I Hate my Gym/Confidence Issue

Options
I lost around 95 pounds (not using MFP- on my own) and lately I've just been feeling really bad about myself when I go to the gym. It all started when I started taking new classes and everyone, including the instructor, turned out to be endurance athletes. I live in SoCal, and currently in a VERY image-conscious part, and all I see in the gym are these tiny 5'10 blonde women with really long legs who I highly doubt ever had a weight problem in their lives. I just feel like I don't belong in this gym. It's high end, expensive, and doesn't live up to the hype or price in many ways, but the alternatives are very undesirable due overcrowding and general crappiness. In general, I enjoy the ritual of going to the gym; I often work out by myself but I also like to take spin.

On top of this, I have been struggling with health problems that cause me to bloat up, so my clothes are a bit tighter than normal and I feel even bigger, then I feel even worse when I observe the booty shorts around me. It's ridiculous because I started at the gym weighing 250 pounds and just did my thing. Now, I'm haunted by "not thin enough, not hot enough, and not enough of an athlete to be here." Imposter syndrome.

I'm mainly looking for commiseration by posting this and wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar.

Replies

• jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    while i haven't lost/regained, i have the confidence issue every time i walk in to the ymca. The looks of all the people judging me, at least in my head that's what they're doing. My solution is to say f' them. It's easy to get buff, it's a lot harder to shrink and become them so we're a step ahead.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    "Comparison is the thief of happiness."

You don't know these women at all. Many probably struggle every day, and are just as trapped by the image norms surrounding them as you are. Maybe you can try to make some friends and stop viewing them as a foreign species to yourself. If you can't, it sounds like that gym is a bad fit. ideally, you leave the gym feeling awesome, not down on yourself!

I also think that you are feeling some really normal stuff. I've heard that a lot of people are much more self-critical after losing weight, maybe because your self-esteem gets very tied to the work you're doing on your body. Can you shift your focus to performance goals? You know you rock- you lost 95 pounds!
  • carla22752
    carla22752 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I go with a friend I am not as uncomfortable. I care less about what others are doing and if anyone is looking at me. I guess its the whole strength in numbers thing. :) For me... working out is a lot more fun when I have someone to talk to also. Have you thought about possibly finding a gym buddy?
  • lexicon28
    Options
    I feel this way sometimes when I go to the gym at my university and am working out in the weight area. I have felt the "these girls look so nice in their cute little exercise outfits and here I am in my running shorts and a t-shirt that I acquired from who knows where" and I have thought the occasional "wow these people seem to really know what they're doing and I'm just some noob that knows nothing about lifting... i should just go back to my spin bike and give up."
    Cliffs:
    list of insecurities and thoughts to combat them
    basic point of post is: OP don't beat yourself up! You've come such a long way and have such great potential. :)
    keep your head up and benefit of spinning is they turn off the lights (at least the class I attend) to keep people focused on their own their own workout.

What I've tried to do to help fight against these thoughts and feelings is this:
    1. Just because they look nice in their little outfits doesn't mean that their fit, know what they're doing, or are judging me because of my outfit, size, lack of ability to push heavier weight than them (lol).
    2. To be honest I don't really know what exercises they do or the intensity that they do it at. I'm not watching them that closely which probably means they aren't watching me that closely either.
    3. They were noobs at one point too and didn't know what they were doing and probably felt just as insecure.
    4. They're only people too and I shouldn't judge them just like i don't want to be judged.
    5. Let them think what they want. I don't have any problems with people thinking whatever they want be it good or bad. I can't control that. Even if they were to come up to me and say something rude I still wouldn't care about what they said. Just shows that they are still insecure and need to feel superior to someone else in order to stroke their own egos. :/, but from what i've found most people in the gym a)don't care what you're doing and b) are there for fitness and are generally very nice

The list could go longer, but inb4 too long didn't read ;)

regardless of all that though everyone has their insecurities. It's just up to you if you're going to let it hold you back and stop you from achieving what you want, plus people are more than likely not thinking about anything else besides their own work out.
    Hope this helped.
    Best of luck OP.
    :)
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "Comparison is the thief of happiness."

I love this quote, why have I never heard it before?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be rude at all, so take it exactly as I say it, no subtext, alright?

