Weighing in at the doctor

Options
Was it stressful? Did your doc counsel you about your weight. Mine did a little.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Nope. The only thing frustrating was when I weighed in wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt and it made like like 6 pounds heavier than I really am. :mad:
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the main thing I use it for is to check my scale at home. Luckily, I live very close to the doctor's office, so even if I'm going back to work after my visit, it's no problem going home and weighing myself on my scale without doing anything to gain or lose weight. As long as my scale reads the same as the doctor's scale, then I just go with my scale because...

...when the doctor weights me, I'm wearing a full, fairly heavy-weight camouflage uniform AND steel-toed boots. The doctor has an arbitrary amount they remove for uniforms and boots, but it's not scaled. So I, as a 6'2", XLG in almost everything I wear AND with size 15 boots get the same deduction as a 4'10" welterweight with size 8 boots.

Myself, if the doctor wanted to counsel me on my weight, I'd use that as a segue to get the doctors to set me up with bodyfat and metabolism tests. If the doctor cares enough to counsel you, then they should care enough to help you get as detailed a picture as you can.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Honestly, the main thing I use it for is to check my scale at home. Luckily, I live very close to the doctor's office, so even if I'm going back to work after my visit, it's no problem going home and weighing myself on my scale without doing anything to gain or lose weight. As long as my scale reads the same as the doctor's scale, then I just go with my scale because...

...when the doctor weights me, I'm wearing a full, fairly heavy-weight camouflage uniform AND steel-toed boots. The doctor has an arbitrary amount they remove for uniforms and boots, but it's not scaled. So I, as a 6'2", XLG in almost everything I wear AND with size 15 boots get the same deduction as a 4'10" welterweight with size 8 boots.

Myself, if the doctor wanted to counsel me on my weight, I'd use that as a segue to get the doctors to set me up with bodyfat and metabolism tests. If the doctor cares enough to counsel you, then they should care enough to help you get as detailed a picture as you can.

Heheh, same here! I nearly flipped when I got weighed at the dr.'s today, till I remembered that my boots weigh about 5 lbs all on their own.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ...when the doctor weights me, I'm wearing a full, fairly heavy-weight camouflage uniform AND steel-toed boots. The doctor has an arbitrary amount they remove for uniforms and boots, but it's not scaled.

Heheh, same here! I nearly flipped when I got weighed at the dr.'s today, till I remembered that my boots weigh about 5 lbs all on their own.
    \

:grumble: Lucky! My doctor's don't give flip about whether you are in in full camo and steel-toed boots. What the scale says is gospel for them. :ohwell: I shrug off their numbers everytime.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ...when the doctor weights me, I'm wearing a full, fairly heavy-weight camouflage uniform AND steel-toed boots. The doctor has an arbitrary amount they remove for uniforms and boots, but it's not scaled.

\

:grumble: Lucky! My doctor's don't give flip about whether you are in in full camo and steel-toed boots. What the scale says is gospel for them. :ohwell: I shrug off their numbers everytime.

Well undress yourself then? You can just wear a shirt and underwear, I always do when I weigh in at the doctors.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nope. The only thing frustrating was when I weighed in wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt and it made like like 6 pounds heavier than I really am. :mad:
    This!

If I weigh myself in the morning, why can't they use that number? Instead of in the middle of the day, fully dressed, two meals and one gallon of water in.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

\

Well undress yourself then? You can just wear a shirt and underwear, I always do when I weigh in at the doctors.
    At my doctor's it's in the middle of the hallway, not in the room.

I guess I could rock a bikini to my appointment and just strut in that! :blushing:
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

\

In military hospitals, the scales tend to be out in the hallway. So stripping down isn't really much of an option.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Well last time I went to the Dr's they said I needed to lose weight.. that was about 30 lbs ago, so I'm actually looking forward to my next trip!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i went to the dr in dec, at my heaviest, but my complaint was that i was gaining weight, so he didnt yell at me or anything, since he knew i was aware of it. went in mid jan again, and had started to lose a little bit ( i think 3 lbs then) and he said i was on the right track. went again last monday, and basically got a pack on the back. he does councel though. when he did a lung function test a long time ago he point blank told me the results made me look like i had emphysema and that i NEEDED to quit smoking (i did, 5 years smoke free YAY) and then again when he tested my cholesterol levels he said they looked like my diabetic mom's numbers and that i needed to do something. (they are great now)
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Well last time I went to the Dr's they said I needed to lose weight.. that was about 30 lbs ago, so I'm actually looking forward to my next trip!

