A little confused about net calories

2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Thats funny cuz i don't lose lbs, i lose body fat. I have actually gained 2lbs since i started workn out which im pretty sure is muscle

Make sure you're drinking enough water - your body will hold onto more water weight when you don't, and for me it gets even worse if I don't drink enough when I'm exercising regularly. Also, if regular exercising is a pretty new thing, your muscles may be holding onto more water weight. This happens when I have particularly heavy workouts, regardless of how much water I drink.

It's actually pretty hard (almost impossible) to build muscle when in a deficit - you can improve/strengthen the muscle you do have, but you're not likely to actually build more.

Ok so my thing is what is the point of working out if im just putting it back anyway?

1) I find it easier to lose weight when I exercise because I can eat more - eating more healthy food on a regular basis = less likely to binge

2) Exercise is SO Important for your overall health - it improves your stamina, your cardiovascular system (heart, lungs, etc.), it helps lower bad cholesterol... the list goes on and on

3) Exercise releases good chemicals in your body that can improve your mood (endorphins)

4) I really do FEEL better all over, and I sleep better when I exercise regularly.

5) When I reach my goal weight, I want to be fit and toned - I want to look good! I'm sorry, but skinny people who never exercise do NOT look good.

Do you have to exercise to lose weight? No. Will you feel better and more likely than not be more successful and look better in the end if you exercise? Yes.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Thats funny cuz i don't lose lbs, i lose body fat. I have actually gained 2lbs since i started workn out which im pretty sure is muscle

Make sure you're drinking enough water - your body will hold onto more water weight when you don't, and for me it gets even worse if I don't drink enough when I'm exercising regularly. Also, if regular exercising is a pretty new thing, your muscles may be holding onto more water weight. This happens when I have particularly heavy workouts, regardless of how much water I drink.

It's actually pretty hard (almost impossible) to build muscle when in a deficit - you can improve/strengthen the muscle you do have, but you're not likely to actually build more.

Ok so my thing is what is the point of working out if im just putting it back anyway?

1) I find it easier to lose weight when I exercise because I can eat more - eating more healthy food on a regular basis = less likely to binge

2) Exercise is SO Important for your overall health - it improves your stamina, your cardiovascular system (heart, lungs, etc.), it helps lower bad cholesterol... the list goes on and on

3) Exercise releases good chemicals in your body that can improve your mood (endorphins)

4) I really do FEEL better all over, and I sleep better when I exercise regularly.

5) When I reach my goal weight, I want to be fit and toned - I want to look good! I'm sorry, but skinny people who never exercise do NOT look good.

Do you have to exercise to lose weight? No. Will you feel better and more likely than not be more successful and look better in the end if you exercise? Yes.

Ok well its all starting to come together and make sense. Ima going to add u as a friend :happy:

Thanks!
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    I'm right there with you in the confusion. Hopefully someone can help shed the light. So far what I think I understand is that there is a certain "normal daily activity" number of some calories a day, let's say the 2400. If you burned 582, I would think that would be added to the 2400. Then you would subtract the goal of 1390 so leaves 1592 which I am guessing is how many calories you can have. I could be totally wrong, so I hope someone an help demystify this.

Almost correct... Here's the math: if you normally burn 2400, then burn 582 exercising, that means you burned 2982 today. if you want a 1000 calorie deficit (to lose 2 lbs/week), that means you subtract 1000 from 2982 to get 1982 should be what you're eating today.

In case you don't know, 1 lbs loss = 3500 calorie deficit. 2 lbs per week = 7000 calories. 7000 calories over 7days = 1000 calorie deficit per day.

To make it easy - just add your exercise calories burned to your normal daily food goal - MPF does this automatically in your food diary. Try to eat at least some of your exercise calories.

Except that if I burn, to use round numbers, 10 calories in one hour doing nothing, and then I go and work out and burn 50 calories in that hour, I'm not really burning 60, am I? I am only burning 50. Calories burned are not above and in addition to... they are calories burned in real time. Which is why I get a little nervous about putting too much stock in "eating" my exercise calories.
  • Mindful_Trent
    I'm right there with you in the confusion. Hopefully someone can help shed the light. So far what I think I understand is that there is a certain "normal daily activity" number of some calories a day, let's say the 2400. If you burned 582, I would think that would be added to the 2400. Then you would subtract the goal of 1390 so leaves 1592 which I am guessing is how many calories you can have. I could be totally wrong, so I hope someone an help demystify this.

Almost correct... Here's the math: if you normally burn 2400, then burn 582 exercising, that means you burned 2982 today. if you want a 1000 calorie deficit (to lose 2 lbs/week), that means you subtract 1000 from 2982 to get 1982 should be what you're eating today.

In case you don't know, 1 lbs loss = 3500 calorie deficit. 2 lbs per week = 7000 calories. 7000 calories over 7days = 1000 calorie deficit per day.

To make it easy - just add your exercise calories burned to your normal daily food goal - MPF does this automatically in your food diary. Try to eat at least some of your exercise calories.

Except that if I burn, to use round numbers, 10 calories in one hour doing nothing, and then I go and work out and burn 50 calories in that hour, I'm not really burning 60, am I? I am only burning 50. Calories burned are not above and in addition to... they are calories burned in real time. Which is why I get a little nervous about putting too much stock in "eating" my exercise calories.