Don't watch the 5'10 blondes. Put your head down and do your work. Worry about yourself. Work out so hard that the very idea of pausing to people watch becomes absurd. Keep doing this until you stop caring.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on the gym. I love my gym, and go religiously. If anyone looks at you judgingly, that's their problem. I personally have lost 60+ pounds in the last year and a half because of my gym. I'm now a biker and runner, and training for my first marathon.

BUT

I still remember when I started at the gym, and saw a lot of people who were in much better shape. I didn't worry about it though. That is kind of the point of the gym. You are using the gym so that you can get in shape and get healthier.

Personally, when I'm on the treadmill running 5-7 miles at a 9:00 pace, and someone who is overweight hops on the treadmill next to me and goes for a walk or a short jog, I personally think to myself "Kudos to that person. He/she making him/herself healthier". Anyone who goes to the gym or goes for a walk or run or bike ride, no matter what their current physical condition is taking control of their future.

Maybe I'm in the minority of gym users. I couldn't tell you what percentage of gym users are judgmental gym snobs and what percentage are like me. But you know what? It does not matter. If you let that worry you, you get off track from your own personal goals. You are not trying to run faster or farther than the girl next to you. You aren't trying to bench press more than that guy over there. You aren't trying to compete in any way with anyone else at that gym. You are competing with yourself. YOU set YOUR OWN goals. YOU are competing with YOURSELF. Anyone that says or thinks differently deserves to be ignored.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Before i started mfp, whenever i saw a slim/skinny person jogging down the street, i used to think "wtf are they jogging? not like they have anything to lose". Then i started mfp and it made me realise that just because someone is slim or skinny does not mean they aren't going through their own battles. Many people exercise for various reasons e.g weight loss, to relieve stress, to eat more food while not compromising their body. It's the reason why a ton of mfp losers keep up with their calorie counting and exercise cos no one wants to start the cycle all over again. Now, imagine if someone thought just because they looked great, they've probably never had to struggle with their weight. Point is, don't judge or jump to conclusions as to why someone else is at the gym

No one is looking at you nor pointing at you and even if they are, tough s**t, they can watch you turn into greatness. Go to the gym, do your thing, walk out like a soldier!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the great weight loss! I go to a Crossfit type gym and at 48, I am probably one of the weakest and slowest in the class. I have to make a conscious effort to not look or compare myself to anyone else. Many of the other members who were at or below my skill level have quit.
    Good luck, I say keep doing what you are doing without comparing yourself to them. You have proven your strength and commitment with such a great loss!!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Some people are bigger than me and some people are smaller than me. Me personally, I am inspired by women who have great toned figures. I look at them and it makes me work harder to get my results. As for the larger women, at times, I am inspired by them as well. If they are here busting their butts, so can I. It goes both ways.....
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.. i dont go to a gym, but ive been trying to start running around the neighborhood. and its so hard because even if no one is out, i imagine them looking out their windows and judging me.. i know how ridiculous that is, but when im there and doing it, it doesnt feel ridiculous at all.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would also like to add that the fit people at the gym is actually helpful if you look at it this way - they have to work at it too. Somehow I assumed that MOST beautiful people that weren't packing a ton of muscle came by their bodies fairly easy. I knew they didn't eat like me but I had no idea how much dedication it took for some people. Why assume they were never large and even if not why not admire them for putting in this constant work. They look and feel better than the current me but if I can put in the work than I too will look and feel better than the current me. I especially love the older fit ladies, I would love to be that active and be able to enjoy my later years.

Fit women in the gym give me hope.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can commiserate. I think a lot of people avoid the gym for this reason. If it makes you feel so bad you don't want to go, I suggest you find a different form of exercise that you do feel comfortable doing. Some people can tune it out and hats off to them. That really is the best attitude to have. I can go and do my thing and ignore everything around me but I realized that I really don't enjoy it. But maybe that's because I have never been a gym rat to begin with. thomaszabel is completely right...if you can gain that mindset then that is the best thing you can do. If not, there are also tons of ways to exercise that don't involve a gym.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    "I still remember when I started at the gym, and saw a lot of people who were in much better shape. I didn't worry about it though. That is kind of the point of the gym. You are using the gym so that you can get in shape and get healthier.