Sweet man. The look on doctor's faces is great when someone successfully loses weight in a healthy fashion. They rarely see it and never expect it these days.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I go in about two weeks. When I was there about 1.5 years ago, I was 32 pounds more than I am now. She made a gentle comment that I might want to think about losing some weight, at the very least I needed to make sure I didn't gain any more weight. When I was there 12 months ago, I was 15 pounds heavier than now. When I was there 6 months ago, I was 9 pounds heavier than now. She told me that if I was down another 5 pounds, she'd probably lower my BP med dosage. So, now I'm 9 pounds down....I'm expecting a change in medication! And a big huge pat on the back.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I go in about two weeks. When I was there about 1.5 years ago, I was 32 pounds more than I am now. She made a gentle comment that I might want to think about losing some weight, at the very least I needed to make sure I didn't gain any more weight. When I was there 12 months ago, I was 15 pounds heavier than now. When I was there 6 months ago, I was 9 pounds heavier than now. She told me that if I was down another 5 pounds, she'd probably lower my BP med dosage. So, now I'm 9 pounds down....I'm expecting a change in medication! And a big huge pat on the back.

congrats! :)

mine is in 4 months (just had my 4 mo. thyroid checkup). Really hoping my cholesterol is down! It's been high since I was at least 22, probably 20. Maybe younger, who knows. They claimed the thyroid meds would help it, but I've seen no signs yet. So, maybe my weight loss will :)

ETA: OP, yes I've always had scale-fright. Sad, but I remember in high school I wouldn't eat lunch and drink as little as possible when I had an afternoon checkup. And I was only 120-130! Oy. However since I started this, I'm not feeling it as much. I still don't like the fact that they weight me in about 5 lbs heavier than my scale at home (b/c of the water they make me drink, clothes, & their scale). But I know I'm healthier than I was previously and that's awesome :)
  • Sjarkey15
    Sjarkey15 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is... Like today it was cold so I was wearing a few layers. Weighed 4 lbs more than I did this AM and I wasn't trying to make excuses but I kept saying "it's not really accurate, I weigh in at home daily and I am losing weight...". I'm on a special program... And if I don't lose 3 lbs by next weigh in I am cut from it :-/
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    A doctor has never talked to me about my weight because I've only been slightly overweight. However, I always find myself weighing exactly 5 lbs more at the doctor than I do at home no matter what scale I have at the time and no matter what doctor I go see. I know my clothes are not 5 lbs. It's always nerve wracking and frustrating to get on their scale and see I'm still over 140 lbs according to them, but I'm 138 lbs at home, consistently, on both my digital and regular scale. Whatever.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A doctor has never talked to me about my weight because I've only been slightly overweight. However, I always find myself weighing exactly 5 lbs more at the doctor than I do at home no matter what scale I have at the time and no matter what doctor I go see. I know my clothes are not 5 lbs. It's always nerve wracking and frustrating to get on their scale and see I'm still over 140 lbs according to them, but I'm 138 lbs at home, consistently, on both my digital and regular scale. Whatever.

i did weigh my clothes once. it was almost exactly 5 pounds. go figure.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I dont mind weighing in at the docs. last year the doctor looked at my chart, then looked at me and asked "did you forget to put your purse down when the nurse weighed you in?" I laughed and told him the weight was right. He said "see the scale means nothing." I thought that was cute.
  • KeshiaBanks
    KeshiaBanks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lol,happened to me also. And besides,I had a big breakfast. Grrrr
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    i went to the dr in dec, at my heaviest, but my complaint was that i was gaining weight, so he didnt yell at me or anything, since he knew i was aware of it. went in mid jan again, and had started to lose a little bit ( i think 3 lbs then) and he said i was on the right track. went again last monday, and basically got a pack on the back. he does councel though. when he did a lung function test a long time ago he point blank told me the results made me look like i had emphysema and that i NEEDED to quit smoking (i did, 5 years smoke free YAY) and then again when he tested my cholesterol levels he said they looked like my diabetic mom's numbers and that i needed to do something. (they are great now)

I just want to say how amazing you are for following the Dr.'s advice and taking care of yourself. So many people never do listen they're in such denial, or they know but don't have the willpower to change. And also how good your doctor is to bring these topics up in a compassionate way.
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options
    Went to my Dr a week ago and was 1.2 lbs heavier than I was at home. Like others have said, it was mid afternoon, I had two meals in me, was clothed. So that to me meant my scale at home is pretty accurate as I weigh myself first thing in the morning, only in my undies and after a pee.