New favorite treat?

Options
KaysKidz
KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
For those of us who have elected to give up certain foods, what new treat have you found that helps keep you on track? I have found Green Giant Multugrain Sweet Potato chips for those times when nothing but a chip will do! They are 40 calories less per serving then Lays. And oh so yummy. They are high in sodium, so I still have to be responsible with how often I get to have them. But it is nice to find delcious lower calorie treats. :)

And my sub for ice cream....homemade frozen yogurt. :) About half the calories and you get to control all that goes into it! Minus the yogurt part. I do buy Greek yogurt as my base and let my imagination run wild! Last night was peach. :)

Replies

• Jaminjo2
    Jaminjo2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy over homemade kale chips. 70 calories for 2 cups and they crunch like chips. You can make them any flavor you want. So far my favorite is sea salt and red pepper flakes.
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    Apples with cinnamon! :love:
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Greek yogurt and Larabars
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I consider my protein shake a treat. It's 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, a big handful of baby spinach, 1 tbsp PB2, and 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder. I add a few ice cubes and blend it all together for an absolutely delicious shake totaling 240 calories and 31 g protein. I haven't measured how much the drink ends up being, but I'd say it's at least 20 oz.

I feel like I cheated by saying my protein shake, so here's another one: fruit. Did I cheat again? :) Strawberries and grapes are my favorite "desserts."
  • KaysKidz
    Options
    I have strawberries AND grapes in my fridge! Yummy!
  • KaysKidz
    Options

What is a Larabar?
  • GelasiaT
    GelasiaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well for me I would have to say chocolate was a big fave of mine. Now when I want chocolate instead of grabbing a candy bar I eat a Kashi Chocolate Almond Butter Cookie. One cookie is 130 cals, and only 7 g of sugar. They are delicious!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Last year when I started MFP my go-to was Clif Z bars, the small 120-150 calorie ones made for kids. Really good, especially the iced oatmeal cookie and fudge brownie ones. They taste kind of like a fig Newton, but much better and quite satisfying.

Once in awhile when only chocolate will do, I have either 10-15 semisweet chocolate chips with 5-8 unsalted almonds, peanuts, or cashews or 1 T. of marshmallow crème....or 1 T. of Nutkao or Trader Joe's cookie butter (yes, on a spoon hehe).

String cheese and boiled eggs are two of my favorites now, and I'm currently into the light cheese wedges from Aldi (similar to Laughing Cow but much cheaper) - just 25 cal!

ETA: I can't believe I left this out...my husband and I both really like dark chocolate but are capable of not eating it all in one go (can't be said for some other treats!) so we stock up on Ghirardelli Intense Dark bars and enjoy 1 square most days with our lunch.
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've really been loving cottage cheese and strawberries. Yum!
  • Annnimal
    Annnimal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love tortilla chips with salsa but chips are bad ! I have found natures chips as a replacement ~sliced cucumbers ! scoop up your salsa with that ! so good !
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

What is a Larabar?

Oh man. They are delicious. Normally found near the protein bars and stuff. They're basically fruit and nuts combined to make different flavors like Chocolate Chip or Peanut Butter Cookie. Around 220 calories a piece. I typically have one every day.

http://www.larabar.com/
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Avocados and Granny Smith Apples!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, completely, I think... but reduced the intake of items that tend to trigger bingeing. Like ice cream, cookies, hot dogs, chocolate and chips. I have replaced most of it, though, with foods that are delicious and indulgent but also satisfying, not necessarily low in calories, but I work them into my day. Like for instance, today I had reduced fat Turkish yoghurt mixed with maple syrup and almond butter, and later grapes and brie; tomorrow I'll have a strawberry banana (milk and yoghurt) smoothie, and apple slices dipped in peanut butter. I eat a lot of fruit, three servings a day. And quite a lot of nuts. I also make tuna or ham salad with mayonnaise and chopped onions and eat it on crispbread. I use butter in my oatmeal (porridge). Oh, I love food :laugh:
  • CarrieAnnH14
    CarrieAnnH14 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How do you make your Kale Chips? I would love to give it a try.
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    SkinnyPop- delicious, filling popcorn for when I need something salty.

Midnight Reverie- dark chocolate square to meet my sweet tooth.

Strawberries, grapes, cuties, light baby bells, nature valley almond bars, apples and peanut butter, ANYTHING w/ HUMMUS.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Wow these all sound great. I love sugar free jello cups. 5 calories. Some would say they are "empty", but I say they are filled with happiness and smiles.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call these treats but i can't get enough pink lady apples and weight watchers fromage frais yoghurts. I've given chocolate up for lent, but i do have a freddo frog or two a night with a hot chocolate drink.
  • hellakellasee
    hellakellasee Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    that teaspoon of peanut butter with a sliced apple after an insanity workout.....omg people, its amazing
  • eherte
    eherte Posts: 9
    Options
    I recently found a new treat. Harvest Peach Herbal tea. It sounds strange, but it tastes like peach strudle, and i get to have multiple cups a day with no guilt since there are no calories. And for when I get the munchies, almonds, except the calories add up quick, but at least it is healthy and gives me some energy.
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Roasted Seaweed *LOVE!* (I get mine from Trader Joe's but I sometimes eat other brands especially Annie Chun's), Sliced Apple & Almonds together, Vitalicious Vita Tops in Carrot Cake (these are very good and loaded with fiber, only 100 calories each!), a single plum (I didn't each them much, but picked up a pack from Trader Joe's and it makes a cool snack).