A little confused about net calories

Gallen88
Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So according to my fitness pal is this would i should be doing?

Calories Burned
From Normal Daily Activity 2,400 calories/day
Net Calories Consumed*
Your Daily Goal 1,390 calories/ day
Daily Calorie Deficit 1,010 calories
Projected Weight Loss 2.0 lbs/ week

I don't get it. In order for me to lose weight i have to burn more than i eat right? How is that even possible? I burned 582 calories with 53 mins of working out today.

I have already consumed 937 cals but burned 582 which means i have 355 that i have not burned right?

How is it possible to even burn 1000 something cals a day. I would have to be working out for at least an hour to 2hrs a day right?

Help me out here because this thing has me confused

Replies

• AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    If you burn 500 calories working out, you can eat an extra 500 calories if you want to.

I hope that helps.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    MFP estimates what you burn on a normal day before exercise - you burn calories just being alive, walking around, etc. This is based on your age/weight/height/gender and activity level (sedentary/lightly active, etc.) - this is 2400 calories/day (BEFORE any exercise!!)

So, if you eat 1390/day, then you have a deficit of 1010 calories/day, which is enough to lose 2 pounds per week.

Since you already have a 1000 calorie/day deficit, you should be eating back at least some of your exercise calories. It's not considered healthy to have too high of a deficit.

I've been doing this and eating back about 50-75% of exercise calories, and am losing steadily.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Accountant_boi took the words right out of my mouth... or off my fingers as the case may be. It's exactly the reply I was going to give. :)
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    I'm right there with you in the confusion. Hopefully someone can help shed the light. So far what I think I understand is that there is a certain "normal daily activity" number of some calories a day, let's say the 2400. If you burned 582, I would think that would be added to the 2400. Then you would subtract the goal of 1390 so leaves 1592 which I am guessing is how many calories you can have. I could be totally wrong, so I hope someone an help demystify this.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    Where are you guys seeing this daily number?
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    Never mind... I found it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    I'm right there with you in the confusion. Hopefully someone can help shed the light. So far what I think I understand is that there is a certain "normal daily activity" number of some calories a day, let's say the 2400. If you burned 582, I would think that would be added to the 2400. Then you would subtract the goal of 1390 so leaves 1592 which I am guessing is how many calories you can have. I could be totally wrong, so I hope someone an help demystify this.

Almost correct... Here's the math: if you normally burn 2400, then burn 582 exercising, that means you burned 2982 today. if you want a 1000 calorie deficit (to lose 2 lbs/week), that means you subtract 1000 from 2982 to get 1982 should be what you're eating today.

In case you don't know, 1 lbs loss = 3500 calorie deficit. 2 lbs per week = 7000 calories. 7000 calories over 7days = 1000 calorie deficit per day.

To make it easy - just add your exercise calories burned to your normal daily food goal - MPF does this automatically in your food diary. Try to eat at least some of your exercise calories.
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Ok so here is how I see it. I get 1500 cals a day. This is according to mfp recommended amount in order for me to lose 1.8 cals a week. So if I do nothing but eat 1500 cals- I should lose 1.8 lbs a week.
    Then if I exercise and burn like 145 I then have a total of 1645 cal. that I can eat.
    I am learning all of this myself :smile: Hope this answers your question!
  • So if without doing anything at all your body burns 2,400 calories per 24 hour. MFP set your daily calorie at 1,390 which means every day you are deficient 1,010 calories. Without exercise at all, you're deficient 7,070 calories per week. Devide 7,070 by 3,500 calories which equals 2 pound lost per week without counting any exercise at all.

Now, if you exercise, whatever you burn that day, you can add that to your daily allowence... example... if you burn 500 calories today, than you add 500 to 1, 390 and for today you can eat up to 1,890 calories.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    I do not suggest eating your exercise calories. As you need to burn 3500 calories in order to lose 1lb of fat (or eat 3500 less caloires). So to lose 2lbs of fat, you will need to burn/eat less 7000 calories a week.

So 1lbs of fat should come from exercising burning 500 calories a day.

The other should come from eating less 500 calories a day.
  • Gallen88
    MFP estimates what you burn on a normal day before exercise - you burn calories just being alive, walking around, etc. This is based on your age/weight/height/gender and activity level (sedentary/lightly active, etc.) - this is 2400 calories/day (BEFORE any exercise!!)

So, if you eat 1390/day, then you have a deficit of 1010 calories/day, which is enough to lose 2 pounds per week.

Since you already have a 1000 calorie/day deficit, you should be eating back at least some of your exercise calories. It's not considered healthy to have too high of a deficit.

I've been doing this and eating back about 50-75% of exercise calories, and am losing steadily.
    Please forgive me for being slow because i just don't get it. How would i get that type of deficit if i don't burn that many calories?
  • Mindful_Trent
    I do not suggest eating your exercise calories. As you need to burn 3500 calories in order to lose 1lb of fat (or eat 3500 less caloires). So to lose 2lbs of fat, you will need to burn/eat less 7000 calories a week.

