
  • sheenashe10
    Options

agreed. :wink:
    [/quot

I didn't express myself properly on the post. I don't proof read my posts. lol
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i dont know if i should laugh or cry at this thread. laugh at the stupidity of doing a cleanse, or cry at the explanations of doing a cleanse.

this thread needs more gifs. (i dont know how to do them)
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I work at a juicing place and we sell packs of juice for cleanses or as we call them: "Rituals". It's supposed to be a good way to consume a ton of nutrients and treat your body right...or something. Idk, but we ALWAYS suggest eating some avocados, nuts, salads...any kind of healthy fat. Otherwise your body wont absorb all the nutrients and you would have drank all that juice for nothing. We also tell people it's not a weight loss thing. That's just silly.

I just work there though...I really haven't actually looked into it all that much. /shrug
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    because in order to remove the built up crap in the walls of your large intestine and colon, your digestive tract can't be dealing with a full day's worth of food... how are you not getting this?

Your stomach deals with food when you eat it. Your intestines deal with waste that your stomach has decided isn't necessary.

There is nothing built up on the walls of your intestines. Google-Image colonoscopy pictures if you don't believe me. The walls of your bowel are smooth. If you get constipated then drink water and eat more fibre. If that doesn't work then take a laxative. JUICE WILL NOT HELP.

Also your body can do two things at once* so even if this mythical build-up was real it could get rid of it while also "dealing with your full day's worth of food".

*Except maybe your body specifically because you seem incapable of engaging your brain while also typing.

you sound hangry. lol

btw most of the vitamins and minerals you eat are absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach... so... you already have a fundamental misunderstanding of the digestive system.

When did I say your stomach absorbed vitamins? I said it deals with food which it does.

ETA: On re-reading I see where you were potentially confused. To clarify, I was making a two-sentence summary of the digestive system so it was clearly not a nuanced explanation. Vitamins weren't part of that summary so you can stop getting side-tracked with irrelevant points.

I also love how you misread me as being "hangry" as some sort of defence mechanism to avoid admitting you are wrong. Pro-tip: if you don't like being told you're wrong then maybe you could...stop being wrong. I know it might be a struggle at first. It'll take practice and patience. Good luck!

It's his m.o. for discussions. He did it to me today by telling me I needed to relax repeatedly. He erroneously believes that attributing negative aspects to the person he's debating will somehow give him an edge when it only makes him appear juvenile. He hasn't learned to simply state points and counter points and not try to include personal assumptions about the other people.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i dont know if i should laugh or cry at this thread. laugh at the stupidity of doing a cleanse, or cry at the explanations of doing a cleanse.

I agree.

tumblr_mehdeuRPwb1qgh57wo1_400_zpsdf9a8642.gif
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I agree.

tumblr_mehdeuRPwb1qgh57wo1_400_zpsdf9a8642.gif

Perfect - I'm gonna go to sleep, but in the meantime maybe you can tell me why IF is solid scientifically and a juice fast isn't.

kthxbai!
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Your stomach deals with food when you eat it. Your intestines deal with waste that your stomach has decided isn't necessary.

There is nothing built up on the walls of your intestines. Google-Image colonoscopy pictures if you don't believe me. The walls of your bowel are smooth. If you get constipated then drink water and eat more fibre. If that doesn't work then take a laxative. JUICE WILL NOT HELP.

Also your body can do two things at once* so even if this mythical build-up was real it could get rid of it while also "dealing with your full day's worth of food".

*Except maybe your body specifically because you seem incapable of engaging your brain while also typing.

you sound hangry. lol

btw most of the vitamins and minerals you eat are absorbed in the intestines, not the stomach... so... you already have a fundamental misunderstanding of the digestive system.

When did I say your stomach absorbed vitamins? I said it deals with food which it does.

ETA: On re-reading I see where you were potentially confused. To clarify, I was making a two-sentence summary of the digestive system so it was clearly not a nuanced explanation. Vitamins weren't part of that summary so you can stop getting side-tracked with irrelevant points.

I also love how you misread me as being "hangry" as some sort of defence mechanism to avoid admitting you are wrong. Pro-tip: if you don't like being told you're wrong then maybe you could...stop being wrong. I know it might be a struggle at first. It'll take practice and patience. Good luck!

It's his m.o. for discussions. He did it to me today by telling me I needed to relax repeatedly. He erroneously believes that attributing negative aspects to the person he's debating will somehow give him an edge when it only makes him appear juvenile. He hasn't learned to simply state points and counter points and not try to include personal assumptions about the other people.

damn I didn't see this. but the irony is strong. not about you, but the poster you quoted, who attacked me repeatedly before I whipped out the "hangry".

G'night for real!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to do this

hit-head-on-desk-o.gif