You're right - in that example, only 50 calories are exercise calories. I back my "normal" calories out of exercise calories to account for this - most people don't think to do this, but if you really want to be accurate, you need to. To estimate your normal calories to back out, go to your goals page and get your "calories burned from normal daily activity" - divide that number by 24 to get your hourly "normal" burn rate. for me, it's about 90 cals/hour - I subtract this from any reading my HRM or Bodybugg give me.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    MFP estimates what you burn on a normal day before exercise - you burn calories just being alive, walking around, etc. This is based on your age/weight/height/gender and activity level (sedentary/lightly active, etc.) - this is 2400 calories/day (BEFORE any exercise!!)

So, if you eat 1390/day, then you have a deficit of 1010 calories/day, which is enough to lose 2 pounds per week.

Since you already have a 1000 calorie/day deficit, you should be eating back at least some of your exercise calories. It's not considered healthy to have too high of a deficit.

I've been doing this and eating back about 50-75% of exercise calories, and am losing steadily.
    Please forgive me for being slow because i just don't get it. How would i get that type of deficit if i don't burn that many calories?

But you DO burn that many calories just by being alive!! :flowerforyou: That's what MFP is telling you. You burn calories living, going to work, walking around your house, etc. MFP estimates that you burn 2400 calories per day on a normal day before exercise. Therefore, you can eat about 1400/day and get the deficit you need to lose 2 lbs/week, without any exercise. (Though I do highly recommend exercise - it increases how much you can eat and makes you fitter/healthier overall)

oh ok! so im starting to get it now! So on a daily basis i burn 2400 calories daily just walking around and everyday life but if im only trying to eat 1300 a day and im burning 2982 (582+2400) a day, then im in a serious deficit right??

Right! It's generally not considered safe to lose more than 2 lbs/week, which is why it's recommended you eat that extra 582 that you burned exercising. Too high of a deficit for too long could slow your metabolism down. Trust me - you're still benefiting from the exercise! I have a normal goal of 1200/day, but normally eat 1400-1600/day due to exercise (50-75% of exercise calories, sometimes more), and I lose weight steadily.

The average woman will gain about ten pounds of muscle a YEAR. Be sure that the two pounds you've gained are muscle.
  • Mindful_Trent
    The average woman will gain about ten pounds of muscle a YEAR. Be sure that the two pounds you've gained are muscle.

I'm very curious where you heard this from? I'm quite skeptical that the average woman gains that much muscle a year. Maybe a little muscle and more fat, but not all muscle! As you gain weight, some of that is going to be muscle to help support your body, but it takes work to gain weight and have most/all of that be muscle.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva

I'm very curious where you heard this from? I'm quite skeptical that the average woman gains that much muscle a year. Maybe a little muscle and more fat, but not all muscle! As you gain weight, some of that is going to be muscle to help support your body, but it takes work to gain weight and have most/all of that be muscle.

Rate of Gain
    Most people average about ½ lb. of muscle growth per week, notes CNN nutrition expert Dr. Melina Jampolis. Conduct regular strength training and adhere to specific dietary strategies to achieve this rate. According to the American Council on Exercise, most women will gain about 20 to 40 percent in muscular strength after several months of resistance training.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/198318-how-much-muscle-can-a-woman-gain-with-strength-training/#ixzz11cbfbUVc
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member

Rate of Gain
    Most people average about ½ lb. of muscle growth per week, notes CNN nutrition expert Dr. Melina Jampolis. Conduct regular strength training and adhere to specific dietary strategies to achieve this rate. According to the American Council on Exercise, most women will gain about 20 to 40 percent in muscular strength after several months of resistance training.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/198318-how-much-muscle-can-a-woman-gain-with-strength-training/#ixzz11cbfbUVc

I can live with that
  • Mindful_Trent

Rate of Gain

Ah - see the key there is that it's regular resistance (weight) training and specific dietary strategies - most women don't fall into this category. Your original post made it sound like the average woman gains 10 lbs of muscle a year without doing anything special.

The fact is that you have to eat extra calories (be in calorie excess) to gain muscle but you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Women on this site who are weight training while working to lose weight are not going to be gaining much (if any) muscle, but they will be strengthening existing muscle and becoming stronger that way.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva

Oh, okay. No, I didn't mean that "a" female will gain ten pounds of muscle mass over a year. It's, as you say, someone working towards the end. And I mention it so that when women who gain three pounds in one week won't fall into the "it must be muscle" trap. Amazing how people can think that a weekly weight gain is all muscle.
    :wink:

Rate of Gain

Ah - see the key there is that it's regular resistance (weight) training and specific dietary strategies - most women don't fall into this category. Your original post made it sound like the average woman gains 10 lbs of muscle a year without doing anything special.

The fact is that you have to eat extra calories (be in calorie excess) to gain muscle but you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Women on this site who are weight training while working to lose weight are not going to be gaining much (if any) muscle, but they will be strengthening existing muscle and becoming stronger that way.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva

Oh, okay. No, I didn't mean that "a" female will gain ten pounds of muscle mass over a year. It's, as you say, someone working towards the end. And I mention it so that when women who gain three pounds in one week won't fall into the "it must be muscle" trap. Amazing how people can think that a weekly weight gain is all muscle.
    :wink:

Rate of Gain

(I replied in the wrong section.)
This discussion has been closed.