Personally, when I'm on the treadmill running 5-7 miles at a 9:00 pace, and someone who is overweight hops on the treadmill next to me and goes for a walk or a short jog, I personally think to myself "Kudos to that person. He/she making him/herself healthier". Anyone who goes to the gym or goes for a walk or run or bike ride, no matter what their current physical condition is taking control of their future.

Maybe I'm in the minority of gym users. I couldn't tell you what percentage of gym users are judgmental gym snobs and what percentage are like me. But you know what? It does not matter. If you let that worry you, you get off track from your own personal goals. You are not trying to run faster or farther than the girl next to you. You aren't trying to bench press more than that guy over there. You aren't trying to compete in any way with anyone else at that gym. You are competing with yourself. YOU set YOUR OWN goals. YOU are competing with YOURSELF. Anyone that says or thinks differently deserves to be ignored.

I go to the gym to workout and take care my body, and I see people in there doing the same, I don't care in what shape they are, I may be selfish but I want to focus on myself, I don't really care if they judge me or not.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    trust me when i say that most people do not think twice about you.

not to be rude, i am sure there are people that think about you all the time and love you forever, but most people, most strangers may shoot you a glance and then you are simply erased from their mind forever.

i get it. i battled through it myself initially. but currently, i couldn't pick a single person that i recenly worked out beside out of a line-up. not a fat person, not a thin person, not even a really hot person. sounds crazy, but i am so focused that i am in and and out and there to get the job done. keep it up, you are doing amazing. :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    It's a mind over matter thing for me. I pay big bucks to be there and use all their resources just like everyone else. No one is going to run me out because of my insecurities. I figure, if they don't like looking at me, they can leave.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Watch this video, don't base yourself on the title, listen and you'll see why it relates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpqKknfijM
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be rude at all, so take it exactly as I say it, no subtext, alright?

Don't watch the 5'10 blondes. Put your head down and do your work. Worry about yourself. Work out so hard that the very idea of pausing to people watch becomes absurd. Keep doing this until you stop caring.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:

^^ This. All day long. :flowerforyou:
  • thatredheadedBAMF
    thatredheadedBAMF Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know no one is looking at me. I'm not thinking that they are thinking anything about me.

It's also more like resentment as opposed to intimidation. Many of these people seem to show up after me, leave before me, and don't break a sweat. We have a few bad *kitten* women that lift heavy and I feel admiration for those people (I'm sure they are concerned, LOL).

I'm not even going to sugar-coat it. My entire self-worth is wrapped up in my appearance. I was fat for the first 30 years of my life and no one ever let me forget it. I knew what fat was and that it was bad when I was five years old. When I lost all this weight, people acted like I hit the lottery. Nothing happened and nothing really changed. Of course I feel better physically. But I'm still single and I have the same career. Now I can shop in stores that carry regular sizes and I have this burden of maintaining the weight or losing more. I've been around the same weight for a few years now, so it isn't like this is brand new. This gym is new to me, however, and so is this environment.

I have no goals. That's part of the problem. It's been "Yay I'm a not fat anymore! ...now what?" I have no desire to be an endurance athlete. I have a couple of gym buddies from spin and when I was taking running and swimming classes, but I got hurt running (no modifications were offered for new people) and I suck at swimming, so I stopped going to both and obviously they aren't my gym buddies anymore.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Gym-going in SoCal is a nightmare. I hate my gym right now. It's over-crowded, I'm always the only girl using actual adult-sized weights (not the cute little 5-pounders that the other girls use) and if one more guy interrupts me to hit on me, I'm going to knee him in the junk and run away. I still prefer it to the super shiny gyms where everyone else is 5'10" and blonde, though.

At some point, you really just have to say "eff it, I'm going to do what I can do. As long as it's better than what I did yesterday, I'm calling it a win." If they want to interrupt their workout to stare at my sweaty, short little self, with my hair that's usually doing something weird and my makeup that's melting off, that just means they're not getting their burn in. Just rock your own workout and don't worry about them.

Chances are, there's something you can do that they can't. (This attitude comes in REALLY handy when I'm feeling insecure about my wimpy upper days. I just have to remind myself that there probably isn't one muscle-bound guy in the gym who could keep up with me on leg days).