Co-workers are not about this life...

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Unless you make a lot of comments about their diets, or you have a holier than thou attitude about your diet, it's doubtful that everyone cares enough to, well....care what you are eating. Keep your diet to yourself, say no to going out and let it be. If you really need an excuse to say no, saving money is a great one.

But, seriously, most people couldn't care less about other people's diets unless that diet is being discussed on the regular.

This. . I'm sorry. .but all that "eye rolling" and "dirty looks" is in your head. . Just keep doing what you're doing and don't feel so self-conscious about it!. . And why not go with them. . say. . once a week. . (you say they go everyday). . You'll get some time socializing with all these judgemental people and you can order a salad to really piss them off!

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree. I get comments all the time. If I turn down something sweet, I get..."you're skinny now, you can eat what you want" or if someone sees me cutting up my apple in the breakroom, its "how much more weight you want to lose?" or "still eating healthy?" A couple of weeks ago, at my grandmother's 90th birthday party, I got comments about how much I was eating, or if it was OK for me to eat a certain food. At no time did I comment on what anyone else was eating. I do not preach my healthy lifestyle, I don't make comments about what others eat, but for some reason people thinks its ok to make comments about what I eat. This is very real.

For the OP, just say no thank you. You don't need an excuse or give a reason. Just say no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I share an office with 3 people who are SO not about the healthy life. They eat out daily and give me dirty looks about my healthy eating.. Not to mention the 30 other people at the work place who roll their eyes at my brown rice and chicken in the break room… Anyway, any tips for turning them down when they invite me out to eat all the time?
    It's great that you want to eat more nutritiously, but eating out daily DOESN'T mean one is unhealthy. I eat out at least 3 times a week. Not to mention you may not know what they are really eating or how they eat at home.
    If you don't want to go out, just say no. They'll stop asking you out after enough of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Unless you make a lot of comments about their diets, or you have a holier than thou attitude about your diet, it's doubtful that everyone cares enough to, well....care what you are eating. Keep your diet to yourself, say no to going out and let it be. If you really need an excuse to say no, saving money is a great one.

But, seriously, most people couldn't care less about other people's diets unless that diet is being discussed on the regular.
    THIS. People who are convinced that people have attitudes about what they eat, are usually the ones who preach to others about how to eat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No thank u and Im trying to get my body healthy
    Wrong answer. You're implying to them that they aren't healthy and they are going about it all wrong.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, just because people eat out doesn't mean they aren't making reasonably healthy choices.

If you're certain they're all "behaving badly", then repeat as often as necessary "No thanks, I brought my lunch".

Otherwise start suggesting places to go where you know you can find things that are "food journal friendly".
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I keep quiet about what I do, but my coworkers see me eating all day long (take a look at my diary). So, I don't invite the discussion, but it always seems to find me. And it's almost always followed up with "naturally thin," "young metabolism," and/or "just wait til you're 40." I guess this could go both ways lol
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    Sometimes you can find someone you work with who is trying to lose weight too and you can usually support each other! That sucks that at your work place everyone is a frigid b****! Just do what you have to do to reach your goals and when you do, and they ask you, "OMG how did you do it!?" I would remind them of the dirty looks they gave you when you DID make those smart choices to get to where you are! Rub it in their face!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    "No thanks, I'm on an epic weight loss gurney and that is what I would consider sabotage"

Fixed your spelling
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The thing is- when you start making choices- or turning down food- it becomes personal- so if you are making comments about "trying to eat healthy and what not" people take it further.

I try to cage my responses based on what I'm getting- I am clear about what I do- and I reserve the "If I want to look like you- I'd eat like you" comments for the people who are extremely push and rude about.

What people struggle with most for me is the fact that one day I'm eating every thing in site- and the next day I'm not eating hardly anything and I've got pre-weighed food etc etc... this concept seems completely foreign to them- so it takes some adjusting.

I also find- goals- if you are bringing up goals it helps drive the conversation and shift away from teh food itself.

like- i'm trying to put on weight- god say that as a woman and it's like you have 3 eyes. Well- I need to get bigger so I can have better lifts- I'm doing X with my lifting. So my food is supporting that.

or- I'm doing a lot of lifting- but I Need to drop body fat so I'm being more particular with my food so i can get X look but still maintain Y lifts.

goes a long way it seems.. .and it makes people feel less uncomfortable about the "I'm trying to eat healthier" reverse judgement that they bring to that when someone starts declining food.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Just bring your own lunch with you and go out with them. The café really won't care. You can order a beverage and eat your own out of your sack. If its a microwaveable, then that wouldn't work. I have done that before, brought my own lunch and sat with a group of coworkers while they ate fast food or something along that line.

I used to get ragged on cuz I wouldn't eat any store-bought cakes brought in. They backed off of me when I told em I was leaving more cake for them to have :laugh:
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't really want you to go out to eat with them. Maybe they are just trying to be polite by asking you so you don't feel left out.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A coworker once told me my lunch looked like poop.

It was a Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Bar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, just because people eat out doesn't mean they aren't making reasonably healthy choices.

I think this is a good point. My husband and I love sweets for "treats" and get them often. People who see us at the ice cream shop don't know that we walked a few miles to get there and ate a super healthy tofu stir fry with loads of vegetables in it for dinner.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Typical conversation in my office....

Co-worker-"Hey, Eric. We are going to the Thai place down the street, wanna go?"
    Me-"Hey, Guy, why don't you go to your $hitty Thai place and munch on some K9 beef?"
    Co-worker-"I will, while you sit there with your weak *kitten* steamed broccoli and baked chicken. I hope you choke on it!"
    Me-"Good luck with the green apple splatters that you're gonna get from eating that greasy *kitten* you call food!!"
    Co-worker-"Go F yourself!"
    Me-"Suck this!!"
    Co-worker-"See you at the 2 o'clock meeting?"
    Me-"Yeah see you there."
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Burpees.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I brought my own lunch but thanks.

I can't stand people like that. I just make it very clear my food choices are about me- I'm not asking anyone to eat them- and I please don't take my food desicions personally (like not eating cake or whatever- tha'ts a big one)

"how do you eat that" or even worse "I could never eat that"
    response
    >>because I like it and it is going to fit my goals
    >> I don't' seem to recall asking you to eat it

I work for a very large department- and we hire quiet a number of people- from all different backgrounds- so it's common for people to stop eating- or have dietary restrictions due to their culture or religion... I whip that card out all the time when I tell them I'm not eating x food at this time- I just tell them it's fasting time for the church of iron.

I seriously don't have time for people like that. My food choices are like me wearing make up at the gym- it doesn't affect you at all- so stop coping an attitude about it.

my number one come back is

"If I wanted to look like you- I'd eat like you."

That being said- it is good to go out and eat with your coworkers occasionally- I just plan around it and do the best I can. But it's good for moral to GO do things with them- even if it means bringing your own lunch- or going a little hungry (I will sometimes only eat a lip service salad - save money and go back and eat my delicious lunch at my desk)
    This. Your posts are always bang on :flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

pro-tip: avoid bringing those near the country club pool.

turd-pool.gif
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I always get weird looks when I heat up my Quest bar and load a spoonful of PB on it and IDGAF!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Reason why I always eat at my desk.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    "If I wanted to look like you- I'd eat like you."

Oh I have to borrow this one! Best comeback ever! :flowerforyou: