I need tips to help me from leaning forward when I squat!

Options
1235»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for quite a while and always had trouble with leaning forward when I did my squats. He had me put 2.5# plates on the floor and put my heels onto those. It made a huge difference in my squats. It really reduces the amount I lean forward and allows me to get a much deeper squat.

it's a tool- but it's not a fix- you shouldn't always be squatting with the plates. you should be able to graduate away from them.

It's a great tool.. it helps with people who aren't able to get hip mobility to hit depth because of a tight Achilles tendon. One small thing is limiting a much bigger thing- so you help the small thing work on it's thing while making the priority hip depth.

I disagree. A lot of lifters wear oly lifting shoes (myself included) with a raised heel. It gets rid of my butt wink so I can lift more weight with less chance of being injured. It also does keep my torso more upright because in Chucks I have to sit waaaaay back to hit depth.

I think there is a slight difference between an oly shoe and a temp fix specifically for hip mobility.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading and learning....
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for quite a while and always had trouble with leaning forward when I did my squats. He had me put 2.5# plates on the floor and put my heels onto those. It made a huge difference in my squats. It really reduces the amount I lean forward and allows me to get a much deeper squat.

it's a tool- but it's not a fix- you shouldn't always be squatting with the plates. you should be able to graduate away from them.

It's a great tool.. it helps with people who aren't able to get hip mobility to hit depth because of a tight Achilles tendon. One small thing is limiting a much bigger thing- so you help the small thing work on it's thing while making the priority hip depth.

I disagree. A lot of lifters wear oly lifting shoes (myself included) with a raised heel. It gets rid of my butt wink so I can lift more weight with less chance of being injured. It also does keep my torso more upright because in Chucks I have to sit waaaaay back to hit depth.

I think there is a slight difference between an oly shoe and a temp fix specifically for hip mobility.

Actually, the plate under the foot mimics the 3/4" heel on an oly shoe. If anything, the plate is a fix until someone can switch to squat shoes. Lifting in trainers or barefoot isn't going to fix squat form the same way.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Actually, the plate under the foot mimics the 3/4" heel on an oly shoe. If anything, the plate is a fix until someone can switch to squat shoes. Lifting in trainers or barefoot isn't going to fix squat form the same way.

^This. I actually cut some pieces of plywood and stuck them in my shoes until I could get some oly shoes. The only functional differences between using a plate and an oly shoe are comfort and maneuverability.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What do people think about lifting your toes when your coming up to prevent lean?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

^This. I actually cut some pieces of plywood and stuck them in my shoes until I could get some oly shoes. The only functional differences between using a plate and an oly shoe are comfort and maneuverability.

So you don't think people who have transitioned to a oly shoe don't already know how to squat and are aware of hip mobility issues? I understand the purpose of the plate and the shoe- but people should know WHY they are doing it- and what it's doing.

People who use a plate are typically using it to help improve their squat because there is a form issues that's suffering.

People who are using an oly shoe are typically significantly more advanced.

The end result is the same- but I feel like the reason why you are doing it are different- I wouldn't slap an oly shoe on a beginner who has sh***y hip mobility because of crappy ankle mobility- that's just a band aid for the problem.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    call me crazy, but i would say a certain amount of forward lean is propper form, and indeed necessary

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

maybe i'm miss understanding the question.

Yup. I do low bar because I am more comfortable with some forward lean (and yes my legs are "long" and my torso "short"). It makes me so happy when people try to correct my lean at the gym without having any idea what low bar squats are. I downloaded this image to my phone to show the next "helpful" person.

squats.jpg

wow- I am surprised you even bother talking to them. I just can't.

you're a bigger man than me LOL

i would also just smile and nod in this situation lol
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    As you are squatting down, wiggle your toes. It forces you to put the weight on your heels to keep balance.