So 1lbs of fat should come from exercising burning 500 calories a day.

The other should come from eating less 500 calories a day.

MFP works by calculating your deficit BEFORE any exercise. Exercise is extra. You are supposed to eat your exercise calories. I eat 50-75% of mine to leave room for error (overestimating what I've burned/underestimating what I've eaten). It works.
  • Mindful_Trent

Please forgive me for being slow because i just don't get it. How would i get that type of deficit if i don't burn that many calories?

But you DO burn that many calories just by being alive!! :flowerforyou: That's what MFP is telling you. You burn calories living, going to work, walking around your house, etc. MFP estimates that you burn 2400 calories per day on a normal day before exercise. Therefore, you can eat about 1400/day and get the deficit you need to lose 2 lbs/week, without any exercise. (Though I do highly recommend exercise - it increases how much you can eat and makes you fitter/healthier overall)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member

You burn calories just by being alive, breathing, heart beating, cell repair. Your 2400 number is that number, your calories your body used in 24 hours just being you.
    Then it tells you to eat approx 1000 less than that a day (the 1390 number) in order to lose 2 pounds a week.
    Any time you exercise, it makes that 1000 calorie deficit LARGER, which means you should EAT back those calories in order to keep your deficit at 1000, so you don't lose TOO fast or starve yourself.
    Just eat 1390 plus eat back your exercise calories and you should lose approx. 2 pounds a week over time. It may be 3 pounds on week, 1 the next, then none, then 2, ....but it will be an AVERAGE of 2 per week over time, until your body gets used to your routine and you plateau.....
  • Gallen88

But you DO burn that many calories just by being alive!! :flowerforyou: That's what MFP is telling you. You burn calories living, going to work, walking around your house, etc. MFP estimates that you burn 2400 calories per day on a normal day before exercise. Therefore, you can eat about 1400/day and get the deficit you need to lose 2 lbs/week, without any exercise. (Though I do highly recommend exercise - it increases how much you can eat and makes you fitter/healthier overall)

oh ok! so im starting to get it now! So on a daily basis i burn 2400 calories daily just walking around and everyday life but if im only trying to eat 1300 a day and im burning 2982 (582+2400) a day, then im in a serious deficit right??
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    I eat at least half of my excercise calories, been doing this since I started on July 1, 2010, and have consistently lost 2lbs every week. It works! Dont be afraid to eat those extra calories, just use them wisely.
  • Mindful_Trent

oh ok! so im starting to get it now! So on a daily basis i burn 2400 calories daily just walking around and everyday life but if im only trying to eat 1300 a day and im burning 2982 (582+2400) a day, then im in a serious deficit right??

Right! It's generally not considered safe to lose more than 2 lbs/week, which is why it's recommended you eat that extra 582 that you burned exercising. Too high of a deficit for too long could slow your metabolism down. Trust me - you're still benefiting from the exercise! I have a normal goal of 1200/day, but normally eat 1400-1600/day due to exercise (50-75% of exercise calories, sometimes more), and I lose weight steadily.
  • Gallen88

Right! It's generally not considered safe to lose more than 2 lbs/week, which is why it's recommended you eat that extra 582 that you burned exercising. Too high of a deficit for too long could slow your metabolism down. Trust me - you're still benefiting from the exercise! I have a normal goal of 1200/day, but normally eat 1400-1600/day due to exercise (50-75% of exercise calories, sometimes more), and I lose weight steadily.

Thats funny cuz i don't lose lbs, i lose body fat. I have actually gained 2lbs since i started workn out which im pretty sure is muscle
  • Mindful_Trent
    Thats funny cuz i don't lose lbs, i lose body fat. I have actually gained 2lbs since i started workn out which im pretty sure is muscle

Make sure you're drinking enough water - your body will hold onto more water weight when you don't, and for me it gets even worse if I don't drink enough when I'm exercising regularly. Also, if regular exercising is a pretty new thing, your muscles may be holding onto more water weight. This happens when I have particularly heavy workouts, regardless of how much water I drink.

It's actually pretty hard (almost impossible) to build muscle when in a deficit - you can improve/strengthen the muscle you do have, but you're not likely to actually build more.
  • Gallen88

Make sure you're drinking enough water - your body will hold onto more water weight when you don't, and for me it gets even worse if I don't drink enough when I'm exercising regularly. Also, if regular exercising is a pretty new thing, your muscles may be holding onto more water weight. This happens when I have particularly heavy workouts, regardless of how much water I drink.

It's actually pretty hard (almost impossible) to build muscle when in a deficit - you can improve/strengthen the muscle you do have, but you're not likely to actually build more.

Ok so my thing is what is the point of working out if im just putting it back anyway?
This discussion has been closed.