how to cope with Easter?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I also gave up chocolate for Lent - will have small amount on Easter Sunday.
    Am going away for Easter weekend - will log everything as accurately as possible - might go over calorie allowance some days but I log it anyway and then move on.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance. But I agree, just eat moderately but definitely don't deprive yourself at all. Btw, I don't know how you celebrate, but I fast on Good Friday (don't eat between meals just three square ones). So I have spare calories to work with while also being a good Catholic!
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know about where you are but in Australia, Easter is just a never ending supply of chocolate and big lunches and dinners.
    How are you going to cope with it? Are you going to log/or not? Or maybe go for a 10 mile run after lunch?

Any ideas would be great because I am totally freaking out about it right now :ohwell:
    There are temptations around me each day, Easter is no different. I have a dinner planned. Turkey, veggies, rolls for the family, potatoes for the family. I will have turkey and a salad. Dessert is cake. I will have hot cocoa with whipped cream and pecans. They can have the candy; it doesn't serve me; it only makes me eat more and then hate myself:/ I don't wanna feel that way. Plan ahead; that is the very best thing you can do. For those whose bodies CAN process it, a few pieces of candy---go by the serving size, will not be of harm to you. I gain weight rapidly and just choose to back away from all of it. Log accurately and try to get a workout in early in the morning or in the evening. Orrrrrrr………work out on Friday and saturday, used Sunday for a recovery day, and back to the working out on Monday.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm flying to Paris this Saturday for holiday and even if I live in the UK and can see the chocolate madness around me, I'm Spanish and we never used to do chocolate or big meals for Easter so... it won't change. I'm going to substitute chocolate for proper French cheese and red wine :love: :love: :drinker: :drinker:
    Love, love, love that idea:)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Easter in Canada, it's chocolate, big family dinners, lots of food, lots of chocolate.

So basically just a normal weekend for me.
    I log everything, including my daily chocolate.

Not logging it doesn't affect anyone but you.

Enjoy the little things, moderation is key!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Is this a support group?
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I told everyone to not buy me any eggs, and if they have them, don't offer them to me.
    Also, I have enough willpower to not eat them
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My family always gets together on Easter. I give myself cheat days here and there rewarding myself for all the hard work. Easter will be one of this days.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I say don't log for a couple days and eat whatever you want and then go back to the "grind". I find it more unhealthy worrying about food during holidays than eating some chocolate for a couple days a year!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant and due on Easter Sun. If the baby is on time, I feel I will deserve a huge Easter egg :smile: If she's late, I will enjoy an egg anyway!

I'm in England and Easter eggs have been in the shops for ages. We don't do big meals over Easter, but people keep giving me chocolate for the kids (they're 2 and 4) and I wish they wouldn't! I've hidden it.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant and due on Easter Sun. If the baby is on time, I feel I will deserve a huge Easter egg :smile: If she's late, I will enjoy an egg anyway!

I'm in England and Easter eggs have been in the shops for ages. We don't do big meals over Easter, but people keep giving me chocolate for the kids (they're 2 and 4) and I wish they wouldn't! I've hidden it.

Best of luck to you with your delivery and enjoy your new addition!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    So you are planning to lose weight over Easter then :D

Good luck and happy birthing.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    So you are planning to lose weight over Easter then :D

Good luck and happy birthing.

Lol yes, I reckon at least 10lbs (baby, placenta etc), so what harm can an Easter egg do? Or one of those huge Lindt bunnies!
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Im cooking a family roast dinner for easter with all the trimmings and am happy to serve it up and wash up, but I wont be sitting down and eating any of it. A huge roast lamb dinner with yorkshire puddings, gravy, roast potatos, stuffing etc would be enough calories for a week, so I plan on preparing a salad in advance and taking mine into the garden to eat whilst family eat their dinner, this way I wont see anyone eating and can sit and enjoy the sun on my face. I wont be eating easter eggs either, I got fat eating this crap and now I look upon all of it as just poison/sugar. I dont feel im being denied anything I feel liberated from eating rubbish & chemicals. I compare it to how I felt when i stopped smoking, I didnt have a cigarette on special occasions. I dont need chocolate on special occasions either. When Im done with this diet I dont plan on eating chocolate, cakes, crisps anything ever again for the rest of my life. Ive lost weight and put it back on before telling myself I can eat what I like, the fact is I cant, the only way Im going to lose weight and stay slim is to log, lose weight and maintain for the rest of my life.
  • volsgurl86
    Options
    If you have children then just enjoy it in moderation. If you do not... do not buy the candy and if someone offers it then put it in your purse and pass it off to the next person. Drink plenty of water in the morning so you will not have room to gorge yourself on high calorie food. I like making tasting plates when I go to eat at other people's houses. I do not eat everyone's cooking and I also try to be polite so I will take a small bite size amount of everything to look like I am trying the food when in fact I am only consuming the calories of what I really want and not wasting them on something gross! I plan on working out on my rest day which is saturday and doing some strength training Sunday morning to get my metabolism going so I will not feel as guilty about having dessert and bread.

Remember that you need to have a healthy relationship with food.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Log Everything, no point in not logging it's really just your tool.
    Eat everything in moderation, deprive yourself and panic and you will be more likely to binge and really go off the rails, this is a life long journey not a sprint, you can't panic about big holidays for the rest of your life. Eat a little less in the lead up and a little less post Easter and look at your 7 day average. a couple of big days will not be an issue in the bigger scheme of things. Maybe do some extra exercise over the course of the week as well.
    Easter will be no different once you are at your goal weight so may as well learn to enjoy everything in moderation now
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia as well and here it's a looong weekend (the longest of the year, in fact), starting with Good Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and in some states even still a bank holiday on Tueday. I'm not expecting to receive chocolate but I bought myself some Easter Bunny pralines (YUMM!) and hot cross buns, being German born & bred, I'll also dye a dozen boiled eggs :), all of which I will enjoy slowly over time and log them until they're gone.

I'm also going to have a cheat dinner Good Friday (going to see family and it's likely going to be battered, deep fried fish & chips dinner) and I'm aiming for roughly maintenance the rest of the weekend, logging all of it as best I can. It's what I did over the Christmas/New Years period and to my great surprise I actually ended up losing weight (go figure!!)

I agree, holidays don't happen all the time and one weekend (and maybe a couple of extra days in moderation until left-overs are gone) won't make any difference in the long run. But I do keep logging so that I don't break the habit and fall off the wagon because of that.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Easter is a big family holiday for us. Lots of food and people. I've been staying under my calorie goal so that I can eat whatever I want and not worry about it, and instead focus on enjoying time with my loved ones.

This for me too. I'll do a big workout that day to offset the extra calories and will enjoy the day with my family.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    We're having the family over for dinner but I'll be careful to try to eat in moderation. But I give myself a bit of a pass on holidays. One day isn't going to wreck you as long as you don't stuff yourself. Get some exercise too.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Made to order cadbury omelets. Chocolate hasenpfeffer.