I need tips to help me from leaning forward when I squat!

Options

Replies

• KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for quite a while and always had trouble with leaning forward when I did my squats. He had me put 2.5# plates on the floor and put my heels onto those. It made a huge difference in my squats. It really reduces the amount I lean forward and allows me to get a much deeper squat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for quite a while and always had trouble with leaning forward when I did my squats. He had me put 2.5# plates on the floor and put my heels onto those. It made a huge difference in my squats. It really reduces the amount I lean forward and allows me to get a much deeper squat.

it's a tool- but it's not a fix- you shouldn't always be squatting with the plates. you should be able to graduate away from them.

It's a great tool.. it helps with people who aren't able to get hip mobility to hit depth because of a tight Achilles tendon. One small thing is limiting a much bigger thing- so you help the small thing work on it's thing while making the priority hip depth.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great tips all! Subscribing to this

I've heard from others that strengthening the hip muscles through sitting down and doing butterfly, lunges, adducting/abducting, can help with squats.

I have a real problem with keeping my knees apart and all these things with squat form will help later on with greater weight.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    look upwards... no not at the ceiling but look upwards it does help!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I'm anxious to read all the replies!

edited for spelling - replys, wtf???
  • Just_Bella
    Options
    Chest up *kitten* back
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    call me crazy, but i would say a certain amount of forward lean is propper form, and indeed necessary

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

maybe i'm miss understanding the question.
    I think most people on this site are not ready to handle the awesomeness that is 70sbig. :laugh: Don't even get me started on LBEB.

70s big>>>>>>>>> LBEB

OP, goblet squat with dumbbells to work on your form.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    look upwards... no not at the ceiling but look upwards it does help!

+1

Tried this today and crushed a new weight 135#. Definitely helped me keep my chest up looking upwards
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    call me crazy, but i would say a certain amount of forward lean is propper form, and indeed necessary

Yup. I do low bar because I am more comfortable with some forward lean (and yes my legs are "long" and my torso "short"). It makes me so happy when people try to correct my lean at the gym without having any idea what low bar squats are. I downloaded this image to my phone to show the next "helpful" person.

squats.jpg
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Chest up *kitten* back

"That's the way we like to fack!"
    -Meek Mill (feat. Trey Songz, Wale, Sam Sneaker)
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Place your hands on the back of your head and interlock your fingers....Kinda like the prisoner squat...keeps the body in a better postion
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Yup. I do low bar because I am more comfortable with some forward lean (and yes my legs are "long" and my torso "short"). It makes me so happy when people try to correct my lean at the gym without having any idea what low bar squats are. I downloaded this image to my phone to show the next "helpful" person.

squats.jpg

This image helped me so much two weeks ago.. I had some girl interrupt my squats to tell me I'm leaning forward. I was so happy when I saw different types of squats cause it turned out I was doing it right the entire time
  • JoRocka
    Options

squats.jpg

wow- I am surprised you even bother talking to them. I just can't.

you're a bigger man than me LOL
  • Just_Bella
    Options
    Chest up *kitten* back

"That's the way we like to fack!"
    -Meek Mill (feat. Trey Songz, Wale, Sam Sneaker)
    I wont lie this went through my mind as I typed it
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

squats.jpg

Next time I'll just give them a blank stare and turn away.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    do the slow blink... that'll teach them!!!!

I need the sunglasses with mini blinds on them- so when people say stupid ****- I can pull the cord and the mini blinds go dark. so full of win.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Place your hands on the back of your head and interlock your fingers....Kinda like the prisoner squat...keeps the body in a better postion
    How do you hold the bar then?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    do the slow blink... that'll teach them!!!!

I need the sunglasses with mini blinds on them- so when people say stupid ****- I can pull the cord and the mini blinds go dark. so full of win.
    Ermahgerd! I need these so often, I'll need contact lenses made of this.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

squats.jpg

Next time I'll just give them a blank stare and turn away.
    I've already decided ahead of time so that I won't come up short in the moment, my response to "helpful" people is "Thanks!!!!!" and then immediately turn back to what I was doing.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

it's a tool- but it's not a fix- you shouldn't always be squatting with the plates. you should be able to graduate away from them.

It's a great tool.. it helps with people who aren't able to get hip mobility to hit depth because of a tight Achilles tendon. One small thing is limiting a much bigger thing- so you help the small thing work on it's thing while making the priority hip depth.

I disagree. A lot of lifters wear oly lifting shoes (myself included) with a raised heel. It gets rid of my butt wink so I can lift more weight with less chance of being injured. It also does keep my torso more upright because in Chucks I have to sit waaaaay back to hit depth.