Those DUMB 30 day squat challenges

Options

Replies

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Planking would be totally different! Planks are great and I use them a lot for core strength! Just seeing a lot of women falling into these traps

Obviously if it gets people moving, it's NOT a trap. I did it last month in addition to my strength training. Still got a good burn going, so who cares?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pushups are different as well, I do 30 a day for fun. Good job on your progress! Stronglifts is legit and I hope you enjoy it
    Why are pushup and plank challenges not dumb but squats are? They're all body weight exercises working different body parts.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    So don't do it and don't worry about if someone complains that they didn't get whatever results they wanted. I mean does it really impact your life that much?

Problem solved.

BOOM!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I tried one of those challenges once. It was a push up challenge. Ended up pulling my ab muscles. I didn't even realize that was possible and it HURT!!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Pushups are different as well, I do 30 a day for fun. Good job on your progress! Stronglifts is legit and I hope you enjoy it
    Why are pushup and plank challenges not dumb but squats are? They're all body weight exercises working different body parts.

Because they're doing strong lifts too is my guess.

This makes me want to do a 30 day squat challenge just because :glasses:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Agreed. This thread seems rather pointless.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    here's my theory/
    Anybody on a fitness website who decides to complain others actually moving their bodies and exercising...

Well... They should be hit. Hard.

STFU.

In a world full of lazy potatoes, I won't get on here and complain if somebody takes part in a "30 day unicycle" challenge.
    They are moving instead of sitting on the couch watching Maury.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    here's my theory/
    Anybody on a fitness website who decides to complain others actually moving their bodies and exercising...

STFU.

In a world full of lazy potatoes, I won't get on here and complain if somebody takes part in a "30 day unicycle" challenge.

:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If you can ignore the ranting tone, it is indeed a good article.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It was god awful on my back and knees. 30 day challenge is stupid, BUT it did start me doing an actual daily squat rutine, and my butt thanks me for it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    here's my theory/

STFU.

:laugh: Well said!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    My motto is if it works for you use it. Don't like it, don't do it. No, seriously..........
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

lol

Me, too. I'm a rebel like that. But I actually tried one once and it was beneath my level (I wasn't lifting, but I do a lot of walkin and running that involved super steep hills) so I got bored and decided not to bother. However, I know people who struggled with it because they weren't in shape when they started. It's a good place to start.

I also attempted a pushup challenge. I used to be able to do quite a few, but I broke both my arms (basically) last summer. The thing started with 5 and that was tough! But I kept getting sick and having to start over and finally gave up. Now I just lift.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    here's my theory/

STFU.

:flowerforyou:

I'm giving you one too :flowerforyou:
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

lol

Me, too. I'm a rebel like that. But I actually tried one once and it was beneath my level (I wasn't lifting, but I do a lot of walkin and running that involved super steep hills) so I got bored and decided not to bother. However, I know people who struggled with it because they weren't in shape when they started. It's a good place to start.

I also attempted a pushup challenge. I used to be able to do quite a few, but I broke both my arms (basically) last summer. The thing started with 5 and that was tough! But I kept getting sick and having to start over and finally gave up. Now I just lift.

I'm in shape but I just want to do it just because. LOL. On days where I couldn't get to the gym I have done body weight squats and I have felt it the next day in a BIG way.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

If you can ignore the ranting tone, it is indeed a good article.

Haha, agreed. But you take what you can get in huffpost.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I added a 90 days burpee challenge to my regular exercise , and the difference after a month was very noticeable, to this day I have a love/hate relationship with them but do a version of them everyday, so Id say the challenges arent dumb if they get you up and moving
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It was god awful on my back and knees. 30 day challenge is stupid, BUT it did start me doing an actual daily squat rutine, and my butt thanks me for it!

So it was stupid yet it got you to move/start a squat routine and your booty thanks you for it? :noway:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I'm not the OP, but I'd guess it's because body weight squats are too easy for most people, while planks and push-ups are hard. Doing 100 reps of any exercise = cardio. I'm relatively strong and can only do a 60-plank 3 times, and only about 3 sets of 10 push-ups. Doing body squats until failure would hurt my knees before fatiguing my muscles.